Question SOLVED: TV won't display at 4k 60hz

Apr 1, 2022
My TV won't connect at 4k 60hz, it will only let me do 30hz. I used to be able to connect my tv and then reconnect the HDMI cable I was using and it'd let me select 60hz, but that doesn't seem to work any more either.

My TV is a Kogan 4K TV Series 9, XU9220 which has HDMI 2.0 ports, my graphics card I am connecting to is an MSI RTX 3070 gaming x trio with HDMI 2.1 and DP 1.4a.

I have used multiple cables (both DP to HDMI and HDMI) that are 4k 60hz capable so it's very unlikely it's a cable issue, and the TV supports 4k at 60hz as well as my GPU so there should be no compatibility issues there, I am stumped and just wanna play some games in 4k :(

GPU: https://www.msi.com/Graphics-Card/GeForce-RTX-3070-GAMING-X-TRIO/Specification
TV: https://www.kogan.com/au/buy/kogan-50-4k-uhd-hdr-led-smart-tv-android-tv-series-9-xu9220c/
Current Cable: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/114128200564 (specifically the 8k 6ft braided cable)

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2022
Make sure to enable 'enhanced mode' on specific input being used on TV.
I had a look for a setting like this, but couldn't find it on my TV.
No settings have been altered since it used to temperamentally accept 60hz.

EDIT: It was the EDID settings that were greyed out on auto, but I somehow managed to force it and changed it to 2.0. Thanks for getting me to try and pursue that avenue a bit further.

Last edited:

~cw

Prominent
Mar 31, 2022
There's a possibility that your cables have worn or degraded, either internally or at the connectors, resulting in enough signal attenuation to fail to support 4K60. Your TV's ports may also be showing signs of wear through use too, though that's sometimes harder to pin down.

Are you using quality cables specifically rated and certified for HDMI 2.0 and DP 1.2? I found recently with a Samsung 4K TV (which I know can do 4K60, and used at that resolution regularly) with a GTX1070 in a previously mothballed machine, that while GPU and TV could handshake ok (so I could see 4K 60 Hz in the Windows settings), the video data bit stream wasn't making it to the TV sufficiently well for it to actually display any picture. This was the case until I swapped out all of my previously used HDMI cables (a variety of generic or OEM cables) for a newer, better made cable. I took a punt with an AmazonBasics Premium Certified HDMI 2.0 cable (B08224HT83), largely on the strengths of the positive customer reviews, and it worked immediately and perfectly first time.

The issue of ageing or well-used cables suddenly having issues apparently at random is something I've seen in my professional life too, affecting HDMI, DisplayPort and SDI - pretty much any digital format where your signal clock is high and signal quality becomes important. There's also various 4K 120Hz or 8K 60 Hz Certified HDMI cables from third party manufacturers, important at those resolutions and refresh rates to ensure the HDMI cable is formally Certified for those resolutions.

TRENDING THREADS