[Solved] USB 1.0 compatibility

WillyWilly

Honorable
Feb 12, 2013
I have a Win XP desktop PC and want to attach a USB 3.0 Seagate external HDD for backup. I understand that the HDD's 3.0 designation s/b compatible with an earlier USB capability on my PC, correct?

How do I find out what USB level my PC has? I've tried unsuccessfully to find out.

Thanks, Willy

I have a Win XP desktop PC and want to attach a USB 3.0 Seagate external HDD for backup. I understand that the HDD's 3.0 designation s/b compatible with an earlier USB capability on my PC, correct?

Yes

How do I find out what USB level my PC has? I've tried unsuccessfully to find out.

Windows will tell you if a device can work faster with a faster port, so if you plug a USB 2.0 device in a USB 1.0 port, Windows will tell you that this device can work faster if you plug it in a USB 2.0 port.

USB 3 devices have a extra set of contacts in both the plug and socket so it is easy to see if the device is USB 3 compatible.

WillyWilly

Honorable
Feb 12, 2013
OK, thanks!

I thought I would need to know before buying a USB 3.0 device because I don't want to spend money on something I might not be able to return.

Is there any way to get the PC to tell me specifically if I have USB 1, 2, or 3 ports? I was hoping to see an actual number, but can I at least look for the word "standard" or the word "enhanced" in Device Manager or somewhere?

WW