[SOLVED] (SOLVED)Used/Refurbished Cards: Worth It?

michael diemer

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2013
I have an old desktop, with a 300W PSU. My old graphics card died (8400GS), and I am forced to use only very light Linux systems. It is 64 bit and I have 6GB RAM installed. CPU is Athlon 64 X2 6000+. I have done some calculating, and I think I might get away with running a GT 630 card. But I don't want to spend much, as the computer is from 2009 and could die any time. I see used and refurbished cards for sale. For example, PC Liquidators had the GT 630 for$ 27.00. Should I try it, or is just not worth it?

Solution
Amazon is generally not the best place to buy used products. Prices tend to be much lower elsewhere.

I have bought several used GPUs from eBay. Vast majority of cards work properly, but occasionally you get a dud. For example, a seller had a listing for Sapphire Nitro RX470s with many available for a very good price each. I purchased one and it arrived in great physical condition. It even came with the original packaging, which shocked me. I tested the GPU and at first, it all checked out. I put it into my system and it was recognized properly. I opened a game and it seemed to run as expected. HOWEVER, about 30 minutes into playing the game the screen went black and the card would never display anything again. Messaged the seller and...
It's pretty much impossible to tell the quality of a used item like this.
Although I purchase lots of electronic items from EBay that are used......and many times have been pleasantly surprised at the quality and condition.
I would say.....for $27......you don't have much to loose and I'd go for it if that's what I wanted.

oldcracc

Reputable
Apr 10, 2019
I have an old desktop, with a 300W PSU. My old graphics card died (8400GS), and I am forced to use only very light Linux systems. It is 64 bit and I have 6GB RAM installed. CPU is Athlon 64 X2 6000+. I have done some calculating, and I think I might get away with running a GT 630 card. But I don't want to spend much, as the computer is from 2009 and could die any time. I see used and refurbished cards for sale. For example, PC Liquidators had the GT 630 for$ 27.00. Should I try it, or is just not worth it?
I wouldn't worry about buying used cards, just don't mine on them and you'll be fine because you don't know if they've been used for mining. That's generally good to keep in mind for any used card you buy. Bonus points if there's a warranty, but don't expect one on used cards, but maybe refurbished if you buy from a reputable retailer such as Amazon, who refurbishes their returned used electronics.

Anyways, $27 is fine to spend on a GT 630, even if it breaks w/o warranty you aren't out a lot of money, it seems like a great deal to me.

I buy from ebay and have had no major issues. I've bought 5-6 cards that way used. Even if the seller doesn't offer returns, you should still have ebay buyer protection, so if you get a card that has issues, I think you have so many days to file a claim and can say items weren't as described.

My work once even bought an old Oracle Server, I've purchased cpu's this way as well. In fact, may look at a Ryzen 3700x. Was perusing on there the other day and those were going for 230-240. I've got a 3600, but hey an upgrade for almost free, since the 3600 was going sometimes for 190 used.

Amazon is generally not the best place to buy used products. Prices tend to be much lower elsewhere.

I have bought several used GPUs from eBay. Vast majority of cards work properly, but occasionally you get a dud. For example, a seller had a listing for Sapphire Nitro RX470s with many available for a very good price each. I purchased one and it arrived in great physical condition. It even came with the original packaging, which shocked me. I tested the GPU and at first, it all checked out. I put it into my system and it was recognized properly. I opened a game and it seemed to run as expected. HOWEVER, about 30 minutes into playing the game the screen went black and the card would never display anything again. Messaged the seller and returned the card. Relatively hassle free.

eBay's buyer protection is very buyer biased and should help solve any situation if you do get a card that proves to be faulty within the 30 day window. Often times larger sellers will automatically allow you to return the faulty item without ever having to file a claim.

Solution
Yeah If I buy one I try to test it pretty good. When selling, I try to give my history with the card but make sure to say it’s as is, though someone could still file a claim.

When I sell one I always put insurance and signature required on it so that way I know someone had to sign for it so that someone didn’t pick it up off a porch.

michael diemer

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2013
I went ahead and purchased the GT 630 from E bay. I am having trouble getting it to work. I thought you could use a DDR3 card on a DDR2 motherboard. When I boot, nothing happens on the monitor, but the computer beeps once, indicating a problem.

It could just be I need to install drivers first, but I should probably resolve the DDR issue first.

michael diemer

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2013
I think the card is either defective, or just won't work on this system. I am not even getting the Gateway boot screen. The monitor remains black.

I may try it on a newer computer as a test. That would either confirm it is bad, or if OK I'll know it won't work on my system.

michael diemer

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2013
Decided it's just not going to work, I sent it back to Ebay. At least it didn't cost me anything to try, the return shipping was free.

I'm going with my better judgment and keeping this old rig as is. I have two Linux systems that run well on it. I'm leaving well enough alone.

TRENDING THREADS