[SOLVED] [Solved] - User Error- Tried to fix wifes computer, now nothing works!

Apr 4, 2020
Solution - As @SkyNetRising pointed out in #6, I was plugging the power button into a similar looking but altogether wrong port.

TL:DR - Tried to fix a computer that was running poorly. Tried to change from SATA Hard Drive to SSD and change the case. Then tried to change MOBO, then tried a new PSU, then tried a new Processor. Now nothing will turn on.

PCPartPicker Part List

Type|Item|Price
:----|:----|:----
CPU | AMD Ryzen 5 2600X 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor | $169.99 @ Amazon
CPU Cooler | AMD Wraith Max 55.78 CFM CPU Cooler | $35.99 @ Amazon
Motherboard | ASRock B450M PRO4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard | $79.97 @ Amazon
Memory | Kingston HyperX Fury Black 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-2133 Memory |-
Storage | Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive | $44.99 @ Adorama
Video Card | MSI GeForce GTX 1650 4 GB GAMING X Video Card | $159.99 @ B&H
Case | Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L MicroATX Mini Tower Case | $44.99 @ Best Buy
Power Supply | EVGA BR 600 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply | $50.98 @ Newegg
| Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts |
| Total (before mail-in rebates) | $596.90
| Mail-in rebates | -$10.00
| Total | $586.90
| Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-04 14:33 EDT-0400 |

View: https://imgur.com/a/UifBi1k
Imgur Album of Pics.

Video card is not pictured but was brand new in mid-January and still working when all of this started.

-The full story-

My wife's computer had been slowly losing performance until the point that it was 30 seconds to just load Chrome. It was (admittedly) a cheap Frankenstein machine of replaced parts from my other computer projects. I assumed the old hard drive was going bad so I bought a 500gb SSD to replace it, and since the case is old and beat I bought a new case for her as well. I had forgotten that the HD is only 3 years old and therein lies my first mistake. I no longer think it needed to be replaced.

I switched out the HD and the case and nothing would power on. I went through some troubleshooting and decided that the motherboard was old and since I hadn't been the MOST careful with it I assumed it finally gave up the ghost. I replaced it. After that didn't work, I replaced the PSU (original was only 400W) to make sure it was getting enough power. When THAT didn't work I figured the only thing left to replace was the processor, so I replaced it. Now the only thing left of the original build is the RAM. There are 2 Kingston 8gb sticks. I tried both of them individually in the A2 slot of the new motherboard. Nothing.

Here's the kicker. I put the original build back together and that wont power up now either. I've tried many different configurations of the new and old pieces and cases and I can't get power to run through any of these. No response.

I figure that at this point it has to be something I'm overlooking. It's been a few days and I'm more than frustrated.

Today I woke up and decided to go take everything apart and build a computer out of all the new stuff again. I paid attention to every screw and detail as far as I know. Here's the list of things I made sure to check before writing this.

There are metal risers separating the MoBo from the case. These are fitted with rubber gaskets as well.

1 RAM stick is seated properly and "clicked in" to the A2 spot as per MoBo documentation.

Power Supply was jumped with a paperclip. Fan turns so I assume it works.

24 Pin connector is seated properly and "Clicked In"

8 pin CPU connector is seated properly and "Clicked In"

Processor is seated properly, and the cooling fan is plugged in.

Powering up was tried without video card and with, without case fan connected and with.

PSU power switch is in the correct position and the power supply is plugged into a tested and working 20Amp outlet.

View: https://imgur.com/a/UifBi1k
<--Same album as above.

I'll add pictures and/or descriptions of old pieces if requested but I figure this is long enough already.

All I want to do is settle into quarantine and play World of Warcraft with my wife so I’m very open to any suggestion and this is my only goal today. I’m certain this is my fault and not the equipment.

Please and thank you.

EDIT: Spelling

Edit 2: Solution

Last edited:
Solution
This is the first time I've "breadboarded" a motherboard. I've followed your directions a close as I could. I get no fan/light/reaction from connecting the 24 PIN and shorting the MoBo. Does this mean the MoBo is DOA?
It looks like you better take it to a service center or something.
Ton of mistakes there.

1. CPU must be installed;
  2. CPU cooler must be installed;
  3. CPU cooler has to be connected to CPU_Fan connector (not system fan connector);
  4. Memory must be installed;
  5. CPU power (8pin) has to be connected;
  6. You're shorting out COM port (instead of PWR_ON pins on FP connector);
  7. Graphics card has to be installed and connected with PCIE power cable/cables (video outputs on motherboard will not work, because your...
Apr 4, 2020
hot/ground doesnt matter, button just connects them toggether

so whats happenning with your pc?
you press power button and?
fans spinning, leds light up, or nothing at all?

I get absolutely nothing. I havent heard so much as a post beep, and the fans don't even try to spin. It sounds very much like a power issue. I've jumped both power supplies (400w and 600w) that I have available and they are still working.

The new motherboard doesnt light up when I connect power. I'm not sure if it has any indicator LEDs and I cant find mention in the booklet. The old MoBo has an LED that lights up when power is connected, but still wont start at all. Same issue.

most mainboard should have power led indicating there is power going on...its not mandatory
nvm if its not there

so power button connected and no fan spins
that sounds like power issue

so breadbording time

turn off PSU, few power button presset just to remove leftover juice from psu, then tear your pc apart :p

put your mainboard on cardboard, remove everything which still got connected to it, even ram and CPU
keep connected only PSU 24pin connector and 1 fan (any)

once done, turn PSU on with switch (make sure its also plugged to a working wall outlet)

now connect (short) power pin (PWRBTN) with screwdriver to any ground pin around it (theres like 2 ground pins, pick one u like)

if the fan spins, turn PSU off
and connect 4+4 (8pin) EPS connector
turn psu on, power on, see if fan spins
if all ok, turn it off, add cpu with heatsink
turn it on, if all ok, add ram, if still ok and fan spins, keep adding, until it stops

Apr 4, 2020
most mainboard should have power led indicating there is power going on...its not mandatory
nvm if its not there

so power button connected and no fan spins
that sounds like power issue

so breadbording time

turn off PSU, few power button presset just to remove leftover juice from psu, then tear your pc apart :p

put your mainboard on cardboard, remove everything which still got connected to it, even ram and CPU
keep connected only PSU 24pin connector and 1 fan (any)

once done, turn PSU on with switch (make sure its also plugged to a working wall outlet)

now connect (short) power pin (PWRBTN) with screwdriver to any ground pin around it (theres like 2 ground pins, pick one u like)

if the fan spins, turn PSU off
and connect 4+4 (8pin) EPS connector
turn psu on, power on, see if fan spins
if all ok, turn it off, add cpu with heatsink
turn it on, if all ok, add ram, if still ok and fan spins, keep adding, until it stops

This is the first time I've "breadboarded" a motherboard. I've followed your directions a close as I could. I get no fan/light/reaction from connecting the 24 PIN and shorting the MoBo. Does this mean the MoBo is DOA?

I've included a couple of pics of the process to make sure I have done it correctly. Here: View: https://imgur.com/a/TPFR3Vo

Ton of mistakes there.

3. CPU cooler has to be connected to CPU_Fan connector (not system fan connector);
  7. Graphics card has to be installed and connected with PCIE power cable/cables (video outputs on motherboard will not work, because your cpu doesn't have integrated graphics).

Solution
Apr 4, 2020
Ton of mistakes there.

7. Graphics card has to be installed and connected with PCIE power cable/cables (video outputs on motherboard will not work, because your cpu doesn't have integrated graphics).

I'm confused about 1-5 and 7 here, as they are directly opposed to what was suggested to me above (quoted).

About number 6, that is where my adventure will begin anew. Like I said in my post, I knew it would be something silly like that.

Thank you so much for your input. If this is the only problem and the system works, then I'll come back and mark this solved!

there should be still atleast
I'm confused about 1-5 and 7 here, as they are directly opposed to what was suggested to me above (quoted).

About number 6, that is where my adventure will begin anew. Like I said in my post, I knew it would be something silly like that.

Thank you so much for your input. If this is the only problem and the system works, then I'll come back and mark this solved!
1-5 and 7 is meant for working computer
since u were getting no power, simple fan is needed to see if it starts spinning