[SOLVED] SOLVED - Video card failure ? help

Nov 22, 2019
SOLVED - thanks for all the replies. I reclipped the graphics card into the mobo and it worked. I think it must have been a lose connection. Booted RDR2 and its working great now. Thanks again community :)

Hello,
I need some help.
My computer was fine yesterday, was playing games well and I shut it down properly.
I turn it on today and there was no video output and I hear internal fans going crazy. I open it up and the fans on the graphics card is the one at full speed and I can get video output from the onboard graphics.
The graphics card is a nvidia 2070SUPER and its less than a month old.
I've tried unplugging the graphics card completely from the computer and putting it back in with no change, the video card fans are still going crazy.
I dont have any other graphics cards to test it out with.
Are there any tools out there which dignose a broken graphics card when its plugged in or any ideas on what I can do ?
Many thanks.
p.s. my graphics card failed last month. I wonder if there is something in my computer which is braking the graphics cards ?

Last edited:
Solution
Hello,
I need some help.
My computer was fine yesterday, was playing games well and I shut it down properly.
I turn it on today and there was no video output and I hear internal fans going crazy. I open it up and the fans on the graphics card is the one at full speed and I can get video output from the onboard graphics.
I've tried unplugging the graphics card completely from the computer and putting it back in with no change, the video card fans are still going crazy.
Are there any tools out there which dignose a broken graphics card when its plugged in or any ideas on what I can do ?
Many thanks.
p.s. my...
Nov 22, 2019
List your full PC specs, including your PSU. Sounds like your PSU may not be providing enough power to the new GPU.

Check the card is installed correctly, and that the power cables are correctly inserted on the card.

Windows 10
CPU - Intel i7 6700k
Graphics - 2070 SUPER
PSU - SilverStone SST-SX600
Mobo - Asus Z170I Pro Gaming Intel Z170

PSU is 600w. I understood you only need 550w for the 2070 SUPER? Its also been fine playing games for the last month or so. I literally jsut started Red Dead Redemption 2 yesterday and played for a solid 4 hours.

Dec 11, 2019
Hello,
I need some help.
Many thanks.
p.s. my graphics card failed last month. I wonder if there is something in my computer which is braking the graphics cards ?
I have to agree with Keith above. Often crashes are when the gpu spikes and requires more power from the limited PSU. A bad PSU can destroy GPUs and motherboards alike. Everyone has their own opinion, but I tend to have at least 100w above the maximum power draw and as a rule of thumb a bronze rated PSU is the very minimum you should get, unless you don't care much about your components.

Also with the description, there is a slight chance it could be badly applied thermal paste but if it has lasted a month so far it is most likely your PSU. Do you have a warranty with the GPU?

Good luck. 👍👍

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
Solution
The PSU isn't a bad one, but has it's own minor issues. How old is it? If about 4 years old, it;s possible it's failing. If you could get a lend of another one to test that might be a simple solution.

As @Steve323f has mentioned, there is a possibility it could be the paste, or as suggested the seating of the GPU/Power cables. Check those things first before slinging a few quid on a new PSU.

Reactions: Steve323f
I have to agree with Keith above. Often crashes are when the gpu spikes and requires more power from the limited PSU. A bad PSU can destroy GPUs and motherboards alike. Everyone has their own opinion, but I tend to have at least 100w above the maximum power draw and as a rule of thumb a bronze rated PSU is the very minimum you should get, unless you don't care much about your components.

Also with the description, there is a slight chance it could be badly applied thermal paste but if it has lasted a month so far it is most likely your PSU. Do you have a warranty with the GPU?

Good luck. 👍👍

Totally agree on the overage for watts. Always like to have a bit of headroom. In case you want to OC some components.

Reactions: Steve323f
Dec 11, 2019
The thing with PSUs that a lot of people don't understand is that the watts aren't everything. Some scary Chinese knock offs say 650w and don't even meet 80 plus standards, thus they draw 650w from the wall but might only provide as low as 500w with the remaining 150w getting wasted as heat. As we all know heat is bad. Mmmmkay.

I'm not trying to scaremonger as your PSU from what I see is gold rated, I just thought I'd share. As Keith said, start off with the free options first and beware you do not void any warranty stickers on the card. But in all honesty if you have a guarantee or warranty with the GPU, it might be worth considering that also. Keep us posted with the results. 👍