Question [SOLVED]Which should I choose b450 or x570?

Jan 6, 2020
Planning on updating my system to a and r5 3600. Need at least 5 functioning sata ports and would like to use a m.2 nvme for os. Looking at asus the choice is between:
Asus rog strix b450-f (will save me close to 350$ compared to x570)
Asus tuf x570 gaming

when looking at the manual for the b450 it says running the #2 m.2 slot will cause reduction on PCI e speed but nothing on sata reductions when using slot #1. If I can use this MB with a M.2 ssd and all 6 sata ports and still have full PCI e I would be happy.
If not, the x570 comes to play. But will this be affected in any way(any reductions on sata/PCI) by using a m2?

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
*3 When the M.2_1 Socket 3 is operating in SATA or PCIE mode, SATA6G_5/6 ports will be disabled.

*4 When the M.2_2 is occupied by M.2 device, PCIe x16_1 will run at x8 mode.

So, if you use M.2_1, you lose SATA 5 & 6 (leaves 4 functional SATA ports)
OR
Use M.2_2 and your PCIe bandwidth is halved.

If I can use this MB with a M.2 ssd and all 6 sata ports and still have full PCI e I would be happy.

Cannot be done, as far as I can tell.

Reactions: Conkey

Lutfij

Titan
This pops out,
*3 When the M.2_1 Socket 3 is operating in SATA or PCIE mode, SATA6G_5/6 ports will be disabled.
found here:
https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/ROG-STRIX-B450-F-GAMING/specifications/
^ Scroll to the bottom, or look at the specifications on the manual.

Which means you'll loose SATA ports 5 and 6 when you have an M.2 SSD populating slot M.2_1

You should pick the X570 chipset board in your shortlist.

Reactions: Conkey
Jan 6, 2020
Is X470 not an option? Or maybe even a B450 + a SATA add-in card, if stepping up to X570 would cost you that much extra. You can get a 2 port SATA PCIe card for like $20.
This will not affect the pcIe speeds in any negative way?
In my part of the world an OK sata PCIe card probably runs a bit higher, and suddenly the lower price difference makes x570 hard not to choose. I’m completely noob so it has to be bullet proof plug’n play. Any recomandations on a good sata pcie card?

Jan 6, 2020
Thank you so much for this.
Just 1 last question before I decide; will there be no negative effect of a nvme m2 on a x570 based MB (spesifically the tuf x570 gaming)? sorry for all the noob questions