[Solved] Windows 7 black screen with cursor after POST

voodoowop

Honorable
Jan 6, 2013
Hello, I have been googling for this problem for a while and really can't find a solution. So Id really apreciate if some of you could throw some ideas, here is the situation:
The machine is my mom's it is an Acer notebook, Athlon II x2, 3gb RAM, 320gb HDD, Onboard ati HD4200.
The notebook has 3 years or so and was running windows 7 x64 since day 1, it started to act weird and one day it just stop booting windows.
The problem is that I can't re/install Windows 7 x64, after POST it loads the files, loads the windows logo and when it is supossod to load the background and the installation window it doesn't, I am left stuck with a black background and only able to move the mouse (ctrl+alt+supr does nothing and haven't tried any other shortcut).
I tried installing from a DVD and from a bootable USB win7, and had the same result, I did try the USB in my notebook and it boots just fine, past the black background and all.
Being unable to reinstall windows, I installed Ubuntu 12.10amd64 and as far as installation, compatibilty etc.. I had no problems but even with ubuntu working the same thing happens every time I try to install windows 7 even after moving the pictures/desktop and deleting everything else (windows/programfiles).
It passed the memtest86 that comes with ubuntun, no errors.
I also tried setting the BIOS to default changing boot sequences and activating and desactivating things that might be related but so far nothing worked.

Boot using the windows disk...
DON'T install yet..
Now do a repair and pull up the command prompt and run CHKDSK C: /R
If you can't seem to do it/figure out what I mean, Google it for more step by step instructions.

Once that is done do a full installation of windows.
That will likely fix your issue.

voodoowop

Honorable
Jan 6, 2013
Well figured it out, it turns out I didnt touch everything relevant in the BIOS the problem was that sata mode was set to AHCI, changed it to IDE and it started to work.
Thanks for the replies though :) , I couldnt repair because I didnt have any windows, only some folder backups and the rest was deleted from ubuntu, it DID allow me to get the advanced boot options by pressing F8 but every option had the same problem black screen moving cursor and nothing else.

rocky12

Honorable
Aug 16, 2012

i recommend you this tutorial
http://www.geekworldnews.org/windows-7-black-screen.html

JackLupino

Commendable
Oct 19, 2016

Just registered here so i could reply here.

I had the exact same problem, i still have no idea where it came from, but once i changed my SATA BIOS setting from AHCI to Compatibility (couldn't choose IDE), it suddenly started working again!

Running CHKDSK now before reinstalling windows. This is gonna take a while but god damn am i happy. I thought i might have to throw the thing out :( Thanks everyone