Question Some Advanced Questions about Storage (Particularly SSD)

IDProG

Distinguished
You don't have to answer all of them at once. You can answer just the questions that you know the answer of.

1. What is I/O throughput? What is it for?
  2. What is IOPS?
  3. What are the differences between sequential read/write, IOPS, and I/O throughput?
  4. What are the differences between raw and compressed I/O throughput? Why are they different?
  5. What are both raw and compressed I/O throughput of PCIe 3.0 SSDs? (If you want to answer this question, please don't answer "depends". Use one SSD as an example and type the I/O throughput of said SSD)
  6. How do we calculate I/O throughput of SSDs?
  7. Can an I/O throughput surpass PCIe's bandwidth limit, and will it get bottlenecked if it's so?

If you're wondering, no, this is not a college assignment or things like that. This is purely questions from a fellow enthusiast.

Thank you in advance.

As opposed to someone typing a multipage dissertation to answer each of your questions (which very much do sound like research assignments, your assurances otherwise notwithstanding), I'd be shocked if all these topics are not easily searchable on Google, perhaps exactly as you typed them, and, each with 30+ results....

Alternatively, if a fan of the visual arts with audio, you can search for each of the topics on Youtube...

Here, I've done the first YT search for you: "Hdd vs. SATA vs. NVME IOPS"
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=HDD+vs.+SATA+vs.+NVME+IOPS

IDProG

Distinguished
As opposed to someone typing a multipage dissertation to answer each of your questions (which very much do sound like research assignments, your assurances otherwise notwithstanding), I'd be shocked if all these topics are not easily searchable on Google, perhaps exactly as you typed them, and, each with 30+ results....

Alternatively, if a fan of the visual arts with audio, you can search for each of the topics on Youtube...

Here, I've done the first YT search for you: "Hdd vs. SATA vs. NVME IOPS"
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=HDD+vs.+SATA+vs.+NVME+IOPS
You seem to not believe about what I said. So here, let me tell you why I asked these questions.

I want to learn deeper about how storage works.

I want to speculate about how storages on next-gen consoles work, because some say that those are not just regular SSDs. Some even say that even the "slow" 2.4GB/s SSD on the Xbox Series X would load games faster than standard PCIe 3.0 SSDs with 3.5GB/s of sequential read and high IOPS.

I also find it weird that PS5's SSD has 8-9 GB/s of compressed I/O throughput, since the limit of PCIe 4.0 x4 bandwidth is around 7-7.5 GB/s. There are two possibilities THAT I KNOW that this can happen, and both mean that PS5's SSD is actually pretty slow for the level.
One, it uses x8 instead of x4.
Two, it uses PCIe 5.0, but this one is impossible, because last time I checked, Zen 2 does not support PCIe 5.0.

That's why I want to know how to calculate I/O throughput, both raw and compressed, so that I can measure the speed of mainstream PCIe 3.0 SSDs and see how they hold up against those consoles', since according to those aforementioned people, console SSDs are not regular SSDs and thus, sequential read/write speed comparison isn't enough to determine which is the superior.