Some advice for a newbie?

Apr 5, 2018
Hey guys. So this will be my first time that I'm overclocking and the first time I've purchase an overclockable cpu. This is my current setup:

cpu: i7 8700k

cooling: Phanteks PH-TC12DX 120mm PWM

mobo: Asus Prime Z370-A

I don't wish to OC much at all. All I want to do is run all cores at 4.7ghz. Will it suffice to just sync all cores to 47 without altering voltages and any other settings (keeping them on auto)? Also, is my cooling sufficient to run a chip at 4.7ghz on all cores, indefinitely? Any advice would be much appreciated.

introaether

Commendable
Mar 11, 2018
I'm no expert, but hopefully I'm past the newbie stage. So I can offer you this.

Firstly. Understand that to achieve an overclock you are going to need some software, tools that help decide things such as; "Is my cooling good enough?"!

I'd start off by downloading and installing HWMonitor. We use this to monitor temps. There are two temps here you'll need to look out for

1) CPU Temp - This is the socket temperature.
2) Package Temp - This is the core temp.

Next you'll need software to stress the CPU. I'd suggest downlaoding and installing Prime 95. Although, there are other (some might argue, better) options available. We stress the CPU by maximising its workload and by doing so, we check its stability and we can also check its temperature under load.

Next up, download and install CPU-Z. We can monitor lots of info here too and cross reference it with what HWMonitor is saying.

Now, before you dive in and start overclocking. Its a good idea to run some test with what you currently have.

Do a blend test on P95 and monitor your temps. These should settle after 15 mins or so. Also, take a note of the current Core frequency and voltage. These are the stock settings and are a good place to start the OC from.

I'd also downlaod and install Cinebench. We can use this to benchmark the CPU and see what effect our OC is having on performance.

Stress then bench your current set up. note all the good stuff.

Now, when attempting to create your frst OC its important to understand one important priciple.

You should get comfortable with your BIOS - watch some videos and get familiar with the concepts befor you dive in -

Dont make massive changes and only change one thing at a time. This way, you know exactly what thing caused your system to fail should it crash or show unstability during the tests.

The general idea is.

1) Manipulate the BIOS to attain a higher frequency. Note down the settings (if you have profiles in BIOS, you can use those)
2) Boot into window with new settings and stress test. Being sure to monitor temperatures.
3a) If test is a sucess, reboot into Bios and create new profile with a slightly higher core, repeat step 2 etc.

Eventually...

3b) Should the test fail, you have unstability. There are two things you can do. You can lower the OC and call it a day. Or, if you have headroom with your temperatures under load (if things could be hotter without passing the safety threshold), you can incrase voltage.

You can then reboot and stress again, being sure to check those temps under load.

Increasing voltage can senf the temps sky high in no time. Dont be scared by that. Just be aware of it and be mindful to concentrate when stressing the cpu to monitor. If things get too hot, abort the test etc.

Repeating these steps (and it can take a while if you are thorough) will eventually lead you to the point where you have an unstable OC and you can no longer increase the voltage any further because temps are too high.

At this point you can either address your cooling (whole different topic, but important too) or back the OC off and settle.

You need to research the max temps fpr your CPU and stuff yourself. I only have experienxce with AMD. Google your CPU's maxmum sockect temp, as well as its maximum core temp.

Also google your CPU's maximum safe voltage and be mindful.

Thats all I can offer for now. Good luck.

TRENDING THREADS