Some AMD 970 chipset motherboards may need a BIOS update prior to using Vishera CPUs.

Drain_Cleaner

Prominent
Feb 18, 2017
Hello guys I need your help. While adding parts to my future PC build (added cpu), I notice some compatibility problems. It said that "Some AMD 970 chipset motherboards may need a BIOS update prior to using Vishera CPUs." My motherboard is an MSI SLI Krait Edition I just bought yesterday. Here is a link to my build https://pcpartpicker.com/list/cNqk7h . Will I run into any problems?

Solution
It will work, that warning is mostly a hold over from much earlier days when some boards didn't come with the proper BIOS for the Piledriver chips. You're not likely to encounter that problem unless you get a board that has been sitting on a shelf for almost five years now.

Having said all of that, it really isn't a good idea to buy into AM3+ or get a Piledriver FX CPU at this point. They are obsolete, and will often be outperformed in most applications by similarly priced Intel CPUs that are on motherboards with more modern I/O and better upgrade paths. Outside of certain specific niche use cases eg. building a video editing rig or virtualization server for as cheap as possible without buying used hardware, there is little reason to...
I haven't seen many users (of PCPP, thought it would be inferred, guess not) complaining of the inability to use a vishera CPU.

Please tell me that's not a new build. You're getting crappy value per dollar if you're paying that price.

Drain_Cleaner

Prominent
Feb 18, 2017

Um, i'm not complaining, and you don't have to be so rude. I'm just asking for help.

Well, it's factual. You're investing in a 4 year old platform that, back when it was new, was "okay" ish. Money is much better spent on soon-to-be stocked AMD Zen processors or Intel kaby/skylake. Not only will they perform better at the price point, they allow better upgrade pathing.

Do what you want. I'm not following this thread anymore.

It will work, that warning is mostly a hold over from much earlier days when some boards didn't come with the proper BIOS for the Piledriver chips. You're not likely to encounter that problem unless you get a board that has been sitting on a shelf for almost five years now.

Having said all of that, it really isn't a good idea to buy into AM3+ or get a Piledriver FX CPU at this point. They are obsolete, and will often be outperformed in most applications by similarly priced Intel CPUs that are on motherboards with more modern I/O and better upgrade paths. Outside of certain specific niche use cases eg. building a video editing rig or virtualization server for as cheap as possible without buying used hardware, there is little reason to even consider an AM3+ based build.

Solution

Drain_Cleaner

Prominent
Feb 18, 2017

Thx man finally found the answer.