[SOLVED] some case fans not being controlled by msi afterburner

naldor123

Prominent
Jul 19, 2019
[watch your language]
earlier today i was using my pc, the case fans were quiet and controlled by msi afterburner, i tried out oc setting in the msi gaming app and it messed up my pc in an constant reboot where it tried to repair too but failed to do it. after that i had to flash the bios with flashback+ and the i got into windows. after that the case fans are controlled by msi afterburner to a degree since i can hear that the fans spin louder when i set the speed to 100. i can no longer control the fan speed manually an the bios and the lowest rpm is around 800. i have costume fan settings in afterburner that it should follow and smart fan control in bios dont work since the fans don't make less sound even though i use the settings i used before my pc got messed up.

Last edited:
Solution
Look at the wires from each of your four fans. I am pretty sure each has THREE wires from it (Red, Black and Yellow), and they end in a connector with THREE holes. Right? Those are called 3-pin fans. To control their speeds your mobo header they are plugged into MUST be configured to use the older Voltage Control Mode (aka DC Mode) and NOT the newer PWM Mode. On p.33 of your manual it says you can make this setting for EACH of the headers you are using by accessing the correct BIOS Setup screens. See p. 37. It says when you start up the system, press the "Del" key. I am in the habit of not merely pressing that key; I hold it down until the BIOS Setup opening screen (p.40) appears. Click on the Advanced icon at top. See p. 47 and choose...

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
If you can, post back here the exact model number of your mobo, PLUS the makers and models numbers of your case fans. I suspect a mis-match of 3-pin fans with 4-pin headers. IF that is the case, many mobos allow you to configure case fan headers to work with 3-pin fans. But the fact that you update the BIOS means that any prior special configuration settings have been replaced by new defaults. So maybe we can find the way to make those adjustments.

Some MSI motherboards allow you to specify the speed control type for individual fan headers (PWM or VRM).

If you were relying on such settings for your fan headers, those were lost when you re-flashed the BIOS. Best to go back and verify that the fan speed control settings for each fan header matches the type of fan installed.

naldor123

Prominent
Jul 19, 2019
If you can, post back here the exact model number of your mobo, PLUS the makers and models numbers of your case fans. I suspect a mis-match of 3-pin fans with 4-pin headers. IF that is the case, many mobos allow you to configure case fan headers to work with 3-pin fans. But the fact that you update the BIOS means that any prior special configuration settings have been replaced by new defaults. So maybe we can find the way to make those adjustments.
all the fans worked fine before i flashed the bios.
my mobo is msi 450 gaming plus and i use 2
Corsair Air Series AF120 LED Quiet Edition High Airflow Fan
and 2 brushless fans from
Carbide Series SPEC-03 CC-9011053-WW White LED Mid-Tower Gaming Case

as i mentioned the fans worked fine but now i cant change their speed in the bios, only change pwm to dc

naldor123

Prominent
Jul 19, 2019
Some MSI motherboards allow you to specify the speed control type for individual fan headers (PWM or VRM).

If you were relying on such settings for your fan headers, those were lost when you re-flashed the BIOS. Best to go back and verify that the fan speed control settings for each fan header matches the type of fan installed.
if i use pwm then the fans just run at what i believe is around full speed so i had to switch to dc. even when i try to lower the percentage of the rpm nothing happens, even though i used smart fan control enabled. and it seems like msi afterburner can't control the fans properly too since some of the fans run at 1000rpm and some run at 800

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Look at the wires from each of your four fans. I am pretty sure each has THREE wires from it (Red, Black and Yellow), and they end in a connector with THREE holes. Right? Those are called 3-pin fans. To control their speeds your mobo header they are plugged into MUST be configured to use the older Voltage Control Mode (aka DC Mode) and NOT the newer PWM Mode. On p.33 of your manual it says you can make this setting for EACH of the headers you are using by accessing the correct BIOS Setup screens. See p. 37. It says when you start up the system, press the "Del" key. I am in the habit of not merely pressing that key; I hold it down until the BIOS Setup opening screen (p.40) appears. Click on the Advanced icon at top. See p. 47 and choose the Hardware Monitor. The manual does not show details for that. But for EACH SYS_FAN header that you are using for your case fans, ensure that the header is set to use DC Mode. Use the Esc key to back up one level and access the next header until you get them all set. Then use Esc to get back to the main screen and click on Save and Exit at top right. See p. 56 and choose the second item, "Save Changes and Reboot." This will save your changes and reboot.

Just as your system reboots, observe the fans carefully and quickly. The normal sequence is that all fans will start up at full speed, but in a few seconds as the system gets info gathered it finds that the temperatures are low ans slows down all those fans. So if that's what you see - instant full speed, then slow down - you mobo headers ARE controlling your fan speeds.

Solution