Some Computers Can't Access Some Websites

Cactus923

Commendable
Jan 24, 2017
I am at my wits end here.

I have a network of computers set up at my office. There are about a dozen computers being run altogether. The main ones being used on our floor are all newer Asus all in one models, and they run perfectly fine. There are a couple in the back that are quite old XP machines and they are running fine. But there are two Acer mini desktops with Windows 7 in the shop that are both having the exact same issue. It just started about a week ago and came completely out of nowhere.

These two computers can both send and receive email completely fine. They both list that their network connection is connected to the internet and both sending and receiving packets constantly. However, when I go to any browser, whether it's IE or Chrome or Firefox, and try and load SOME websites, those websites won't load. I can google things, I can go to Facebook, it's just some websites that completely refuse to load.

When I run the internet troubleshooter, it says that "Your Computer is correctly configured but the device or resource (DNS server) is not responding." Sometimes. Sometimes it shows that there are no issues and asks me what specific issue I'm having.

I'll explain our setup a bit. There is the main router/modem from our ISP, with the routing capabilities turned off so it's basically a modem. That runs to a 24 port wired linksys router, which then runs into the multiple computers plus one more switch that gets wired throughout the building. Both computers having the issue run through this last switch, but all the working computers also run through this switch.

I have a few devices set up with static IP's, but the rest are dynamic. In the Linksys router I've set the DNS to Google's because I found that it's actually faster than the default.

I've followed every Microsoft resource and every other resource I could find for troubleshooting. I've flushed the DNS, done the winsock and reset int or whatever. I've done it all. I've tried both static and dynamic IP's. I've tried starting in safe mode. I've both rebooted and factory reset the router and rebooted all the switches.

I just don't know what to do anymore. If it was just one computer then I would reinstall the OS. But all of our computers have the same antivirus, same network settings, same switch. These two computers have vastly different programs on them because they are used for vastly different things, so it isn't some rogue program.

Please help.

Quick Edit: I checked as well and the IP addresses are different on both machines so it isn't a conflict.

Adamm07x

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2010
Can you ping the websites that you can't access?
I would also check your hosts file, as host file can override dns and other settings to make specific sites unreachable.
hosts file is located in C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\

When they fail to connect, can you ping your DNS server? Do an IP config, and verify that it is actually showing the correct DNS and IP settings.

Check your IE settings, and verify that you don't have the proxy setting turned on. If it's set to automatic, uncheck the box.

Run the task manager and see what the link speed is, under the network tab.

You may also want to run a speedtest from the problem PCs, and compare to a working PC.

Cactus923

Commendable
Jan 24, 2017

I can't ping any websites. Even websites I can access. They all timeout. I also tried doing a path ping and those all timed out as well.

The host file doesn't seem to have anything in it. Everything looks like just notes explaining how host files work.

What version of internet explorer are you running on these windows 7 machines? Click the gear in the upper right hand corner and select "About Internet Explorer"

Cactus923

Commendable
Jan 24, 2017
So I went through another round of resetting and flushing dns cache, going through the whole list of microsoft suggestions. Once that was done I tried another reset to internet explorer and now it seems to be working fine.

It still says there's a DNS issue when I run the internet troubleshooter, but the web pages are all loading fine. So it doesn't seem like the issue is actually solved, but for now at least things seem to be alright. I'll probably be retiring these computers soon anyways so hopefully this issue won't crop up again in the near future.

Thanks for all the suggestions. As a note to answer everybody else, internet explorer is at version 11. Proxy was not turned on, and I couldn't before nor can I still ping any websites or IP's.

When I could finally get a speed test to load, it ran at the exact same speed as the other working computer's, without any dips or inconsistencies.

Thanks again for the help.