[SOLVED] Some fan cables that i am not sure where it supposed to go.

Marc Riku

Prominent
Aug 31, 2019
As i am not experienced with some of the components and where the cable are supposed to go, I have these 3 cable that go to nowhere at the moment and i am not sure what to do with them.

The first one is just an empty slot that i am not sure i need nor understand what it supposed to do. The second and third cable seems to connect to each other, but i am not sure if that is the case because it came from the same cable (?)
View: https://imgur.com/a/fFM7lfn

I don't know whether this is the appropriate place to ask this question, but any help is appreciated.

Solution
2 and 3 are the 4 pin RGB connectors.. the female (3) .. should fit on the 4 pin RGB header on mother board.. unless maybe its proprietary and then maybe plugs into 2 and the white LED out you circled Id say if for a LED light strip, so wouldn't be needed for anything unless you had a LED light strip to add to case, I would look at the number 3 plug and see if it is already attached, these plugs simply could be there incase you wish to add more RGB that wouldn't work threw the RGB Hub.. but I'm not 100% sure. but hope that sorta helps... normally if its preinstalled it has very little to hookup, but if it did have anything it would be that number 3 plug going to 4pin RGB on Motherboard

Gfost73

Reputable
Mar 23, 2019
2 and 3 are the 4 pin RGB connectors.. the female (3) .. should fit on the 4 pin RGB header on mother board.. unless maybe its proprietary and then maybe plugs into 2 and the white LED out you circled Id say if for a LED light strip, so wouldn't be needed for anything unless you had a LED light strip to add to case, I would look at the number 3 plug and see if it is already attached, these plugs simply could be there incase you wish to add more RGB that wouldn't work threw the RGB Hub.. but I'm not 100% sure. but hope that sorta helps... normally if its preinstalled it has very little to hookup, but if it did have anything it would be that number 3 plug going to 4pin RGB on Motherboard

Solution

Marc Riku

Prominent
Aug 31, 2019
So i just took a look for number 2 and 3, and it turns out that number 2 (Male) is indeed connected to number 3 with a short cable, less than 5 cm. Does this mean that 1 are just there for cosmetic purposes, 2 is for additional stuff, and 3 is actually needed? And if so, is it safe for me to just plug it (No.3) into any fan header in the mobo?

Gfost73

Reputable
Mar 23, 2019
you wouldn't plug into a fan header.. you would (if anything) plug into as RGB 4 Pin header .. and the number 1 is for a LED light strip to be attached (as you seem not to have one its not needed) ,.. normally fan hubs would connect to a power source (molex or Sata) and then the fans just connect to the hub, .. in your instance maybe you need to plug 2 into 3.. to get the RGB working , keep in mind to line up the pins with the Arrow that Should be in the connection there should be a arrow on both the male and female , which has to line up (arrow to arrow) I would look for a power plug off that Hub somewhere and for now Id just plug in the power and see the results. If the RGB didn't kick in, Id then connect those 2 ( 2 and 3) .. to see if that fixed it. as 2 and 3 could simply be extensions for new RGB things that wouldn't fit on the proprietary connections ** EDIT looking closer at your pic I see that the top connection does say Mobo to RGB so that does plug into a RGB header on your motherboard (id say the number 3 ) .. as well down bottom corner seems to be a power connection so there much be a Sata /molex power plug that would need plugged in as well.

Gfost73

Reputable
Mar 23, 2019
id think.. that maybe plug 3 , plugs into plug 2, but plug 3 also has to (or the hub somehow) has a connection to the RGB header.. the white (1) plug, is unneeded as you don't have a LED light strip to plug into that, and there must be a power plug that runs from that Hub to Sata/Molex. So id look at 1, where the power plug is.. and 2, id look at the plug 3.. if it has 2 female ends, one end would plug into the number 2 (perhaps) and one to the MOBO. just keep in mind to keep the Arrows lined up on ALL connection main thing is to look for is , 1 power plug that has to connect to that HUB, and 2 how that hub connects to board. (which could be plug 3) as for plug 2, well unless plug 3 has 2 female ends, then im not too sure about that plug , as the Hub would have to be connected somehow to motherboard and I've never seen a female connection on any board, its always male

Gfost73

Reputable
Mar 23, 2019
look for something like this on your motherboard, the ARROW on the female (3) conection MUST GO TO PIN 1.. So make sure arrow line up with the 12v part or it wont work and you could fry the RGB . (assumin female has the 2 ends ) then its possiable that plug 2 will then plug into 3.. and you still need to power fans with the sata/molex power conection that comes frmo that hub
193G87L.jpg

Marc Riku

Prominent
Aug 31, 2019
Just realized that my mobo is old enough that it doesn't even have an rgb header. I am not sure as to what to do now other than just leaving these 3 be, tied up behind the motherboard. Just for final clarification, if the mobo doesn't even have an rgb header, and all 3 connectors are associated with rgb, then is it safe for me to just not use all 3 of these connections?

Also, the sata/molex cable is already connected to the power supply, so i imagine while it does not have any rgb goodness, (or at least not configurable in terms of colour and fan speed), it should still work as a fan right? Or is it just dead?

Gfost73

Reputable
Mar 23, 2019
another option if you want RGB is to replace fans with something like this RGB fans these have there own controller .. or maybe Thermaltake has a independent RGB hub that those fans could plug into that would allow you to control the RGB threw that controller rather than the MOBO. I have used the above fans and there ok, don't expect a ton of features, but they do have a crap load of presets and so many colors it takes me a good 20 min to cycle threw them.. so its always an option and there so easy to install.. plug fans into hub, plug hub into power and presto RGB goodness.. lol..

TRENDING THREADS