Question Some folders are missing after re-installing Windows

The Mysterious Warrior

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2014
I was using a 2TB Seagate HDD but suddenly I suddenly could only get a blue screen during Windows start up. So, decided to freshly re-install Windows 1- (after failing to boot It many times using various methods) Only to find that some folders have disappeared like They Were never there in the first place! For example I had 3 folders in the "E:\Pictures\" path named "My photos", "Family's photos" & "Other". Now I can only find "Other" folder while the other two were gone!
I have already done CHKDSK and run several scans using other programs like HDD regenerator but in vain 😞
Notes:
1- The whole drive missing those folders still have the exact same free space It had before
2- I had a separate SSD drive that was running two weeks ago and a separate Windows installed in it and I could access all my folders through It (But it is now broken physically :coldsweat:

The Mysterious Warrior

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2014
Actually, I forgot to mention that but I ran the cmd "dir" and It was the only way that showed something different!
In the same example I mentioned above, the list contained two additional directories beside "Other" named "." and ".." respectively.
How can I make use of this ?

Reactions: mkaafy

mkaafy

Reputable
Jan 14, 2020
Actually, I forgot to mention that but I ran the cmd "dir" and It was the only way that showed something different!
In the same example I mentioned above, the list contained two additional directories beside "Other" named "." and ".." respectively.
How can I make use of this ?

No these two are not files.
(Dot (".") represents the current directory and double dot("..") represents parent directory which can be used to move back to previous folder.)

Wu-Zi-Mu

Honorable
Feb 20, 2016
You might have file system corruption. First thing I'd try would be to stop doing anything with that partition and get Recuva and search the partition for deleted files, in case the files are missing from the partition table.

If that doesn't work try booting from a Linux live CD, it can sometimes see corrupted folders and files that Windows won't show you.

If you have an big enough empty drive you might also want to clone the broken partition.

Another thing to check is if there's a Windows.old folder in your new install. Maybe Win 10 moved the photos there for some reason (tho I can't imagine why).

Reactions: mkaafy

The Mysterious Warrior

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2014
You might have file system corruption. First thing I'd try would be to stop doing anything with that partition and get Recuva and search the partition for deleted files, in case the files are missing from the partition table.

If that doesn't work try booting from a Linux live CD, it can sometimes see corrupted folders and files that Windows won't show you.

If you have an big enough empty drive you might also want to clone the broken partition.

Another thing to check is if there's a Windows.old folder in your new install. Maybe Win 10 moved the photos there for some reason (tho I can't imagine why).

I just tried Recuva and It didn't detect any files other than the actual "deleted" old files 😞
I already booting from a Linux CD but It didn't detect the "missing" folders too 😢

USAFRet

Titan
I was using a 2TB Seagate HDD but suddenly I suddenly could only get a blue screen during Windows start up. So, decided to freshly re-install Windows 1- (after failing to boot It many times using various methods) Only to find that some folders have disappeared like They Were never there in the first place! For example I had 3 folders in the "E:\Pictures\" path named "My photos", "Family's photos" & "Other". Now I can only find "Other" folder while the other two were gone!
I have already done CHKDSK and run several scans using other programs like HDD regenerator but in vain 😞
Notes:
1- The whole drive missing those folders still have the exact same free space It had before
2- I had a separate SSD drive that was running two weeks ago and a separate Windows installed in it and I could access all my folders through It (But it is now broken physically :coldsweat:
How did you redirect the original OS to have the Libraries to be on the E drive?
Your new OS does not know that?

Are these two physical drives? Or 2 partitions on one drive?
Please show us a screencap of your current Disk Management window.

The Mysterious Warrior

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2014
How did you redirect the original OS to have the Libraries to be on the E drive?
Your new OS does not know that?

Are these two physical drives? Or 2 partitions on one drive?
Please show us a screencap of your current Disk Management window.
I didn't redirect any library, It is just my own personal photos that I copy them myself regularly from other devices :sweatsmile:
and yes It is a single HDD which is divided to three partitions (C: , D: & E:)

TRENDING THREADS