[SOLVED] Some games crashing after overclocking video card

Tug04935

Reputable
Jan 23, 2015
Hi everyone I am having a problem with my video card since overclocking. So here is the story I have a GTX 1070, specifically the GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming 8 Gig video card that I overclocked with a +110 on the core clock and +500 on memory clock. I started with the memory first raising it slowly and then testing for stability and repeated until I hit a wall. I then did the same for the core clock, slowly raising it and stress testing until I hit a wall. Once I found the max for both the memory and core clock I applied both to just below the point at which they were unstable ans stress tested the two settings together with Unigen Heaven. After about an hour to an hour and a half there were no problems, no artifacts, no crashes nothing and the temperature stayed pretty decent it was in the very high 60's to low 70's. Now I started to play games and it is very frustrating because while 90-95% of my games are running fine with no problems there are a few that are crashing. It has to be the overclock because before that the games were running fine. What do I do now? The problem is that in the stress test everything passed so I don't know what is causing the problem the VRAM overclock or the Core Clock overclock. Do I lower both and if so by how much? Or do I unlock the voltages and apply a slight power boost? Maybe in those games the demand for power is greater then what is being supplied? Thanks

Last edited:
Solution
Many times stress tests can focus on one component and not the other. Actual games stress both. So while your CPU stress tests may show that your CPU is ok and an GPU stress test shows that your GPU is ok, an actual game putting them both under load reveals that there are issues. Back them both off just a hair and see what happens.

Tug04935

Reputable
Jan 23, 2015
CPU: Intel Core i5-8600K Overclocked to 4.9GhZ
CPU Cooler: DeepCool Captain 360mm AIO
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Gaming 7
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 (Overclocked)
Storage: 256 Gig NVME M.2 boot drive & 2TB SSD
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 (Overclocked)
Power Supply: Seasonic Focus GX-650, 650W 80+ Gold, Full-Modular
Case: DeepCool GenomeII
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home 64-bit

At idle the temperatures are 49-51* C and in games max is 63-65* C

Many times stress tests can focus on one component and not the other. Actual games stress both. So while your CPU stress tests may show that your CPU is ok and an GPU stress test shows that your GPU is ok, an actual game putting them both under load reveals that there are issues. Back them both off just a hair and see what happens.

Solution
Dec 12, 2019
TL;DR Try lowering your GPU core overclock

I had the same issue on my 1050ti, R6 Siege was running perfectly fine with +150 core overclock, Superposition benchmark ran without any problems too, but in CS:GO it just kept crashing until I backed off to +125 on core. Now, after 2 weeks, it's perfectly stable.

Reactions: rds1220

Tug04935

Reputable
Jan 23, 2015
I'm going to do that. I don't think it is the CPU as Ketchup said in the past when I've had unstable CPU overclocks it has always resulted in getting a BSOD. This is not Blue Screening it is just the games crashing and then going back to the Windows screen. In some games a message will come up saying there was a video display error.

TRENDING THREADS