[SOLVED] Some games crashing on launch ?

Jun 25, 2021
Started 2 days ago, seemingly at random. Once opening some games the loading screen animates for a split second then freezes, some games crash, others i can alt tab out of but not back in. they don't respond to anything and the only way to close it is with task manager.

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling and the problem persists.
I have also tried;
  • updating video drivers to newest version
  • rolling back video drivers to a version i know worked before
  • closing all background programs
and my computer is on the latest version of Windows.

This seems to also be an issue with some other games (Rainbow 6, Destiny 2)
But some games still work (BF4, GTAV)

Specs;
AMD Ryzen 5 1600 Six-Core Processor
24GB Ram DDR4 (2x4GB + 2x8GB)
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070

Last edited:
Solution
i already have HWMonitor installed and it gives
3.3V | min 3.328 max 3.344
5V | min 5.040 max 5.040
12V | min 12.192 max 12.192
They look good.
Although I'd let it run for a while.
You might have something intermittent going on.
Many times with that problem...it's the PSU.
Another thing I'd do is power down...and I'd reseat the plugs and the cards...just in case something came loose.
Jun 25, 2021
temps and usage seem fine, around 50 Celsius and nothing is peaking in task manager
its a silverstone strider st55f-g gold 550W psu,
i would have to guess the pc was assembled around 4-5 years ago as i bought it around 4 years ago second hand

i already have HWMonitor installed and it gives
3.3V | min 3.328 max 3.344
5V | min 5.040 max 5.040
12V | min 12.192 max 12.192
They look good.
Although I'd let it run for a while.
You might have something intermittent going on.
Many times with that problem...it's the PSU.
Another thing I'd do is power down...and I'd reseat the plugs and the cards...just in case something came loose.

Solution
Jun 25, 2021
the voltage seems stable even while playing rocket league (which works) and attempting to destiny 2 (which freezes immediately).
Also reseating the gpu and ram didnt seem to help with the issue.

an idea for what caused this is that around the time this started the power had flickered off for a second and back on while i was using the computer. it obviously turned off because the power was cut, and when i turned it back on it still ran BF4 (which is seemingly unaffected by this problem), it wasnt until later that i noticed some games wouldnt launch, so i cant be sure that this is the cause.

could be possible that either some hardware was damaged or something software side was affected, but i have no idea.