[SOLVED] Some Games crashing to desktop or freezing but not all.

Nov 27, 2018
Hey There everyone

Im having a very strange problem with a friends pc I built him a while back

Recently I went over to his place and cleaned his PC for him, Im always careful with removing and re inserting all components

So after a week he calls me up saying some games are crashing
These games include Overwatch and Need for Speed Payback
Overwatch will crash with a prompt saying "render device lost"
Need for speed will just freeze and then you have to end task.

BUT Assassins creed odyssey which is a high end game will run fine with no errors and a few other games like subnautica.

I went back to his house and saw he was overclocking his CPU so I dropped it back to normal and also applied new paste to the CPU (Cooler is a CM 212 evo)
We loaded up Overwatch and NFS and both were running fine, problem solved.

so i thought...

Two days later I get a message from him saying it is doing it again...

can anyone please assist me, I'm losing my mind over this issue and I feel responsible and stressed out

Could this have anything to do with thermal paste not doing its job correctly?
Also his drives are up to date but I am planning on doing a format too ( not sure it would help due to the problem happening after a clean)

His rig:
z270 msi tamohawk
intel i5 7600k
16gb ddr4 corsair veng 3000mhz
asus strix 1080gtx
Cant remember the PSU but its a antec 600w if I'm correct

Any advice would be great. Thank you.:??:

Laurence

Solution
I'm certainly no expert, but my friend had the exact same message when he played Overwatch. When I had a look at it from him I found he had SuperFetch disabled on his PC and he had OCed the CPU by messing in the bios with no idea what he was doing . As he was just using a stock cooler I'm sure his CPU was overheating/unstable. Overwatch seems to not play well with either CPU or GPU overclocking
Sorry I ain't got a direct solution but I do remember the error message "render device lost" when I was trouble shooting his PC was a common error, infact if I remember there were quite a few threads online dedicated to the error in Overwatch.
Also the windows 10 new feature gaming record and xbox, disable it as it causes this issue too in...

kenai1966

Honorable
Oct 20, 2015
I'm certainly no expert, but my friend had the exact same message when he played Overwatch. When I had a look at it from him I found he had SuperFetch disabled on his PC and he had OCed the CPU by messing in the bios with no idea what he was doing . As he was just using a stock cooler I'm sure his CPU was overheating/unstable. Overwatch seems to not play well with either CPU or GPU overclocking
Sorry I ain't got a direct solution but I do remember the error message "render device lost" when I was trouble shooting his PC was a common error, infact if I remember there were quite a few threads online dedicated to the error in Overwatch.
Also the windows 10 new feature gaming record and xbox, disable it as it causes this issue too in Overwatch from what I remember

Solution
Nov 27, 2018

Hey Kenai

Thank you for your response and help
I will forward this onto him and tell him to try these steps

What I don't get is why these issues are happening after I cleaned the PC and did no changes what so ever to any of the software. do you think that the hardware could have maybe changed something in the software on the pc?

I will let you know as soon I know the outcome of these steps!

Regards
Laurence