[SOLVED] Some games performing well, others not

Mar 15, 2021
I posted before outlining my issues I have been having in games, but I have bene testing and noticed in some games, I have no problems at all. Two of these games are Team Fortress 2 and Grand Theft Auto V. These two games run smoothly with no artifacts whatsoever. Three games I have been noticing issues in are COD: Cold War, Deep Rock Galactic, and Minecraft. In COD and DRG, I have framerate drops constantly and there are so many graphical artifacts that it is impossible to play. Minecraft is similar, minus the artifacts. With lowest settings I will sometimes get 15fps despite allocating more than enough resources to run fine.

My specs are:
B550M-PLUS
Ryzen 9 3900XT
Radeon RX 5700XT
32GB 3200mHz memory
750W NZXT
7TB storage

Most of my temps are normal except for one on my motherboard listed as "Temp2" in OCCT and "Temperature #3" in Open Hardware monitor as being 83-87 degrees constantly, even when not in games. Please advise!

Mariusglock

Reputable
Jun 13, 2020
When was the first time you encountered this problem? From day 1 of you getting your pc, or after some change in the system, like a driver update?

Mar 15, 2021
I began having this problem about 2.5 months into using my PC. The problems began out of nowhere when my system video crashed and I could still hear things but could not input anything. There were no driver updates or windows updates that happened before this problem began. I have troubleshot this problem by replacing my GPU with a GTX 1080 (no change), changing my memory (no change), changing my drives (no change), using different monitors (no change), and using an image of my pc I had saved to roll back to before the problems began (no change).

Mar 15, 2021
I have not overclocked any part of my system. I have my CPU running at the defaults in Ryzen Master

Mariusglock

Reputable
Jun 13, 2020
I have troubleshot this problem by replacing my GPU with a GTX 1080 (no change), changing my memory (no change), changing my drives (no change), using different monitors (no change), and using an image of my pc I had saved to roll back to before the problems began (no change).

1.Could be a dirty PCI-E slot? ( you never know)

2.Also since you tried all those fixes, could it be the CPU? Could try runing Prime95 to see how your cpu is behaving.

3.Check out this thread, seemed to help the guy with the same problem https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/gpu-artifacts-or-problem-with-games.1766286/

Most of my temps are normal except for one on my motherboard listed as "Temp2" in OCCT and "Temperature #3" in Open Hardware monitor as being 83-87 degrees constantly, even when not in games. Please advise!
4.Also just to add, could be that your VRM is overheating, and not supporting your CPU with enough power, causing your cpu to throttle, thus causing artifacts on cpu intensive games

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2021
Gave Prime95 a shot, no crash. I am going to change what PCIe slot my card is in and see if I notice a difference. I attempted verifying my game files in steam for Deep Rock Galactic but continued having the error. Here is footage of what is happening.
View: https://imgur.com/KYEwwJz

Where exactly is the VRM on my motherboard? I could not find anything on it in my manual, but I have a thermometer I can use to verify my temperatures.

carocuore

Respectable
Jan 24, 2021
Also just to add, could be that your VRM is overheating, and not supporting your CPU with enough power, causing your cpu to throttle, thus causing artifacts on cpu intensive games
I was thinking the same, why a top of the line CPU with a midrange mobo?

Those aren't -actual- GPU artifacts, it looks like textures glitching because of memory allocation or throttling.
The high temperatures could be the mobo's VRMs, the chipset or both. I'd check them via the BIOS setup or a different software that isn't labeled as temp1, temp2, etc

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Gave Prime95 a shot, no crash. I am going to change what PCIe slot my card is in and see if I notice a difference. I attempted verifying my game files in steam for Deep Rock Galactic but continued having the error. Here is footage of what is happening.
View: https://imgur.com/KYEwwJz

Where exactly is the VRM on my motherboard? I could not find anything on it in my manual, but I have a thermometer I can use to verify my temperatures.
Try a different video card driver.

Mariusglock

Reputable
Jun 13, 2020

Its on the left side of your CPU socket, just next to the socket. But it does have a"shield" so it would be tricky to measure the temp with a thermometer

Mar 15, 2021
I was thinking the same, why a top of the line CPU with a midrange mobo?

Those aren't -actual- GPU artifacts, it looks like textures glitching because of memory allocation or throttling.
The high temperatures could be the mobo's VRMs, the chipset or both. I'd check them via the BIOS setup or a different software that isn't labeled as temp1, temp2, etc

I was planning on getting a 5600 or 3700 but got a deal on the 3900XT. Any suggestions on software? I've tried a few but none have been specific.

Mar 15, 2021
Its on the left side of your CPU socket, just next to the socket. But it does have a"shield" so it would be tricky to measure the temp with a thermometer
There is a shield there, also my cooler is quite large, so I don't think I can measure it.

Mariusglock

Reputable
Jun 13, 2020
I checked HWiNFO but did not see anything labeled PCH or VRM MOS. This is what I saw in the motherboard section:
View: https://imgur.com/a/CF9A92B

I have an excel file with a second-long log but I am not sure if that would be of any assistance.
could be that the manufacturer did not add a sensor for VRM temps on this motherboard model. Im seeing my temperatures just fine on my rig.

You could try getting a spare fan, or one of your case air flow fans, and blowing air to your VRM while playing the games, just to see if it fixes the problem, and if it does, you know whats the problem

And dont forget to put the fan in the correct direction, so your blowing the air to the VRM.
open-grille.png

Last edited:

Mariusglock

Reputable
Jun 13, 2020
If you have a big heat sink on the cpu and a thick vrm shield, then yeah the fans will make no diference, theres going to be barelly any cool air hitting the vrm. If youre willing to experiment, could try removing the shield, and blow air directly then. But its up to you if you want to try that

Mar 15, 2021
I figured out the issue, my CPU was bad. I managed to test it in a separate system and the same issues were observed. Currently getting in touch with AMD for an RMA. Thanks for the help everyone!