[SOLVED] Some games stutter consistently with sound card on and don't with it off.

Aug 31, 2020
This is my first post
Hello, I would like to understand what the problem is with my games stuttering.
Some of my games stutter with sound card enabled in device manager. And when disabled they don't.
I recorded oblivion consistent stuttering out of combat and random stutters with fps drops shown and weird accessing of the disk with sound card enabled. The game is on ssd. Also recorded no fps stutter with sound card disabled in device manager and no accessing of the disk. I also tested two different sound cards and it made no difference.
I would like to post videos, I uploaded to youtube showing everything if its possible.

Last edited:
Solution
Then I should get another new sound card?
That's what I would suggest if you're not happy with onboard sound. This time however I advise you research what you buy well and make SURE it supports W10. I would also check to see if drivers are still being updated for it, even if you have to contact the manufacturer.
What brand/model of sound cards did you test, and are their drivers updated?

Note that OS compatibility and driver support can be an issue with a fair number of sound cards. Sometimes you have to hope the actual manufacture of the main DSP chip on the card keeps driver supporting it, as manufactures of the cards often leave you hanging, especially with the advent of new OSes.

Aug 31, 2020
I have Gigabyte z68 xp motherboard with realtek onboard sound and usb sound card espada paau003. The gigabyte website doesnt have it. I got realtek drivers with driver booster 7. They work. And there isn't any options there. Either windows 10 ones or realtek ones.

I have Gigabyte z68 xp motherboard with realtek onboard sound and usb sound card espada paau003. The gigabyte website doesnt have it. I got realtek drivers with driver booster 7. They work. And there isn't any options there. Either windows 10 ones or realtek ones.
From what I've read, it only supports up to W7. That may be the problem, as well as driver support issues. It seems to be an older model, as in my searching I've seen 005 models.

Don't know why you keep mentioning your MB. it doesn't really matter. You're not using your MB's onboard sound, you're using an external sound card who's requirements state it only supports up through W7.

Yeah of course it stutters, don't need any proof of that. It's what can happen when you don't use hardware that's compatible with your OS.

Aug 31, 2020
Yes I am using my MB onboard sound. I tried with a new external usb sound card and still the same. If it is the driver. Then I should get another new sound card?

Last edited: