Redfox

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2004
Hi guys, im realatively new to the forums but ahve been a reader of THG for a couple of years now. That is why that when i encounted this error with my graphics card i thought that somebody here would be able to help me :)

The other day when i turned on my computer, the startup images were distorted and at the desktop there were 4 thinck lines about 10 pixels wide each that wew all distortedgoing form the top of the screen to the bottom. I restarted a couple of times, re-installed the drivers (Omege 4.12 been using em for ages) and it went away so i thought happy days but then the day or so after iw as playing WoW and this happened:

706780770a1539267602b759640345l.jpg

Doesnt look too good. My graphics card is a 9800XT and i ahve had it since release of HL2 really. It used to get very hot playing that game and i could see a few pixels turning red or white so i bought an arctic cooling cooler which took the temp down form 90 degrees celcius to about 65-70 and it worked fine ever since until the other day when those things started happening. At the minute im running on my old 9200SE but i woudl really like to get my 9800XT back in the action.

Any help no the matter would be greatly appreciated,
thanks,
Matt.

Slava

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2002
You must have tried overclocking your video card without adequate cooling. Either that or it is overheating because of higher ambient temps due to hot summer weather. I had the same screen corruption after overclocking my first GF6800 Ultra and running it like that for a couple of months. I had to RMA it. Never overclocked the replacement card. No problems.

Redfox

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2004
Thanks for the replies :)

The thing is i have never tried to overclock it...it was always too hot anyway never mind makeing it worse but before i put the enw cooler on it was really high temps and nothign like that had ever happened. During the hot days it was going fine aswell and the day when ti did that it was that hot there had been far hotter days.

Is there anywya to test this card see if ti is permananyly damaged or if i ca be fixed?

Thanks,
Matt

muffins

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
well take a look at it and see if theres any physical damage ie. capacitors etc. if theres none of that then yer better off assuming its toast. look at the bright side though, u get to buy a new card :)

jap0nes

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2006
Is there anywya to test this card see if ti is permananyly damaged or if i ca be fixed?
you can put it on another computer and see if the same problems occur.

how about the air flow inside your case? a new cooler wont help if hot air is stuck inside the case. Also, make sure that the fan in the card's cooler is spinning and clean up dust.

Slava

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2002
well take a look at it and see if theres any physical damage ie. capacitors etc. if theres none of that then yer better off assuming its toast

No, this is not true. The card is not necessarily fried. It may simply be overheating. You need to determine if this is the case.

The thing is i have never tried to overclock it...

If it is simply overheating then you can try to figure out WHY it is doing that and take appropriate steps to correct the problem.

Before you do anything else (like take the card out and test it in a different PC), run your PC with an open case instead. If you have a room fan, point it at your open PC. Also make sure that the fan on the GPU heatsink is spinning like it should (fast and steady). It would help if your room were airconditioned as well.

Simply opening your PC case and pointing a fan at it can reduce your CPU / GPU temps by 20% or more (unless your room temp is high). If artifacting stops then you need to either get a bigger, roomier case with a good ventilation system OR you did not install that aftermarket cooler on your video card correctly....

but before i put the enw cooler on it was really high temps and nothign like that had ever happened.

Dude, haven't you heard? If it ain't broken, don't fix it! WHY in the world did you put an aftermarket cooler on this card if it was working fine? Who cares if it is hot as long as it works fine? (Especially considering that you did not intend to overclock it... hmmm...) Installing an aftermarket cooler on a GPU is a very delicate process. This feat is not for everyone and it is easy to mess things up.

darkstar782

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
To be honest that screengrab looks exactly like what I'd expect if the card was overclocked too far. You say you havent OCed it, but try UNDERclocking it and see if it goes away, it will still be better than a 9200!

Redfox

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2004
Well when i say nothing liek that ever happend i meant nothing that bad, i did get lots of red and white specs when playing DOOM 3 and th temp was at 90 degrees. I installed the aftermarket cooler about a year ago and it has worked fine ever since so i doubt it was installed incorrectly.

Even the boot up screens are messed up and i doubt it woudl get to over normal temperature within a couple of seconds of boot up or would it?

Again thanks for all responses on this matter :)

Redfox

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2004
Assuming it is toast (which i am from the fact that even start up screens are bust and the monitor looses a signal before windows has fully boted up) which card woudl you reccomend as a replacement that will alst me until next summer when i was plannin on upgrading my whole system anyway. Im looking for somethign fairly cheap and is AGP.

Would an X1600Pro 512mb be any good?

jap0nes

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2006
Assuming it is toast (which i am from the fact that even start up screens are bust and the monitor looses a signal before windows has fully boted up) which card woudl you reccomend as a replacement that will alst me until next summer when i was plannin on upgrading my whole system anyway. Im looking for somethign fairly cheap and is AGP.

Would an X1600Pro 512mb be any good?
is your monitor good?

Redfox

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2004
Yeah originally i thought it was my monitor that wasnt working but i tried a different one and the same problem happend :(