some help, build+carpet = static

windie

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2007
So ill be building my system, but my room is all carpeted (hav no other choice). From what I have been reading online, I have to touch a non painted part of the case before touching any parts. I have a couple of tables to build it on, im not going to put it on the carpet. What about footwear? should i wear some rubber slippers or something?
Is this all the necessary precautions? thanks

G

Just make sure you touch steel before touching a component. Or you could drop another $20 and buy a grounding bracelet, which I personally think is dumb.

Just be aware if you've moved your feet since you last grounded yourself. Hell, you can even keep a couple unpainted steel bolts on your desk for you to touch before you handle anything.

akhilles

Splendid
Newspaper, magazines, books, cardboards are ok. You can even put a video upside down on a box. I lay everything out in my bed with some old anti-static mobo bags. Try to move as little as possible. i.e. build the barebone 1st in one go.

$5 for an anti-static strap at most places.

Any metal you touch needs to be grounded. Some isolated metal bolts on your desk will not help.

I use an approach similar to akhilles. I install the PSU first, make absolutely that it is turned off at the power switch in back, and plug the power cord into the wall outlet. That way the case is grounded throgh the PSU and its power cord.

nvalhalla

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2006
install the psu, make sure it's off, keep in contact with the bare metal of the case. I ususally keep 1 hand or a forearm touching the side of the case. I would work barefoot, but even with wool socks on it won't matter as long as you touch the case.

gwolfman

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2007

This is probably the easiest and most cost effective (doesn't cost anything). On the other hand, I've built a few of my computers on the carpet floor without an issue. I do try not to slide things around on the carpet, and I take steps and or make sure I pick up my knees when moving (opposed to sliding them), but I've never had an issue with over 6+ PC that I've built.

windie

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2007
thanks you all for the replies, will take the dryer sheets into account lol.

Im aware now of the certain small precautions. However I didnt get the grounded of the psu. After installing the psu and plugging it on (making sure it is off), before this i must also turn of the back end power for the whole room from the power circuit or something? Cause I live in a apartment type building and may not be possible.
I have an internal heating system though that covers the entire width of the room, it has a metal casing. So could i just put the psu power cord on that metal casing?

rockyjohn

Distinguished

No, you don't need to turn off any circuit breakers, just make sure you turn off the power supply using the on/off button on the psu which will then be on the back of the computer case. With the psu still plugged into the wall, the plug and unit will still be grounded to your electrical system.