[SOLVED] Some Info on speed. Add to it please!

Joel89

Prominent
May 2, 2020
So I was having issues with some ram I bought and I thought "awe man I bought the wrong stuff". It crashed my a few times before I finally reinstalled the poop that I had in it. A buddy of mine told me about XMP in bios and I should enable it and set my frequency to 1866mhz. So I did. Check in TM and my speed said 933mhz. He told me that's too low and I should be getting more and he's look into it tomorrow. Well I looked into it tonight. Apparently depending on which version of Windows update you have the results of your RAM speed will show half of the actual value of your speed. With this new info I took the 933mhz speed and doubled it to get 1866mhz which is what my ram sticks say on them. I took it a step further just to be 100% sure and found this command for cmd.
"wmic MEMORYCHIP get BankLabel, Capacity, DeviceLocator, MemoryType, TypeDetail, Speed
BankLabel Capacity DeviceLocator MemoryType Speed TypeDetail" (between the quotes). This shows the ram slots and what their frequency/speed is. All 4 of my ports showed 1866.
I really hope this info helps someone out there and I could always go for some pointers and tips and some constructive critisism if some I have mentioned is wrong. Always looking to improve! Enjoy and stay safe!

Solution
It was showing the actually clock speed when it showed 933Mhz. DDR3 1866 has an actual clock speed of 933Mhz with a data rate of 1866. DDR(Double Data Rate) ram is advertised based on its data rate not it's actual clock speed(which is half it's data rate). Some thing will report data rate other will report actual clock speed.

bignastyid

Titan
It was showing the actually clock speed when it showed 933Mhz. DDR3 1866 has an actual clock speed of 933Mhz with a data rate of 1866. DDR(Double Data Rate) ram is advertised based on its data rate not it's actual clock speed(which is half it's data rate). Some thing will report data rate other will report actual clock speed.

Solution

Joel89

Prominent
May 2, 2020

Yes Thank you I knew I had misinterpreted The "Double" I just didn't know how to word it but you did it for me. This stuff confuses a lot of people when it comes to purchasing ram. In Layman's Term, Whatever the data rate on the stick says, the actual speed(mhz) is half that. If this is correct press 1. Thanks again!