Question Some kind of burning smell and shut downs

May 18, 2019
Last couple of days I've smelt some kind of burning smell, most likely plastic I think, coming from my computer. It's a not very old computer. Intel i5 6600 3.8ghz, 16 GB ram, GTX 970, 2 x ssd, 1 x 1tb HDD, Corsair cx750 psu.

I was playing some Guild Wars 2 and decided to go downstairs to get some dinner. When I came back up to find my computer off and wouldn't turn back on. I checked to make sure there wasn't a wider electrical issue but it was just my computer.

After a while I could turn it on again and this is when I noticed the smell. Instantly I check my temperatures and notice that they were climbing when I played my game and had my browser up. It shut off at around 90 degrees and I left it for that day. Today I've been removing the heat sink and fan which was just a basic one for intel. Changed it for the coolmaster Evo 12 something I think. Bought it ages ago and never got round to putting it in. Thought this would sort it but noticed the smell was still there when I turned it on again.

At first the temperature was staying stable at 65 even with a game up but then it started to climb into the 80s after about an hour of playing. Still smells.

A quick look on here suggests looking at he my motherboard which all looks in tact, nothing melted or bulging. That leaves my PSU I guess?

Any suggestions about this situation would be appreciated. I partially built this and my last gaming rig so I have mediocre knowledge.

This does indicate a PSU failure normally.
The CX750 when it launched was a lower end unit and somewhat prone to failure. The older CX power supplies have green text on the label. They looked like this: https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categ...Power-Supply-(Refurbished)/p/CP-9020015-NA/RF
The CX line has since been refreshed to be more reliable and more efficient. Now the CX750 has grey lettering on the label. They now look like this: https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categ...Supply-Units/cx-series-config/p/CP-9020123-NA
Does your PSU have grey or green lettering? Do you have any warranty left on the PSU? Corsair is usually good for getting replacements under warranty.

May 18, 2019
Would the PSU failing cause some heat issues?

The Corsair CX750 I have does have green lettering. I thought it would have been a decent one since it's Corsair.

Any suggestions for a reliable PSU?

Well the old CX units were commonly bought since Corsair is known for having some quality high-end power supply units. Unfortunately, the same reliability did not trickle down to their budget units. Some Corsair VS or "builder" power supplies are very low quality and prone to failure, even though they are still sold new.

Their New CX units are much better than the old ones, however.
The Grey label CX psus are about the same as a SeaSonic S12 quality wise, however, the CXM platform is newer.
The old CX power supplies are warrantied for 3 years and are rated for 30C.
The newer CX 450, 550, and 650 models are essentially cost reduced RM power supplies. The newer CX 450, 550, 650 models are 40C rated, utilize black cables, and a 5-year warranty.
Read more:https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/588430-difference-between-corsair-cx-green-and-grey-psu/

May 18, 2019
Looks like I bought it in 2016 so it's very likely to be out of warranty. I'd much rather spend my money and get a decent one. Kinda good timing coz my HDD is dying too and needs replacing.

Also my room still smells even though I've had my windows open all day...