[SOLVED] Some kind of gunk on GPU

Apr 27, 2022
A buddy of mine is giving me his old GPU that he's had stored for about a year now, but he says it's got some kind of gunk on it we aren't sure what it is. He says he plugged it into a PSU and it ran, but hasn't been able to test it beyond that. I pretty much don't know thing one when it comes to hardware, do you think this could be salvaged or even work as-is?
20220308_145347.jpg

Solution
A buddy of mine is giving me his old GPU
Scrub gently with isopropyl alcohol and a soft-bristled toothbrush.

Let it dry for a day after, just to be safe. Hair dryer on low heat setting also speeds up dry time.

As long as you let it dry thoroughly, you can get quite a bit of liquid on it. (again isopropyl works best because of it's rapid dry time and little/no residue)

Like Skynetrising said, scrub gently. You don't want to knock off any small bits.

Ralston18

Titan
Looks to me as if a capacitor leaked and/or the GPU got really overheated somewhere along the way.

In either case, my thought is that the GPU cannot be salvaged and even testing the GPU could damage the host motherboard/system.

Just my thoughts on the matter.

A buddy of mine is giving me his old GPU
Scrub gently with isopropyl alcohol and a soft-bristled toothbrush.

Let it dry for a day after, just to be safe. Hair dryer on low heat setting also speeds up dry time.

As long as you let it dry thoroughly, you can get quite a bit of liquid on it. (again isopropyl works best because of it's rapid dry time and little/no residue)

Like Skynetrising said, scrub gently. You don't want to knock off any small bits.

Reactions: ThatRadioGeek
Solution