[SOLVED] some kind of static electricity builds up on my wooden pc table over time, probably from a monitor

FullTank

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2015
hi, basically here's why i think so - electrical thermometer turns itself on, on it's own, when it's lying below my monitor, even when it's inside it's plastic coverage , but not in other rooms
sometimes if i'm just slightly touching(just a slight touch) any of the usb slots on my pc case with any of my usbs which were on my table - pc will shutdown instantly
recently displayport on my monitor started acting really weird, image kept turning black on any cable, in any dp slot of the gpu, there were clapping sounds inside the monitor occasionally while connected to displayport as well as super short artifacts sometimes
i tried even super outdated resolutions like 800x600 and any hz and result was still the same, disabling freesync and changing the colors of display from 8bit to 6bit, didn't helped either
there were no issues on the screen when i was connected through dvi-d for some weeks, now i tried hdmi and it does that weird greyish artifact very rarely and very rarely screen turns black, i assume it's because hdmi is right next to the damaged display port, while dvi-d is further away
monitor is aoc ag241qx and at this point i feel like i needed to create a thread in a monitors section

but my main concern is the static (which i suppose is static) , since i don't know a solution to "unstatic" my usbs before inserting them, or before even slightly touching the usb slot with them
don't know what to do really and throwing the monitor out would be kinda unfortunate, any suggestions? don't know if this thing can kill my usbs etc, not entirely sure if it's coming from the monitor either since i am not an electricity expert.

Last edited:
Solution
thanks, never heard about that before, does that thing must be placed on the desk? also for how much does a generic version goes for? i am kinda at loss what to look for as there's some various results in google from 40 usd to 1500 usd, basically an example would be super appreciated
For just your computer room, a steam or ultrasonic should be fine. Here is a "best of" article to help -- https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/reviews/the-best-humidifier/
The editor's choice should be good.
Low humidity is the main contributor to static build-up, that is why it is more common in winter months.

kanewolf

Titan
hi, basically here's why i think so - electrical thermometer turns itself on, on it's own, when it's lying below my monitor, even when it's inside it's plastic coverage , but not in other rooms
sometimes if i'm just slightly touching(just a slight touch) any of the usb slots on my pc case with any of my usbs which were on my table - pc will shutdown instantly
recently displayport on my monitor started acting really weird, image kept turning black on any cable, in any dp slot of the gpu, there were clapping sounds inside the monitor occasionally while connected to displayport as well as super short artifacts sometimes
i tried even super outdated resolutions like 800x600 and any hz and result was still the same, disabling freesync and changing the colors of display from 8bit to 6bit, didn't helped either
there were no issues on the screen when i was connected through dvi-d for some weeks, now i tried hdmi and it does that weird greyish artifact very rarely and very rarely screen turns black, i assume it's because hdmi is right next to the damage display port, while dvi-d is further away
monitor is aoc ag241qx and at this point i feel like i needed to create a thread in a monitors section

but my main concern is the static (which i suppose is static) , since i don't know a solution to "unstatic" my usbs before inserting them, or before even slightly touching the usb slot with them
don't know what to do really and throwing the monitor out would be kinda unfortunate, any suggestions? don't know if this thing can kill my usbs etc, not entirely sure if it's coming from the monitor either since i am not an electricity expert.
The "solution" to static is humidity. You need a humidifier.

FullTank

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2015
The "solution" to static is humidity. You need a humidifier.
thanks, never heard about that before, does that thing must be placed on the desk? also for how much does a generic version goes for? i am kinda at loss what to look for as there's some various results in google from 40 usd to 1500 usd, basically an example would be super appreciated

kanewolf

Titan
For just your computer room, a steam or ultrasonic should be fine. Here is a "best of" article to help -- https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/reviews/the-best-humidifier/
The editor's choice should be good.
Low humidity is the main contributor to static build-up, that is why it is more common in winter months.

Solution