Some Language Leftovers

Nov 2, 2018
Hi, I bought a laptop in Spain, with pre-installed Windows 10 Home edition. The language, of course, was all in Spanish, as was the keyboard. I downloaded the English language pack and installed it, and via Settings, Time and Language, Region and Language, I set Region to UK, and set Language to English (United Kingdom), and checked that the Administrative Language settings were now all set to English (UK). However....

When I restarted the laptop everything is now in English, except, the initial Windows splash screen, which is still in Spanish, and when I right click a file all the submenu items are in English, except one or two items which are still in Spanish.

Did I miss something?

Nov 2, 2018
Nothing so drastic ex-bubblehead. Just found the missing tick box. Go to:

Settings/Time & Language/Region & Language/ Then scroll down to Administrative Language Settings, select the Administrative Tab, click on Copy Settings..., at this point I noticed that all my language settings were set to English (United Kingdom) except the Display Language under Welcome Screen, which was set to Spanish. It took a while but then I found by ticking the box below Copy current settings to: [ ] Welcome screen and system accounts, the Spanish was replaced with English (United Kingdom).

Now everything is in English, including the Windows splash screen, welcome screen, etc. Now, the ONLY thing left is the following: when I right click on a file on my Desktop, say a text file, all the sub-menu items are in English, except one, Scan with Windows Defender, which is in Spanish. Why this last one is still in Spanish is beyond me. But, I will find it, eventually...

Rock