[SOLVED] some laptop keys are not responsive ASUS ROG GL502VT

Dec 6, 2020
Hello

So I have a 3-4 year old ASUS ROG GL502VT laptop running windows 10. Sometime last month out of nowhere several of my laptop keys have become nonresposive. The keys in question are "Q", "X", "C", "V", "M", " . ", and rightShift. Basically it takes around 5-20 seconds of the button depressed for the character to appear on screen. The weird thing is, is that this isn't consistent. Sometimes, the keys seem to be working just fine, other times it seems like only some of the aforementioned keys has a problem. The majority of the time, though, they are an issue. I have not figured out the situations in which the keys respond normally. Even within the writing of this post the amount of time needed to press each on of those keys has varied greatly from "not a problem" to "20 second depression". I do not know anything that prompted this damage. I can say that right before I noticed this happening, I was traveling with my laptop in a suitcase, but I am very careful with it and it has its own hard case.

I have tried removing the problem keys and pressing the little rubber thing under them directly, I have tried uninstalling the keyboard BIOS and restarting the computer, and I have tried opening the laptop up and taking out and reinserting the keyboard ribbon cable into the motherboard. Nothing worked. Initially after putting the ribbon cable out and in it seems like it might have had a positive effect on the keys (again hard to tell because it is seemingly random), but the next day it was back to normal. Any ideas?

Solution
Go to this site, Keyboard Tester and see if any key is depressed while you're keys aren't touched. Then try and test each key. Often times you can have one ore more keys depressed or there's dirt or debris under the keycap that might induce a key press. Other times, it's highly possible that the keyboard just needs replacing.

As a precursor, is your laptop on the latest BIOS update? Version of Windows 10 the latest as well?

Lutfij

Titan
Go to this site, Keyboard Tester and see if any key is depressed while you're keys aren't touched. Then try and test each key. Often times you can have one ore more keys depressed or there's dirt or debris under the keycap that might induce a key press. Other times, it's highly possible that the keyboard just needs replacing.

As a precursor, is your laptop on the latest BIOS update? Version of Windows 10 the latest as well?

Solution