Question Some memory works some doesnt

Oct 7, 2020
So I recently got a P8Z77-V LX and have been having ram issue with it, I have tried corsiar 2x2gb ram in 3rd and 4th and it works but it doesnt in 2nd and 1st, then I tried my ripjaw 2gbx2 in 3rd and 4th and it doesnt work nor in 2nd with the corsair in 3rd and 4th , I also have got 1x4gb in 3rd and 4th to work, all ram speeds are 1333mhz.
My system:
PSU: VS550
CPU:i7 3770K
Motherboard: P8Z77-V LX
GPU:none

Oct 7, 2020
Thanks for the quick reply, I was playing with the memory just then trying all 8 of ny diffrent 1333mhz drr3 ram and it seems only 3rd and 4th channel are working, I will try resiting the processor and look at the pins.

ak195

Distinguished
Use only those Rams which are meant for that generation. Due to change of Ram voltage, it sometimes not work.
Don't use 4thGen supported processor rams on 2ndGen.
You will keep changing Ram slots in your life if you are using rams not suited for your generation.
So, Always check which RAM is supported with the processor.

Reactions: TenderRaspberry
Oct 7, 2020
Use only those Rams which are meant for that generation. Due to change of Ram voltage, it sometimes not work.
Don't use 4thGen supported processor rams on 2ndGen.
You will keep changing Ram slots in your life if you are using rams not suited for your generation.
So, Always check which RAM is supported with the processor.
I did not know the ram had to be supported by the proccesor thanks,

Reactions: ak195
So I recently got a P8Z77-V LX and have been having ram issue with it, I have tried corsiar 2x2gb ram in 3rd and 4th and it works but it doesnt in 2nd and 1st, then I tried my ripjaw 2gbx2 in 3rd and 4th and it doesnt work nor in 2nd with the corsair in 3rd and 4th , I also have got 1x4gb in 3rd and 4th to work, all ram speeds are 1333mhz.
My system:
PSU: VS550
CPU:i7 3770K
Motherboard: P8Z77-V LX
GPU:none
Do you in fact refer to the manual page 2-5 for your mobo for populating the slots ?
https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1155/P8Z77-V_LX/E8533_P8Z77-V_LX.pdf
When putting 2 sticks they should be in slots with the same color (blue or black).
What is the exact reference of the various RAM you are trying ?
And what is the Bios version ? You'll maybe should upgrade to the last version as there was multiple revisions and improvement for CPU and RAM compatibility since 2012

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2020
Do you in fact refer to the manual page 2-5 for your mobo for populating the slots ?
https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1155/P8Z77-V_LX/E8533_P8Z77-V_LX.pdf
When putting 2 sticks they should be in slots with the same color (blue or black).
What is the exact reference of the various RAM you are trying ?
And what is the Bios version ? You'll maybe should upgrade to the last version as there was multiple revisions and improvement for CPU and RAM compatibility since 2012
Yes I have referred to the manual, it says I can use ddr3, They only slots work are the 2nd grey and 2nd blue. The ram I have used is 1.5v DDR3 1333Mhz and I have updates the bios to the latest one.

I have check the ram socket all seems fine
Not ram socket.
You have to check cpu socket for bent/misaligned/broken pins.

deec5da9-8c3d-48a4-a684-9da6c822b764.png

1da29771-98a9-4004-b3f9-ce2c9ca9ae42.png

bfe29f29-fdf0-41c0-83ec-8e4952da3f5c.png

Last edited:

ak195

Distinguished
I checked all seems perfect the cpu had nothing on the pads aswell
According to my knowledge, if you know that your socket and CPU is fine, then may be it has nothing to do with bent/misaligned or broken pins. If this is the case then problem first arises with the processor not the RAM.
You have to make sure that motherboard is all fine and RAM slots have no issue.
Try this:
* Use each single RAM in each slot every time (i.e. set one ram in first slot and check, then try second one), because of this you will gain some more clarity that is there any issue with slot, or ram, or combination of those rams. If all cases goes right, then problem may be with the Board or processor

*** Give me clear situation that when you turn on your system, what happens? black screen, beep, nothing etc...

Oct 7, 2020
According to my knowledge, if you know that your socket and CPU is fine, then may be it has nothing to do with bent/misaligned or broken pins. If this is the case then problem first arises with the processor not the RAM.
You have to make sure that motherboard is all fine and RAM slots have no issue.
Try this:
* Use each single RAM in each slot every time (i.e. set one ram in first slot and check, then try second one), because of this you will gain some more clarity that is there any issue with slot, or ram, or combination of those rams. If all cases goes right, then problem may be with the Board or processor

*** Give me clear situation that when you turn on your system, what happens? black screen, beep, nothing etc...
I have tried all 8 of my diffrent ram in each slot, the only llspots that it boots are 3 and 4, if I put it in 1 or 2 even with ram in the working 3 and 4 the ram led goes on and doesnt boot, I tired the Ram Ok button but it doesnt work, it only seems to be the 3rd and 4th slot

ak195

Distinguished
I have tried all 8 of my diffrent ram in each slot, the only llspots that it boots are 3 and 4, if I put it in 1 or 2 even with ram in the working 3 and 4 the ram led goes on and doesnt boot, I tired the Ram Ok button but it doesnt work, it only seems to be the 3rd and 4th slot
if RAMS are working fine on another system, then replace your motherboard and use your CPU and RAMs on it.