[SOLVED] Some of my fans doesn't work

Oct 12, 2019
Hi guys!
I'm all new in this community, so sorry for noob question.
So I just finished my first build yesterday. I used the included case fan with the fractal design core 500 (fractal design silent series R3 140mm) as exhaust, which is a 3 pin fan. It works perfectly when i connect it to either of the two 4 pin case fan headers on the asrock fatal1ty b450 itx motherboard. The problem is that i bought two arctic f14 pwm as additional case fans, and none of these fans work on either header, not even when i try to control them through the bios (the fan rpm shows as N/A). I find it pretty unlikely that i've gotten two bad fans, so what am i doing wrong?

hope you guys can help :)

Solution
You have not gotten 2 bad fans.
You have possible gotten 2 fans with non-standard connections.
Which means the 12V and ground does not connect to the fan as expected.

Surf the manufacturers site for any information on these fans. You may find gold nuggets there.
If not - RMA the fans, as they are both - unexpectedly - not working.

kaehligj

Prominent
Mar 15, 2018
Can the fan female connectors be mounted in reverse ?
If so - Murphys law says they are always fitted reversed.

Rightmost wire on the connector should be black system ground
next wire should be red +12V
speed control wire next would be yellow
last and leftmost would be blue or any other colour as the speed readback

BTW : no noob questions exists, we all need to learn - continuously :)

kaehligj

Prominent
Mar 15, 2018
All mobo case fan connectors should be live as default and work right out of the box no setup required.
Try the other free connectors you can find even if the readback pin would float free.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Unplug the 3pin and plug in the 4pin fans, see if they work then. You probably have bios set for DC control of the headers, and the 7v that they are receiving isn't enough voltage to turn them, as pwm is a dedicated 12v.

It would be best if bios had individual mode settings for each header, but many do not, only one setting for all. You'd need to set that for Auto, and hopefully the motherboard is smart enough to know the difference.

Oct 12, 2019
I tried that, but it doesnt seem to work. I sat the bios to pwm control for the specific header aaaannd.... nothing happened.... it's real weird

kaehligj

Prominent
Mar 15, 2018
You have not gotten 2 bad fans.
You have possible gotten 2 fans with non-standard connections.
Which means the 12V and ground does not connect to the fan as expected.

Surf the manufacturers site for any information on these fans. You may find gold nuggets there.
If not - RMA the fans, as they are both - unexpectedly - not working.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS