Question Some of my games stutter/ drop fps

Dec 6, 2022
Hi,

so i drop frames/stutter in a few games, rocket league, call of duty modern warfare 2 and valorant mostly.

Other games like fifa, gta run fine without any stutters or noticable drops.

CPU
Intel Core i9-9900K

Motherboard
ASRock B365M-HDV Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard

Memory
Kingston HyperX Fury 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory

Storage
Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 3.5" 7200 RPM Internal Hard Drive

Storage
Kingston A400 120 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive

Video Card
Gigabyte MINI ITX OC GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER 6 GB Video Card

Power Supply
EVGA 450 BR 450 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply

Thanks for any help :)

Here is a list of things to do
1 as @testeras said update your gpu driver
2 type can i run game xyz game into your browser , you should see a mini program on screen to scan your pc to see if its good enough to run what your having a problem with ... no offence meant.
3 load up a game you know is causing you a problem and put EVERYTHING on the lowest possible settings to see if you still have a problem , if not then increase each setting bit by bit.

The following is copy/pasted from a previously used word document to help people like you....

1. run dxdiag
  2. run windows memory test , it will tell you if ram is faulty but not which stick
  3. check device manager for any yellow triangles.
  4. use task manager to see what is running in background.
  5. look in add/remove for anything you dont recognise.
6 look in reliability monitor and google any errors.
7. run scans with malware bytes , anti virus and widows defender , all 3 look for different things.

NOTE ... if malwarebytes finds anything , quarentine and delete it and run scan again till it finds nothing , the is necessary because malware stuff can be in several segments and malwarebytes does not always get rid of things on first scan

Just to add to the other posters observations:

You are running your system (which has a power-hungry CPU, and a midrange GPU) with what can only be described as an average PSU at best. Change that for something better that can handle your system with ease. You are right on the edge of just being able to provide enough power, never minding the PSU is weak to begin with.

You also have an I9 9900k running in a B365. Whilst technically it can run that CPU, it is not designed to handle the power load. It could be your throttling either with VRM's or CPU. What cooler are you using for the CPU?

Reactions: drivinfast247
Dec 6, 2022
Here is a list of things to do
1 as @testeras said update your gpu driver
2 type can i run game xyz game into your browser , you should see a mini program on screen to scan your pc to see if its good enough to run what your having a problem with ... no offence meant.
3 load up a game you know is causing you a problem and put EVERYTHING on the lowest possible settings to see if you still have a problem , if not then increase each setting bit by bit.

The following is copy/pasted from a previously used word document to help people like you....

1. run dxdiag
  2. run windows memory test , it will tell you if ram is faulty but not which stick
  3. check device manager for any yellow triangles.
  4. use task manager to see what is running in background.
  5. look in add/remove for anything you dont recognise.
6 look in reliability monitor and google any errors.
7. run scans with malware bytes , anti virus and widows defender , all 3 look for different things.

NOTE ... if malwarebytes finds anything , quarentine and delete it and run scan again till it finds nothing , the is necessary because malware stuff can be in several segments and malwarebytes does not always get rid of things on first scan

Thank you, i will check all of that out

Dec 6, 2022
Just to add to the other posters observations:

You are running your system (which has a power-hungry CPU, and a midrange GPU) with what can only be described as an average PSU at best. Change that for something better that can handle your system with ease. You are right on the edge of just being able to provide enough power, never minding the PSU is weak to begin with.

You also have an I9 9900k running in a B365. Whilst technically it can run that CPU, it is not designed to handle the power load. It could be your throttling either with VRM's or CPU. What cooler are you using for the CPU?

Yeah im looking into improving pretty much everything except for the cpu, the cooler i use is snowman 6 https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100...&terminal_id=b545f06868a34962866b5c2a9daedf9a

How do you tell that it isnt good enough? My friend built my pc and he suggested that one :/

So, it's mainly my opinion based on a couple of things. Firstly the price is low, so is a pointer. (Not all low cost Coolers are bad though). Secondly I can't find any reviews on it. Thirdly, it maxes out at 200w TDP, and your CPU can go beyond 210w, so it won't be able to cool the CPU fully at boost speeds, which is why it may be throttling.

You can test this.

Your CPU has an all core clock boost of 4.7ghz. Run Cinebench R23 on a loop and look at what speeds your CPU is hitting. If it is lower than 4.7ghz then your CPU may be throttling.

So, it's mainly my opinion based on a couple of things. Firstly the price is low, so is a pointer. (Not all low cost Coolers are bad though). Secondly I can't find any reviews on it. Thirdly, it maxes out at 200w TDP, and your CPU can go beyond 210w, so it won't be able to cool the CPU fully at boost speeds, which is why it may be throttling.

You can test this.

Your CPU has an all core clock boost of 4.7ghz. Run Cinebench R23 on a loop and look at what speeds your CPU is hitting. If it is lower than 4.7ghz then your CPU may be throttling.
I'd wager his VRM would throttle before the CPU.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
Hi,

so i drop frames/stutter in a few games, rocket league, call of duty modern warfare 2 and valorant mostly.

Other games like fifa, gta run fine without any stutters or noticable drops.

CPU
Intel Core i9-9900K

Motherboard
ASRock B365M-HDV Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard

Memory
Kingston HyperX Fury 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory

Storage
Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 3.5" 7200 RPM Internal Hard Drive

Storage
Kingston A400 120 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive

Video Card
Gigabyte MINI ITX OC GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER 6 GB Video Card

Power Supply
EVGA 450 BR 450 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply

Thanks for any help :)

Go to userbenchmark.com and run the test. Link the results here after.

Dec 6, 2022

You can test this.

So during the test this is what i get View: https://imgur.com/a/wUSgqYN

Hey,

Yeah, so if your looking at your graph you see the clock speeds dipping at various points, potential because of VRM/CPU throttling.

My bad, I should have suggested you run HWInfo along side Cinebench. This will show you the clock speeds on the fly as the bench is running. You will be able to see exactly what speeds it's throttling to. The speeds may also go up and down depending on the load, and the thermal headroom. But with a limited cooler, and an average mobo, you will be limited, and your CPU will continue to behave likes this.

Dec 6, 2022
Go to userbenchmark.com and run the test. Link the results here after.

here you go
https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/57292429
UserBenchmarks: Game 69%, Desk 95%, Work 67%
CPU: Intel Core i9-9900K - 96.5%
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1660S (Super) - 68.9%
SSD: Kingston A400 120GB - 69.4%
HDD: WD Blue 1TB (2012) - 72%
RAM: Kingston HyperX DDR4 3200 C16 2x8GB - 73.5%
MBD: Asrock B365M-HDV

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2022
Hey,

Yeah, so if your looking at your graph you see the clock speeds dipping at various points, potential because of VRM/CPU throttling.

My bad, I should have suggested you run HWInfo along side Cinebench. This will show you the clock speeds on the fly as the bench is running. You will be able to see exactly what speeds it's throttling to. The speeds may also go up and down depending on the load, and the thermal headroom. But with a limited cooler, and an average mobo, you will be limited, and your CPU will continue to behave likes this.

Hi, tried that and it maxes at 3600 mhz, so the cpu is throttling?

here you go
https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/57292429
UserBenchmarks: Game 69%, Desk 95%, Work 67%
CPU: Intel Core i9-9900K - 96.5%
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1660S (Super) - 68.9%
SSD: Kingston A400 120GB - 69.4%
HDD: WD Blue 1TB (2012) - 72%
RAM: Kingston HyperX DDR4 3200 C16 2x8GB - 73.5%
MBD: Asrock B365M-HDV
What CPU cooler do you have?

Make sure RAM is installed in slots a2-b2. Enable XMP in BIOS.