[SOLVED] Some of the Symbols on my keyboard have swapped to different keys

Mxhawthy

Distinguished
Hi all.

This is a weird one.

Some of the keys on my keyboard have changed. Let me just say firstly that I have checked my Windows 10 Language and Keyboard settings. It's set to English (United Kingdom) which is where I am, and is what it should be set to.

Now for the details: (this is a little confusing to read, but please stick with me)

I've noticed that my @ symbol and my " (speech marks) symbol have swapped, so @ is now on the Number 2 key, and " is on the Apostrophe key. That's not how it was last week. I've also noticed that my 'Pound' currency symbol (as in, British Pound Sterling) is now the # symbol, and I cannot find any key to create the Pound symbol anymore, it seems to have completely gone. (hence why I'm having to type 'Pound' in this explanation rather than using the actual symbol 😢

Please can someone shed some light on what may have happened? I can't think of anything, I haven't fiddled with my Windows 10 settings. And I have had this keyboard for a good year or so, and it's been fine before now, so I'm pretty sure it's not a problem with the keyboard itself.

Many thanks

Max

Solution
I've noticed that my @ symbol and my " (speech marks) symbol have swapped, so @ is now on the Number 2 key, and " is on the Apostrophe key.
You must somehow have it set to "US english" because that is EXACTLY how the layout IS and is SUPPOSED to be for US keyboards by default.

If you have custom drivers for your keyboard, I'd reinstall the, and if you don't, I'd look to see if there are any available from the keyboard manufacturer.

Mxhawthy

Distinguished
Just double-checked that, and it's set to Use Languages List (Recommended). Languages list has got English (UK) as Number 1 in the list, and English (US) as number 2. I've removed English US just to be safe but it didn't fix the problem. What I don't understand is: I haven't touched any of these settings recently, so I'm thinking it must be a keyboard shortcut which changes the language somehow? I've not had any reason to change these options. No one else uses this PC.

I've noticed that my @ symbol and my " (speech marks) symbol have swapped, so @ is now on the Number 2 key, and " is on the Apostrophe key.
You must somehow have it set to "US english" because that is EXACTLY how the layout IS and is SUPPOSED to be for US keyboards by default.

If you have custom drivers for your keyboard, I'd reinstall the, and if you don't, I'd look to see if there are any available from the keyboard manufacturer.

Solution