Question Some old hard drives having errors?

Sep 6, 2022
So, I'm gonna try to be as descriptive as possible, since I'm new in this tech forum thing. I've had many disks over the years, and a whole bunch of them have started failing for one reason or another.
Recently, I bought a 3.5" SATA to USB adapter, and I've been checking all of them with Crystal Disk, and formatting them through diskpart if they have no data that interests me.
Two of them so far have worked correctly on the adapter, but when connecting them inside the case, have just failed completely, even causing bootloops (the one that I want fixed the most is a Toshiba 1TB DT01ACA100). What could be the cause of this? I'm thinking the SATA cables, possibly.
Another issue is a 1TB WDBlue (WD10JPVX - 22JC3T0) which weirdly, shows everything in the root directory except some system folders/files with a different icon than regular folders.
qQtGrxQ.png

Also, I had a Kingston SSD (model SA400S37, I believe) give me "The request failed due to a fatal device hardware error" when trying to format it through diskpart from the usb adapter.
I had another SSD with the same model, which worked perfectly fine. What could this error be/how could I try to fix it?
I still have some disks to check, particularly a Seagate Barracuda 2TB (ST2000DM006) which was my daily driver for years, but then started having bad sectors/errors. Will keep this updated for details, and will eventually post the full list of drives and what is wrong with each. Thanks in advance for reading, and for any help or advice.

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Could you please state the specs to your build? If the PSU in your build has been in service for a while, add the age of the unit as well. Often times power connectors on the PSU can be bad if the PSU being used isn't reliably built(or you have other devices hogging power).

Reactions: TheEternalPeanut
Sep 6, 2022
Full Specs
MOBO: Asrock B450M-HDV R4.0
CPU: Ryzen 5 2600 6-core, ~3.4GHz
RAM: 16GB 2666MHz, some HyperX I don't remember tbh
PSU: EVGA 400W, around 6~7 years
GPU: GTX 1050 2G OC (since you mentioned other devices hogging power, there's no power connector to this one)
Other drives:
C: WDC WDS480G1G0C (480GB WD Green, NVMe)
D: ST4000DM004 (4TB Seagate Barracuda, HDD)

I have been considering a PSU upgrade for a couple months, but money has been scarce and this one doesn't give me any problems, so I'm honestly in no rush

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
I should double down on the PSU comment, a bad quality PSU can also take out the rest of your components in a build. It's considered to be the heart of your system, so if it has a heartattack, it can lead to death. You're overdue a PSU, reliably built and has 550W at your entire system's disposal. Probably the reason you've ended up with so many dead drives.

As for your cloned drive, it's possible that the issue was with your primary(source) drive and it got cloned over.

Sep 6, 2022
There was no cloning involved here. I said "essentially a clone of the other one" meaning they were the same model of disk.
And except for one of the disks (the one that has the "fatal device error"), none of them are truly dead. All of them read perfectly fine, apart from the problems I mentioned. Even the old 2TB beast is formatting perfectly fine so far.

I'm guessing if I can make that baby work, that's what I'll use for a media disk, which was my original idea for testing all the drives.

Sep 6, 2022
Update, I've been able to make all the drives work, except for that one SSD which returns the same message ("The request failed due to a fatal device hardware error") no matter what I try. any ideas on that?

Plus, just in case anybody has the same problem of folders showing up with that weird symbol, that means it's associated with a domain, for some reason. I think.

TRENDING THREADS