News Some PCIe 5.0 SSDs Confined to 10 GBps; Others Hit 12.4 GBps

wifiburger

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2016
so nothing new here, just like PCIE4 when it started, crazy expensive for just 1-2Gb/s more vs cheaper PCIE3

have 3 PCIE4 nvme slots but honestly if I upgrade storage it will be for 2tb pcie3 cheap drives; don't care for 7Gb/s transfer speed

of course we get rushed / hacks for PCIE5 drives for them to boost sales of their expensive mobos

Reactions: shady28

shady28

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2007
Under normal use I still have a hard time telling the difference between my SATA SSD and the m.2 drive, only every once in a while where I'm transferring very large files (like > 50GB) can I note that the SATA drive slows that down.

That is pretty much to say, almost never. It's really not even worth the price difference for PCIe 4.0 x4 vs 3 x4 right now, much less 5 x4. Maybe in a couple of years.

Colif

Win 11 Master
bet you can't tell difference between booting off an pcie 3 & 5 nvme. It will still be pretty much instant.

when are they going to start scoring them on write speed and not read? they getting to point the gains are hard to notice.

Reactions: shady28
Under normal use I still have a hard time telling the difference between my SATA SSD and the m.2 drive, only every once in a while where I'm transferring very large files (like > 50GB) can I note that the SATA drive slows that down.

That is pretty much to say, almost never. It's really not even worth the price difference for PCIe 4.0 x4 vs 3 x4 right now, much less 5 x4. Maybe in a couple of years.

That is because the random IO is about the same. The sequential speeds don't really matter that much anymore as they are pretty fast for what most people do. Some game assets you can notice and if you work with really big video files etc.

Colif

Win 11 Master
The only time you notice a speed boost is if you go from hdd to nvme. Until games files get super big the time gained on an nvme over an ssd, won't be noticeable. Same applies between different generations of nvme. File sizes and or games need to get bigger to justify the speed.

Guess they can sit on laurels now and not need to introduce PCIe 6 for a while... oh wait: https://pcisig.com/pci-express-6.0-specification

escksu

Reputable
BANNED
Aug 8, 2019
Bah, it doesn't matter. Here is yet another limitation. Those seemingly amazing read/write speeds... If you are reading a file at 10GB/s, you need another location that's able to write at same speed too. You only have 1 pcie 5.0 nvme drive. Only the ram can read/write faster than ssd.

Only 1 ccasion where I could ever utilize full ssd speed.

1. Transferring huge files from nvme drive to another . Do you do that all day?? Nope!

jkflipflop98

Distinguished
Bah, it doesn't matter. Here is yet another limitation. Those seemingly amazing read/write speeds... If you are reading a file at 10GB/s, you need another location that's able to write at same speed too. You only have 1 pcie 5.0 nvme drive. Only the ram can read/write faster than ssd.

Only 1 ccasion where I could ever utilize full ssd speed.

1. Transferring huge files from nvme drive to another . Do you do that all day?? Nope!

Thankfully, 99% of the time you are indeed writing to the system ram.

Reactions: Sluggotg and jp7189

Trident1983

Reputable
Jun 16, 2020
X670E mobos are expensive. the PCI-e slots have to do 12.5Gpbs and all SSD slots on the mobo along with all the PCI-e x16 have to be pci-e 5.0 x16 speeds too on those slots and SATA and external I/O ports have to be used and filled out for me to even consider buying am5 as Asus will price their am5 mobo at 1299 USD vs am4 being only 799 USD as the second onboard chipset has to justify its existence with a massive 500 dollar price hike with this added connectivity for getting around the SSD and SATA PCI-e CPU lane sharing here otherwise it's a marketing gimmick here as Intel would sooner recreate a cynix co-processor baked into the mobo as intel and many others did this back in the 90s for it's coming z890 mobo here that can fully utilize all PCI-e lanes on your mobo along with any SATA connections and I/O ports like USB4 here as this is when if I was building a pc I would skip on these high-end consumer level mobo for a true server-grade mobo and serve grade CPU here and game on that instead going on price alone here, not to mention the psu requirements (discounting start-up and shutdown power spikes) and AIO cooling needed for the gpu's and cpus soon as I don't even think about usaing air cooling at anything over 150-watts on the CPU (AIO 420 radatior size is a must for the i9-13900k at 350-watts as thats server level psu needs on the cpu from the skylake-x days) or 380-watts on the GPU under constant full load as crypto mining can do this on both the cpu and gpu to test for any flaws in the mobo software and hardware like in the cpu and gpu and ram here along with testing how effivecte your cooling setups are in your pc machines.

Trident1983

Reputable
Jun 16, 2020
The only real way to test this type of thing for any mobo bottlenecking or CPU limitations with cache and ram included as there are no dedicated co-processors like they once had in the 1990s yet on AMD or intel mobos to buy that can fully use only cache (L1 through L3) and ram in fast storage swapping in virtual memory is forspoken or chia HDD crypto mining here as that app can slay your beefy consumer CPU rig being made for server level hardware. The only reason I say this is because there aren't many software apps that will fully utilize PCI- 5.0 ssds when they hit the market soon. Crystalmark is ok but chia mining on an SSD will expose just how much it's truly worth it to buy a PCI-e 5.0 SSD or wait for PCI-e gen 7 due out in 2025 vs gen 4 ssds which will get very cheap by next year with 8TB gen 4 ssds being 999 USD and gen 3 8TB ssds being 499 USD if I had to guess on how far SSD prices will drop here if bill bates and Microsoft want to kill older HDDs based on SATA connectors here or not.

Chargino

Commendable
Dec 24, 2019
Read/write speeds are worthless for my needs. I need high IOPs at low queue depths. Until this tech starts making it to the consumer, I'm underwhelmed.

TRENDING THREADS