[SOLVED] Some programs won't open in windows 10 1909

Nov 22, 2019
Hi guys,

I am having some issues with some programs that would just not open after a fresh install of Windows 10 1909 on a new computer. The programs work fine in windows 1903 but for the life of me, I cannot figure out what is going on.

If I boot in safe mode, the program opens.

If i run it in sandboxie, it opens too.

I tried disabling my antivirus (Eset Smart Security(, nothing. Looked around windows defender too, but couldn't find anything.

Any help would be appreciated!

I don't know what else to do.

Solution
Ok, the guys at Tableau helped me with the issue.

For anyone that is interested, here is the issue and how to fix.

Published: 19 Aug 2019
Last Modified Date: 25 Nov 2019
Issue
Unable to launch Tableau Desktop (or Tableau Reader). You may notice that the product does not start when double clicking on its icon and no error message appears.
Environment
Tableau Desktop (or Tableau Reader) 2018.3 or newer
Windows
AMD Ryzen 9 3000 Series processor
Resolution
Try one of the following options:
Option 1
Upgrade to 2019.1.8, 2019.2.4 or 2019.3.1. For more information on current releases, see Upgrade Tableau Desktop and Desktop Upgrade.
Option 2
Work with your IT team to run...
Nov 22, 2019
Any error indications?

What other programs do this?

No errors at all, it just doesn't open.
This particular one I just double click it, the Activation licensing service that it uses, open as a background app in task manager, but the actual program doesn't start.

I have another one that a friend developed, it opens as a background app, but doesn't open as an actual app.

If I boot in safe mode, all of them work fine, or run them in Sandboxie.

Nov 22, 2019
Ok, the guys at Tableau helped me with the issue.

For anyone that is interested, here is the issue and how to fix.

Published: 19 Aug 2019
Last Modified Date: 25 Nov 2019
Issue
Unable to launch Tableau Desktop (or Tableau Reader). You may notice that the product does not start when double clicking on its icon and no error message appears.
Environment
Tableau Desktop (or Tableau Reader) 2018.3 or newer
Windows
AMD Ryzen 9 3000 Series processor
Resolution
Try one of the following options:
Option 1
Upgrade to 2019.1.8, 2019.2.4 or 2019.3.1. For more information on current releases, see Upgrade Tableau Desktop and Desktop Upgrade.
Option 2
Work with your IT team to run Tableau Desktop with a parameter:
Restart your PC to make sure all Tableau Desktop instances are closed.
Right-click on the shortcut icon of Tableau Desktop and navigate to Properties.
Under the Shortcut tab, add -DThreadTimeApi=GetThreadTimes at the end of the Target field. e.g.:
"C:\Program Files\Tableau\Tableau 2019.3\bin\tableau.exe" -DThreadTimeApi=GetThreadTimes
Press OK to close the Properties screen.
Double-click the shortcut icon to start Tableau Desktop.

Cause
This behaviour is related to Issue ID 954245 which is currently under investigation. Tableau Desktop (or Tableau Reader) stops working on a computer equipped with AMD Ryzen CPU.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS