Some questions about building a pc from a first timer

CapnShanty

Commendable
Nov 16, 2016
This is my proposed build:
http://pcpartpicker.com/list/B9DBTH
And this is me as a consumer:
I play a wide variety of games, from racing games to 4X, so a lot of ram and a good processor are essential. I just don't want stutter or anything like that when playing a big 4X with a bunch of units on screen.
I'm not interested in overclocking abilities, never done it never looked up why I should :p
I plan on getting VR at some point.
I don't really care if something runs at a crisp 60 fps with no drops on super amazing settings, 60 at mid-range is more than fine with me, but since I'd like my computer to be relevant for like 5 years I want the best graphics card probably, which is why I went with the 1070, I'd heard the Titan X was more for GPU intensive calculations than graphics (which I do in my job, but that's not what this is about lol).

I also see people having a lot of problems with new graphics cards on games (at least on steam...), when my current graphics card chugs along no problem... can I like turn on my emulator and play old N64 games and play middle 2000s RTSs and new random indie games and the latest and greatest FPS with the 1070? (Granted I recognize each game is optimized differently, but I'm more asking if people have tended to notice that this card screws up more frequently)

Also the fan says 24 db which if memory serves is very quiet, but will it actually keep everything that needs to be cooled cool?

I'm probably doing something INCREDIBLY stupid since I've never built a pc before. I hope it's not that hard because if something can be screwed up I probably will (like I hope installing a BIOS (if you have to do that I dunno) is easy...)

Solution
First off -- The 1070 should be more than enough for a 1080p or even 1440p display. The i7-6700k may even be overkill for your needs, but maybe you'll use it. True, 4X games are more CPU/Memory dependent. A i5-6600K would probably also suite your needs. If you don't want to overclock, you could go with a i5-6500 and ditch the water cooler.

The Titan X is indeed faster than a 1070, but you're getting 70% of the performance for like 30% of the price (those numbers are probably way off, going by memory).

Yes new cards have issues with drivers, as do new games. Either way, I wouldn't make it a legitimate concern.

The GTX 1000 series is incredibly power efficient, cool and quiet. Yes, the stock fan will be fine. The fan from your...

Rapajez

Distinguished
First off -- The 1070 should be more than enough for a 1080p or even 1440p display. The i7-6700k may even be overkill for your needs, but maybe you'll use it. True, 4X games are more CPU/Memory dependent. A i5-6600K would probably also suite your needs. If you don't want to overclock, you could go with a i5-6500 and ditch the water cooler.

The Titan X is indeed faster than a 1070, but you're getting 70% of the performance for like 30% of the price (those numbers are probably way off, going by memory).

Yes new cards have issues with drivers, as do new games. Either way, I wouldn't make it a legitimate concern.

The GTX 1000 series is incredibly power efficient, cool and quiet. Yes, the stock fan will be fine. The fan from your radiator will actually be much louder.

In general, your build is fine, but a few issues:

1. With a build that expensive, you don't want a $80 1440 x 900 monitor. It's the thing you'll be staring at. Go at least 1080p, 1440p, ultra-widescreen, IPS, 144Hz, or something. Downgrade the i7 to an i5-6600k if you need some wiggle room.

2. Get Windows 10. Win 8 is less efficient, and more importantly, won't support the latest DirectX.

3. You don't need a network card, unless the motherboard's connection is not sufficient for your needs.

4. You don't need 850W, and the price on that Corsair isn't great. You might as well get a modular PSU in that pricerange. Check out something like this. http://pcpartpicker.com/product/9q4NnQ/evga-power-supply-220g20650y1

5. The cooler comes with thermal paste. You don't need to buy that.

Solution
same price and a lot lot lot better performance

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/GQkF4C
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/GQkF4C/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($328.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG H5 Universal 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($46.88 @ OutletPC)
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste ($6.88 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock Z170 Extreme4 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: GeIL EVO POTENZA 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($76.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($74.99 @ B&H)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($72.88 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 8GB G1 Gaming Video Card ($598.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: NZXT S340 (Black/Red) ATX Mid Tower Case ($66.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($73.98 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home Full 32/64-bit ($119.99 @ B&H)
Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24.0" 144Hz Monitor ($219.99 @ Best Buy)
Total: $1807.54
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-11-16 17:53 EST-0500

KeelinTy

Reputable
Nov 20, 2014
The build is pretty good. Only a few questions and suggestions

Why the NZXT Phantom? I personally think the S340 looks much better and its a bit cheaper.

Why a 19.1 inch display? Thats pretty small imo. I have 22 inch displays and they are small to me. But having 4 of them makes up for it.

Do you really need the Intel Network Adapter? The ethernet on motherboards works pretty decent.

If you really want to max most games and get a constant 60fps, I would go for a 1080. Especially since you plan on VR. The titan X pascal is a great card but its not for the majority of consumers due to its price. Its mainly for extremists or people who use them for computations.

Also I would grab a better power supply. A 500-600watt psu from a better brand will work well. I would suggest something from corsair as a TX psu since those are pretty good.

Overclocking is just free performance at the cost of more heat and more power draw. I have my 4790K overclocked to 5ghz and its much better with rendering.

With cooling, everything looks good. Keep the stock fans or get SP120s for the radiator on the cooler and use the AF120 as case fans to have great airflow

The build looks good