some questions about gpu clocks

shayanabc

Reputable
Sep 5, 2014
hi guys

So a couple of days ago i started monitoring my temps using gpu-z.Then i saw some weird things,
When i play a game or use furmark my gpu doesnt use its full core clock its only at like 850-950 instead of the 1030mhz that i have. It only gets to 1030 when i set furmark to 8x msaa and even then it doesnt hit it all the time. Also while gaming and even while not gaming my memory clock keeps jumping from 150 to 1400 mhz, idk why this is happening??? my gpu temps never go over 65° celcius and my cpu doesnt go higher then that either.

Im using a sapphire r9 290 vapor-x OC
intel i7 4790k proccesor
16gb of vengeance lp ddr3 ram
coolermaster750w plus bronze psu
msi z97-g43 motherboard

The clock frequency is being increased or decreased as needed.

It's guided by a few factors including TEMPERATURE so in Furmark the GPU is heavily used which requires the frequency to be throttled down to compensate.

While not gaming there may be some temporary thing that causes the GPU to jump to its maximum frequency but then that's been taken care of thus it returns to its low frequency to save power.

I'm not sure why you'd be throttled down with the GPU at only 65degC though so either something is not being reported correctly or there's some other information we're missing but it does sound NORMAL.

shayanabc

Reputable
Sep 5, 2014
Okay so what you are trying to say is that its not my gpu throttling down, its just using how much it needs? But why would it not use all its bandwidth when i have lower then 60 fps??