Some questions about hard drives

bojan_vladek

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2015
Hello people. I have 4 questions about hard drives.

But first, here's the thing. I bought a new external hard drive. The old one had started making weird noises and so I ran a test on its performance (HD Tune) and it turns out the drive is dying. So I freaked out and bought a new one to save the entire stuff in it (436 gb video games 40gb music, 700 gb movies).

Right now I am copying the data and I have discovered that there are corrupted parts (if not too much). My questions might be irrational forgive me if so:

1- Will the corruption of the old drive (corrupted data blocks or whatever) spread to the new drive and corrupt it too (like when I copy a corrupted song or something)? Or is it the 'files' that are corrupted, thus meaning my new drive is a safe haven now?

2- Some songs are not corrupted but they definitely sound different. So, are they partially corrupted? I was able to copy them. But I'm pretty sure they didn't use to sound the way they do now.

3- Will formatting the old drive clear the corrupted segments? ( I want the damn thing back :( )

4- Will the new drive too get corrupted eventually? Why does this happen? Is there a way to prevent it?

Thanks already

~vladic

Solution
from my personal experiene,
1 it (corruption) will just affect those particular files, not spread ... unless it's from a virus (scan the drive)
2 possibly, define different
3 again possible, they may get recovered, but the segments might have physical damage
4 all hdd's fail eventually sadly

vagrantsoul

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2010
from my personal experiene,
1 it (corruption) will just affect those particular files, not spread ... unless it's from a virus (scan the drive)
2 possibly, define different
3 again possible, they may get recovered, but the segments might have physical damage
4 all hdd's fail eventually sadly

Solution

kittle

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2005

Unless you have a virus, the corruption wont "spread". but when you copy the already corrupted files they may fail, or copy with bad data. When you find these, its best to delete and re-download from the source.

Unless you are using a different music player it should sound exactly the same. You can always try playing the same song from your old drive to compare.

Maybe.. maybe not. At best it will buy you some more time before the more segments get corrupted. At worst, the drive will stop working an you will have a new doorstop. Best advice is to copy ALL your data off it and then recycle.

All drives fail eventually due to wear and tear, handling, power issues, and environment (hot/cold). Some fail quickly (within days) -- thats what a warranty/RMA is for. Others will take years to fail -- thats what a savings account and backups are for. I have had drives fail after a few months. But I have other drives that still work fine after 10-15 years.

There are two types of "corruption"
Logical and physical.
Physically, a hard drive will use a spare sector if it can't properly write to a given sector.
In time, all the spares can get used up and performance suffers along the way.
The hard drive vendor will have a utility that will scan the drive and attempt to recover bad sectors. This is a destructive process.
This is not the same as windows initializing the drive; it may take hours.

Sometimes, you can get corruption logically.
For example a catalog pointer may not get updated in sync with an update.
A power failure might do this.
Virus or malware can also damage files.

The best way to keep a hard drive good is to not let it get too hot.
Many start/stop cycles can also reduce longevity.

bojan_vladek

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2015
Thanks for all the info guys. I love this forum. Always finding answers from people willing to help.

Weird thing is, this drive is maybe 3 years old or less. It's My Book Studio 2TB from WD. Supposed to be good stuff. Anyway, I used it's capacity nicely and used it quite often too. I think it's just that the drive got old. It's just that my old-old HDDs are still running. They're like 6 years old or something now. Not a dent or anything. Not corruption of any kind. Funny something like this happens to a WD.

So I'll redownload the corrupted stuff.
I'll format the drive and see what happens.
I'll scan the lot while I'm at it.

Thanks a lot guys

~vladic