[SOLVED] Some questions about this motherboard

Furzumz

Reputable
Is this board sufficient for a 3900x? Is the VRM gonna cook like electronic bacon? Not doing any manual overclocking, only overclocking going on is the "automatic" OC enabled by default

Also how can I tell if it needs a bios update for a 3900x to work? I don't have a separate spare processor on hand in such a event

On a side note I understand its on the "budget end" but I'm about $1,400 in the hole on a computer build that should of been ~$750 due to all the things I've had to replace from my own incompetence. If I could afford a high end mobo I'd go for it but my wallet is already trying to murder me in my sleep

Specs if needed:
CPU: Ryzen 9 3900x
GPU: 2070 Super
RAM: 2x8 16GB DDR4
PSU: Super Flower Leadex 3 Gold 750w
Regrets: Many

Solution
Is this board sufficient for a 3900x? Is the VRM gonna cook like electronic bacon? Not doing any manual overclocking, only overclocking going on is the "automatic" OC enabled by default

Also how can I tell if it needs a bios update for a 3900x to work? I don't have a separate spare processor on hand in such a event

On a side note I understand its on the "budget end" but I'm about $1,400 in the hole on a computer build that should of been ~$750 due to all the things I've had to replace from my own incompetence. If I could afford a high end mobo I'd go for it but my wallet is already trying to murder me in my sleep

Specs if needed:
PSU: Super Flower Leadex 3 Gold 750w...

Specs if needed:
PSU: Super Flower Leadex 3 Gold 750w
Regrets: Many
That board has a VRM with 12 phases 50A DrMOS power stages that are very efficient and should run very cool. It is capable of providing over 500A of current delivery to the CPU cores, way more than enough for a 3900X. Desireable, though, to assure cool running for stable power delivery even though not drawing half that much current in extreme workloads, overclocked.

They're also sitting under a fairly massively finned heatsink making them even cooler. It should have no problem running even a 5950X and overclock it.

B550 boards should all come ready for a Ryzen 3000 processor out-of-the-box. But it will need a BIOS update to bring it up to current AGESA and mitigate a number of issues. Be sure to follow notes and instructions on the Asrock support site page.

I'm not sure what you're expectation would be of a 'high end' AM4 motherboard, but this one is as close to high end as most anyone will ever need.

Last edited:
Reactions: Furzumz
Solution