[SOLVED] Some Questions (Bios, PSU)

• Thread starter Deleted member 2729451
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 2729451

I have a Ryzen 5 2600 6core I am wanting to upgrade to a Ryzen 7 3700X . I know I might sound dumb for asking but I just want to make sure I do this correctly because I dont want to waste money n stuff. My Motherboard is a B450M Bazooka V2 Im pretty sure its 1 and 2 gen compatible.

So with all this being said If I do a bios update would it let me use the new cpu?

Can I use any usb to do this? I was told it needed to be FAT32 thats all

I have found the website I download the bios update from (https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/B450M-BAZOOKA-V2 ) is this the correct place to get it from and do I get the latest one?

I also had a question about my PSU, I have a Corsair 550wat Bronze cert non-mod (CP-9020121-NA) I did some guessing and figured It would stay below 550 with the new cpu, is this true? because I have a RTX 2070 SUPER 8G if you need all specs let me know.

Sorry about this, I just like to make sure im doing the right thing, I have spent WAY to much money on pc stuff to have anything going wrong, and I have never done a bios update before, just want to make sure im on the right track. Thanks in advance for any help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
As long as you have BIOS version 7A38vP5 or newer installed, it will support the Ryzen 3000 series CPUs including the 3700x.

Be aware however, that after updating to that version, or newer, you will lose support for the following models due to the limitations of the BIOS ROM size:

Bristol ridge: Athlon x4 970/950/940, A12-9800/9800E, A10-9700/9700E, A8-9600, A6-9550/9500/9500E

Otherwise, you are good to go in that regard. I would simply update to version 7A38vPB located here: https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/B450M-BAZOOKA-V2#down-bios

This explains how to update once you've downloaded the correct file and you'll need to unzip it into it's own folder on a flash drive.

Your CX550 should be fine with...
As long as you have BIOS version 7A38vP5 or newer installed, it will support the Ryzen 3000 series CPUs including the 3700x.

Be aware however, that after updating to that version, or newer, you will lose support for the following models due to the limitations of the BIOS ROM size:

Bristol ridge: Athlon x4 970/950/940, A12-9800/9800E, A10-9700/9700E, A8-9600, A6-9550/9500/9500E

Otherwise, you are good to go in that regard. I would simply update to version 7A38vPB located here: https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/B450M-BAZOOKA-V2#down-bios

This explains how to update once you've downloaded the correct file and you'll need to unzip it into it's own folder on a flash drive.

Your CX550 should be fine with that graphics card and the 3700x. It's not a great PSU, but it's not a bad one either.

Solution
D

Deleted member 2729451

Your CX550 should be fine with that graphics card and the 3700x. It's not a great PSU, but it's not a bad one either.
Thank you so much! Im gonna check my current Bios version to see if I need to.

"Be aware however, that after updating to that version, or newer, you will lose support for the following models due to the limitations of the BIOS ROM size:"

What do you mean by this? Im not the best if the more in deep tech stuff

D

Deleted member 2729451

unknown.png

Will I need to do a bios update? Im not sure what to look for here

Use THIS BIOS image, along with the instructions in the video I linked you to. If you are unsure about what you are doing, don't do it until you feel confident. There are additional videos on updating the MSI BIOS using Mflash that you can watch and learn from until you feel confident you know what to do. That is the important thing. KNOW what you are doing, don't guess. Guessing or hoping for the best just causes problems. Getting yourself fully educated about the process, ANY process for something new to you, is always a good idea in order to avoid problems and mistakes.

Latest BIOS version for your board: https://download.msi.com/bos_exe/mb/7A38vPB.zip

Okay, thank you for all your help! Can the usb I use be any usb? Just need to make sure I format it before I began?
No. It needs to be a USB flash drive and it you need to follow the instructions in the video I posted to prepare the drive for use with the BIOS image file.

Do not use any flash drive that is questionable or not fit for the job. Using a poorly working drive will only result in a lot of crying and screaming later on. Use a known good flash drive only.

D

Deleted member 2729451

No. It needs to be a USB flash drive and it you need to follow the instructions in the video I posted to prepare the drive for use with the BIOS image file.
Okay, thank you for all your help, I will check out the video, from what I seen, it seems like I format a usb, put it into the root of the usb, eject when Im done, and restart, once that happens I press the key to get into bios, find Mflash and pretty much the video shows it. I feel like I know what I am doing, I just dont want to mess anything, up. I spent to much money to mess anything up. After bios is done Im set to turn off pc and put new CPU in?

Again, thanks again for all of your help, I learned stuff today because of you!