Some quick advice please!

zombiebait

Honorable
Nov 12, 2013
Hey there, I'm terribly sorry if this is the wrong forum for this. I'm building my first gaming desktop and I have everything ordered for the tower. *Please note that I am a Canadian customer.

First, the monitor I'm looking at is the Asus VS238H-P. I can get one for $139 after rebate, seems like a good deal. Thoughts?

Second, should I get windows 7 or 8? I found win 7 for about $70 but the cheapest I've seen win 8 is around $90. Is windows 8 worth $20 more?

Third, I'm looking for advice on a keyboard and mouse. Nothing too crazy, just comfortable and reliable. I would really like wireless for both. Something good for gaming but affordable. Thanks in advance!

Solution
G
It depends on whether or not you want to deal with rebate (I know a lot of people who have been frustrated with this process).
Regarding the brand, I love Asus. I actually just ordered an Asus VS247H-P monitor last night.

It's up to you, I don't want to force my opinion on you but I love Windows 8.1 (bought Windows 8 OEM and upgraded to 8.1 for free). I, like yourself, was torn between 7 and 8 but ultimately just decided to go with 8. I knew it was the newer OS, so why not? I've had two computers, each with Win7 or Win8 so I've experienced both operating systems. Plus 8.1 supposedly fixed most things that annoyed people. If you're on an extremely tight budget, there's nothing wrong with Windows 7 either. It's a great OS.

What's your...
G

It depends on whether or not you want to deal with rebate (I know a lot of people who have been frustrated with this process).
Regarding the brand, I love Asus. I actually just ordered an Asus VS247H-P monitor last night.

It's up to you, I don't want to force my opinion on you but I love Windows 8.1 (bought Windows 8 OEM and upgraded to 8.1 for free). I, like yourself, was torn between 7 and 8 but ultimately just decided to go with 8. I knew it was the newer OS, so why not? I've had two computers, each with Win7 or Win8 so I've experienced both operating systems. Plus 8.1 supposedly fixed most things that annoyed people. If you're on an extremely tight budget, there's nothing wrong with Windows 7 either. It's a great OS.

What's your budget on the keyboard or mouse? Personally, I got a Steelseries Merc Stealth Gaming keyboard for ~$35 and I just ordered a E-3lue Cobra EMS109BK High Precision Gaming Mouse with Side Control 1600dpi for ~$7.
You can maybe browse around on Amazon or something and look at the reviews for keyboards/mouses after filtering your preferences.

Solution

zombiebait

Honorable
Nov 12, 2013

Budget for mouse+keyboard is ~$70 for both. If I can find something good for less that's perfect. The monitor is $159 before the rebate, still a pretty good deal.

G

That is definitely a good deal on the monitor, I say why not take the shot!

For keyboard/mouse, I found this combo (based on reviews/price):
http://www.amazon.ca/Logitech-920-002836-Wireless-Desktop-Keyboard/dp/B003VAGXZC/ref=sr_1_18?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1384418385&sr=1-18&keywords=wireless+mouse

zombiebait

Honorable
Nov 12, 2013

Well alright! Thank you very much for your help!

G

No problem!

The monitor is a great deal! I'd stay with Win7 if I were you though.