Some ram memory sticks cause laptop to shut down after a few seconds

marcusareillius

Prominent
Jan 18, 2019
I have had a Dell Latitude E5430 non-vPro laptop for about 4 years which had a Hynix 4GB 2Rx8 PC3-10600S-09-10-F2 & Hynix 4GB 2Rx8 PC3-12800S-11-11-F3 memory stick the whole time (Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3320M CPU @2.60GHz, 2601MHz, 2 cores, 4 logical processors Processor, Dell Inc. A03 03/06/2012 BIOS Version & Version 2.7 SMBIOS).

I was running an antivirus scan overnight and when I checked it in the morning the computer was dead. When I tried to power on the laptop, a few lights flashed, the fan and HDD came on briefly, and after a few seconds after pressing the power button everything shut down abruptly.

After trying multiple things like checking CMOS battery, power supply, a different HDD, fan, I eventually got it to boot normally by swapping out the 2 x 4GB ram sticks for 1 old 2GB 2Rx8 PC3-10600S-09-10-F2 ram stick.
I tried each of the 2 x 4GB sticks on their own in both slots and the same shutdown thing happened every time.

I ordered 2 x Micron 4GB 1Rx8 PC3L-12800S-11-11-B2 memory sticks and tried each of them in the 2 slots and the same shutdown thing was still happening.
I tried to boot again with the old 2GB ram stick and it booted fine again.

Then I tried each of the initial 4GB ram sticks individually along with the old 2GB stick to try and run diagnostics on it but the same shutting down thing happened.

Can someone help me resolve this issue please?

Solution
use you service tag and check there is bios update on this one also for ram did you try to use the second slot only to test them you might need to do a memtest .

marcusareillius

Prominent
Jan 18, 2019
Hi scout_03,
Thank you for the quick input.

I was not able to run the memory check on the 4GB ram as any time it was inserted the same shutdown issue happened and I never got to the BIOS menu.
I did run memory diagnostics on both slots with the 2GB ram, just in case it picked up an issue with the slots or something, but it was fine both times.

I then ran a BIOS update and updated the BIOS from V03 to V21. This solved the problem.
Both the 2 x original 4GB ram sticks and the 2 x new 4GB ram sticks are working good now. I even ran a memory diagnostics on the 2 x original 4GB ram sticks and there were no errors.
I am using the 2 new ram sticks now as they are a better match than the 2 old ones and the laptop is working well.

Thank you very much for your help.
Do you know why the original 2 x 4GB ram sticks were working fine in the old BIOS V03 a week ago, then all of a sudden it stopped working?