Asus DVD-RW 24x
USB devices : webcam , speakers , wireless kb+m
2nd system:
CPU AMD A8-5500 (65w) with Radeon HD Graphics
mainboard Gygabite F2A55M-HD2
MEMORY 2 X 4GB DDR3
DVD-RW 24X'
USB devices : webcam , speakers , kbrd+mouse

I found 2 options: Corsair CV550, 80+ Bronze, 550W and Corsair CV650 80 Plus Bronze 650W.
Which you recommend and why ?
Or you think i should try other?
Thank you!

Solution
Thank you for your time :)
You think like a pro because u know whats inside that thing.
But most of people are not pro and they simply think : two big brands and same price for a 5 years 650w or a 5 years 450w. The rational choice is also simple : the 650w of course.
Here is bad marketing from Corsair of course and a big plus for the Gigabyte's marketing team.
I would buy the cv650 Corsair if it has also 5 years guarantee.

I have a sneaky feeling the gigabyte is probably better than the cv650, spec wise and component wise at least it looks it.

It is only a 'feeling' though.

But yes you're right, I'm recommending the cx450 simply bwacuse I absolutely know what's inside it and I know its a solid unit .

I'd love someone to...
The cv650 is better, not simply because its 100w bigger but because its an entirely different more modern platform internally.

However a corsair cx450 would be better than either because its better quality.

Are those systems you are considering buying??

The intel i7 system is way way better if so.

Cant have too big a psu (within reason)
A system will only draw what it needs, those systems are both sub 200w.

Which is why I said an cx450 would be a better choice than either simply because its better quality.

The cv650 is better quality than the cv550, ignore the actual wattage of the unit, its irrelevant.

adyyy7

Prominent
Aug 14, 2020
The PSU world is pretty weird from what i read...
You say cv650 is good.
But vs650 is better by price and specs.
But vs650 is manufactured by HEC , which is crap...so...im confused....
Also it says about vs650 "The VS line consists of six non-modular units, with capacities ranging from 400W to 650W, which are manufactured by HEC. They are based on an older design in order to keep the production cost as low as possible "
From 400W means? what if my system needs only 300W or less?

Last edited:
The PSU world is pretty weird from what i read...
You say cv650 is good.
But vs650 is better by price and specs.
But vs650 is manufactured by HEC , which is crap...so...im confused....
Also it says about vs650 "The VS line consists of six non-modular units, with capacities ranging from 400W to 650W, which are manufactured by HEC. They are based on an older design in order to keep the production cost as low as possible "
From 400W means? what if my system needs only 300W or less?

It's not just about wattage when it comes to psu's.

Its also about internal component quality, stability of voltage and power regulation.

The vs series are based on a design thats been around since before 2010, as are the cv series.
Apart from the cv650 which is an entirely different and more modern design.
I didnt say the cv 650 is 'good', I said it's better than the others.

And yes all those vs/cv are budget and fairly low end models, HEC aren't a terrible manufacture, just a budget one.

They make some dire units but also some acceptable ones.

Ignore the fact the cv650 has twice the wattage needed for your system, youre system will only draw the power it needs.

Meaning a oversized psu will be running half capacity, which means less strain, lower temperatures and likely a longer lifespan.

When buying a lowend/budget psu if its your only option I would absolutely recimmend oversizing it capacity wise for these reasons.

The cx450 though would still be better, simply because its a lot better quality .

Where are you buying from? There may be other options.

Reactions: adyyy7

adyyy7

Prominent
Aug 14, 2020
Here i get 5 years for the 650w Gigabyte too. So... should i buy it? i read about it and they say it is made with japanese parts and taiwanese condensators...sounds good... do u know other things about it?

The gigabyte looks 'alright'.
It does have jap caps, its made by a fairly unknown chinese manufacturer.
I think the corsair cx is a safer bet personally, the gigabyte is 'probably' worth taking a punt on.
Ive not heard any horror stories about it, it may actually be decent but its a fairly new model so who knows.

At the same price I would still take the corsair.

Reactions: adyyy7

adyyy7

Prominent
Aug 14, 2020
But most of people are not pro and they simply think : two big brands and same price for a 5 years 650w or a 5 years 450w. The rational choice is also simple : the 650w of course.
Here is bad marketing from Corsair of course and a big plus for the Gigabyte's marketing team.

I have a sneaky feeling the gigabyte is probably better than the cv650, spec wise and component wise at least it looks it.

It is only a 'feeling' though.

But yes you're right, I'm recommending the cx450 simply bwacuse I absolutely know what's inside it and I know its a solid unit .

I'd love someone to do a proper stripdown and testing of the gigabyte unit but it's not happened yet because it's fairly new and also has a fairly limited market internationally.

I wouldn't say corsair have failed at marketing, you kind of know at the very least with corsair that you're getting a proper wattage rating and they're at least safe to use even on the budget units.

Solution

adyyy7

Prominent
Aug 14, 2020
The fact is that u get 5 years for Gigabyte650 and only 2-3 for the Corsair650 at the same price. So they did a better job on marketing. And behind this can be better quality if they afford to give a 5 years guarantee. They are not a big brand in PSU yet and they try to become one by selling quality products.
We can say is like samsung and huawei/xiaomi on phones. Samsung is a big brand and they sell anything with or without quality just because is samsung. Others 2 have to offer quality products to be able to sell them.

The fact is that u get 5 years for Gigabyte650 and only 2-3 for the Corsair650 at the same price. So they did a better job on marketing. And behind this can be better quality if they afford to give a 5 years guarantee. They are not a big brand in PSU yet and they try to become one by selling quality products.
We can say is like samsung and huawei/xiaomi on phones. Samsung is a big brand and they sell anything with or without quality just because is samsung. Others 2 have to offer quality products to be able to sell them.

Not a good comparison though, Ive ownes huawei/honor for my last 3 phones.

Mainly because they are well reviewed and the internal spec is known.
Psu's are a totally different kettle of fish.

You're relying on them to power more expensive components .