Question Some RMx Questions

DefinitelyNotTom

Respectable
Jul 20, 2017
I have a RM550X I haven't opened.

I know people say I cans till use it with the meg x570 ACE mobo, and just would have one 8-pin cpu connector instead of two.

However, i'm still tempted to get a different psu and the RM750X is on sale for $89.99 after rebate. Would give me an extra 200 watts to play around with in the future if I ever need more wattage, as well.

1. thoughts?
  2. my RMX is the one from before the 2018 one. Is there any meaningful difference, good or bad, between the original RM550X and the 2018 RM550X, where I'll know its worth when selling it?

The 550w is fine for your mobo. But knowing the other components might help determine if 750 is needed.

I would never advise to go extra 'just because', with regard to having 200w headroom. It's possible it's just not needed.

You are right though the 750w does have two CPU 8 pin outs, which isn't really needed now, but could be in a future build. Does no harm having it, if you are willing to part with the cash. The 2018 RMX's are pretty darn good.

Here's jonny's review of the 750w: https://www.jonnyguru.com/blog/2018/05/08/corsair-rm750x-2018-750w-power-supply/2/

DefinitelyNotTom

Respectable
Jul 20, 2017
The 550w is fine for your mobo. But knowing the other components might help determine if 750 is needed.

I would never advise to go extra 'just because', with regard to having 200w headroom. It's possible it's just not needed.

You are right though the 750w does have two CPU 8 pin outs, which isn't really needed now, but could be in a future build. Does no harm having it, if you are willing to part with the cash. The 2018 RMX's are pretty darn good.

Here's jonny's review of the 750w: https://www.jonnyguru.com/blog/2018/05/08/corsair-rm750x-2018-750w-power-supply/2/
On my current build I definitely don't "need" more than 550w. Here is my build: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/VdhD27

I am not 100% sure I picked the right gpu when adding on there, but it's one of the evga 1070 ti ones.

So it all comes down to whether everyone is sure that buildzoid and others are correct that there is no harm in only using 1 8=pin and also how likely it would be that down the line I'd want something that would require that extra 200 watts.

I'll say this, though… I do no not NOT plan to upgrade the build for quite a few years. I have made do with a prebuilt low end pc for like 6 years now. That is how infrequently I want something new. So most LIKELY when I want a nerw cpu etc.... it will be so far from now that the whole build would about need to be redone anyway.

edit: I am also going to get a third ssd to take advantage of this mobo being one of the few that can run 3 at 3.0x4 plus still do the gpu at x16.

NOTE: looking at those prices reminds me how badly it turned out buying parts a little t a time over 2 years. Even if the gpu price were there and the psu price, that is nowhere near what I have spent, EVEN WITH tons of good deals.

Actually that really helps.

So for your PSU, i'd actually go a little higher to start with. Maybe 600-650.

Ryzen 3900x consumes about 145w at stock settings, if you use the auto OC feature that bumps up to 170w. The gtx 1070ti stock is about 180w and close to 200w boost speeds. This will be even more for a 3rd party version like an SC/SSC/OC edition.

Whilst even factoring that in, your actual draw will still be below 500w total. I estimate, about 460w (including peripherals). So you still have headroom, but for me I'd want a little more. If you were to OC both CPU and GPU, you'd definitely touch 500w. You may not want to OC (it can give a little more longevity in a system, and keep it going relevance wise for a little longer), so that may not be a consideration for you. Just something to consider.

I'm sure the RM550X will do fine. But a decent 650 wold give you plenty of coverage too.

With that said, given the 750w is available at that price, it's really great value for a really quality PSU. I'd just rule everything else out and go for it, for peace of mind.

IMO pull the trigger. Keep the 550w as a back up, or maybe put into a second system that you can build around some BF deals that may be available.

DefinitelyNotTom

Respectable
Jul 20, 2017
Actually that really helps.

So for your PSU, i'd actually go a little higher to start with. Maybe 600-650.

Ryzen 3900x consumes about 145w at stock settings, if you use the auto OC feature that bumps up to 170w. The gtx 1070ti stock is about 180w and close to 200w boost speeds. This will be even more for a 3rd party version like an SC/SSC/OC edition.

Whilst even factoring that in, your actual draw will still be below 500w total. I estimate, about 460w (including peripherals). So you still have headroom, but for me I'd want a little more. If you were to OC both CPU and GPU, you'd definitely touch 500w. You may not want to OC (it can give a little more longevity in a system, and keep it going relevance wise for a little longer), so that may not be a consideration for you. Just something to consider.

I'm sure the RM550X will do fine. But a decent 650 wold give you plenty of coverage too.

With that said, given the 750w is available at that price, it's really great value for a really quality PSU. I'd just rule everything else out and go for it, for peace of mind.

IMO pull the trigger. Keep the 550w as a back up, or maybe put into a second system that you can build around some BF deals that may be available.
I'm not planning to OC. One problem with the 600-650 range is the RM650X still doesn't have 2 8-pins, the RM650 (no x) does, but someone said it's not as good of quality, and then I see so many people saying there are issues with some other brands and models.

So I really am not sure what I will do. I likely won't do another build into this one has issues. ebay fees make it where I'd not get a ton selling the 550, especially with shipping costs for something heavy like that, so I am all up in the air.

Hey,

So, I really think you are getting hung up on this second EPS connector. One EPS can provide up to 235 whats for the CPU. There are few, if any mainstream CPU's from either Intel or AMD that would require more than that. Yours is a mainstream CPU (at the top end), that doesn't use more than 170w. Having a PSU with 2 EPS connectors, is almost irrelevant for your system. PSU's with two EPS are generally for more power hungry systems, like TR4 and high core count CPU's, and the same for Intel.

and then I see so many people saying there are issues with some other brands and models.

This can be said about any brand/model. There will always be someone who complains, or gets a bad unit. However, with that said, reputable brands and their quality units have low failure rates. Other wise they wouldn't be quality. There are lots of good brands and quality PSU's made with long lasting parts (7-10 years warranty), like EVGA, Seasonic, and in some cases Corsair too. All of them have made turkey PSU in the past, but most are of a certain minimum level now.

You could also look at other PSU's which are as good or even better than the RMX. Seasonic Focus Plus Gold, EVGA G3. There are other options out there.

Given what you've said, I'd now say, stick with the 550w. And if you have any issues, go for a decent 650w, and put your worries behind you.

DefinitelyNotTom

Respectable
Jul 20, 2017
Hey,

So, I really think you are getting hung up on this second EPS connector. One EPS can provide up to 235 whats for the CPU. There are few, if any mainstream CPU's from either Intel or AMD that would require more than that. Yours is a mainstream CPU (at the top end), that doesn't use more than 170w. Having a PSU with 2 EPS connectors, is almost irrelevant for your system. PSU's with two EPS are generally for more power hungry systems, like TR4 and high core count CPU's, and the same for Intel.

This can be said about any brand/model. There will always be someone who complains, or gets a bad unit. However, with that said, reputable brands and their quality units have low failure rates. Other wise they wouldn't be quality. There are lots of good brands and quality PSU's made with long lasting parts (7-10 years warranty), like EVGA, Seasonic, and in some cases Corsair too. All of them have made turkey PSU in the past, but most are of a certain minimum level now.

You could also look at other PSU's which are as good or even better than the RMX. Seasonic Focus Plus Gold, EVGA G3. There are other options out there.

Given what you've said, I'd now say, stick with the 550w. And if you have any issues, go for a decent 650w, and put your worries behind you.
isn't seasonic focus the line where people said there was some issue and not to get them? Or maybe I am mixing it up with something. I know I was definitely considering it and for some reason had worried about it, though.

eyah I know common sense says 1 EPS connector is enough, but then it makes me wonder why the mobo has it set to have 2. What if there is some new tech they know about coming out? I am going to highly doubt it, though.

isn't seasonic focus the line where people said there was some issue and not to get them? Or maybe I am mixing it up with something. I know I was definitely considering it and for some reason had worried about it, though.

eyah I know common sense says 1 EPS connector is enough, but then it makes me wonder why the mobo has it set to have 2. What if there is some new tech they know about coming out? I am going to highly doubt it, though.

Maybe you are getting it mixed up. The Focus Plus Gold are an excellent PSU. I don't think there'd be many here on Tom's that would disagree. Although I'm no a PSU expert by any means, I'm just a lay person (to coin a phrase), I've a keen interest. I read reviews from reputable sites, like jonnyguru, and here on Tom's too, that do great reviews, and try and learn from that.

This community is great for that, and is one of the reasons I'm still here after 10 years, learning from everyone at all levels from their experience and knowledge.

IMO, i'd stick with what you have. If you have any issues, consider a slightly higher powered PSU. I suspect as long as you run your system at stock, you shouldn't have any issues.

DefinitelyNotTom

Respectable
Jul 20, 2017
Maybe you are getting it mixed up. The Focus Plus Gold are an excellent PSU. I don't think there'd be many here on Tom's that would disagree. Although I'm no a PSU expert by any means, I'm just a lay person (to coin a phrase), I've a keen interest. I read reviews from reputable sites, like jonnyguru, and here on Tom's too, that do great reviews, and try and learn from that.

This community is great for that, and is one of the reasons I'm still here after 10 years, learning from everyone at all levels from their experience and knowledge.

IMO, i'd stick with what you have. If you have any issues, consider a slightly higher powered PSU. I suspect as long as you run your system at stock, you shouldn't have any issues.
yeah I am leaning that way. And this build is overkill for me, by far, anyway, so am choosing stock over OCing where I can hopefully extend the life rather than unnecessarily squeezing more out of the build's performance.

So now the only annoying thing left is I am probably going to buy different RAM because I hate chancing RAM not on the qvl and also mine is an odd number latency, which people say is not good for ryzen. Rather than open it and test it and tweak it I think I'd rather take the hit in money and buy another and sell that one.

Then FINALLY can build. Like I've said before on here, next time I should never do this buy a part here and a part there for a long time before building. what a disaster!

yeah I am leaning that way. And this build is overkill for me, by far, anyway, so am choosing stock over OCing where I can hopefully extend the life rather than unnecessarily squeezing more out of the build's performance.

So now the only annoying thing left is I am probably going to buy different RAM because I hate chancing RAM not on the qvl and also mine is an odd number latency, which people say is not good for ryzen. Rather than open it and test it and tweak it I think I'd rather take the hit in money and buy another and sell that one.

Then FINALLY can build. Like I've said before on here, next time I should never do this buy a part here and a part there for a long time before building. what a disaster!

Ram issue, isn't too much to worry about either. Yes, Ryzen doesn't like odd number CL too much, but you can get them to work just fine, by disabling gear down mode in the bios. Don't sell those DIMMS just yet. They may still work just fine.

DefinitelyNotTom

Respectable
Jul 20, 2017
No, disabling it allows odd number CL to function properly.
supposedly it makes it unstable in some other way because I think they said the point of gear down is to increase stability? I am not saying they are right or wrong, just what they said. I'm honestly kind of scared to risk it because opening it decreases resell value, if something goes wrong manufacturers will say too bad not on qvl, and I am tempted to get faster, anyway, even though people say 3200 to 3600 isn't much of a difference. I am still on the fence, though.