News Some RTX 4070s Already Discounted a Day After Launch

atomicWAR

Glorious
Ambassador
As most reviews said: this would have been killer value at $500.

At $600, it is more of that uninspiring 1% more cash per ~1% more performance stagnation. At least you save ~120W over equivalent performance from the previous generation.

I have been saying the same for days. Even a 50 dollar price cut could have reframed the launch as exciting but instead we got the disppointing 600 dollar price tag for a card that only ties the previous 80 series card instead of it beating by 18-30% as has historically been true of 70 cards of yesteryear.

Last edited:

atomicWAR

Glorious
Ambassador
Oh, and $600 is not a midrange graphics card.
Nvidia should be listening to gamers (in the gaming market) but instead I get the feeling of being an after thought at best. Even when we griped about not only the outrageous increase in prices of the 80 series card(s) but the fact Nvidia wanted to sell two vastly different performing cards under the same sku bonnet showed the shear level of disconnect with its gaming consumer base. What we ended up getting for our 'outrage' was an "unlaunched" 12 GB card with a 20-30 percent deficit rebadged as is and sold as the RTX 4070 Ti with a hundred dollar decrease in its original price but a 200 dollar increase in cost over the previous 70 Ti card.

Inflation stinks we all get that. But at the very least Nvidia could have meet gamers in the middle after the abuse we endured last gen from covid supply issues and the crypto boom. Funny enough as soon as crypto sales crashe nvidia conviently claims crypto adds nothing to society yet they sold many cards straight to crypto farms making the scalping and supply issues insane for those only trying to buy single cards instead of pallets worth for mining. Had Nvidia been smart they only would have charged these prices:

RTX 4090 $1600
RTX 4080 $899-949
RTX 4070 Ti $599-649
RTX 4070 $499-549
RTX 4060 Ti $399-449
RTX 4060 $329-379
RTX 4050 Ti $279-299
RTX 4050 $249-269

Last edited:

DSzymborski

Titan
Nvidia should be listening to gamers but instead I get the feeling of being an after thought at best. Even when we griped about not only the outrageous increase in prices of the 80 series card(s) but the fact Nvidia wanted to sell two vastly different performing cards under the same sku bonnet showed the shear level of disconnect with its gaming consumer base. What we ended up getting for our 'outrage' was an "unlaunched" 12 GB card with a 20-30 percent deficit rebadged as is and sold as the RTX 4070 Ti with a hundred dollar decrease in its original price but a 200 dollar increase in cost over the previous 70 Ti card.

Inflation stinks we all get that. But at the very least Nvidia could have meet gamers in the middle after the abuse we endured last gen from covid supply issues and the crypto boom. Funny enough as soon as crypto sales crashe nvidia conviently claims crypto adds nothing to society yet they sold many cards straight to crypto farms making the scalping and supply issues insane for those only trying to buy single cards instead of pallets worth for mining. Had Nvidia been smart they only would have charged these prices:

RTX 4090 $1600
RTX 4080 $899-949
RTX 4070 Ti $599-649
RTX 4070 $499-549
RTX 4060 Ti $399-449
RTX 4060 $329-379
RTX 4050 Ti $279-299
RTX 4050 $249-269
Why would this have been smart for Nvidia? It *might* be, but you'd need significantly more data than just the preference (though it's one I share because like most people, I like paying less for the same product).

I'm not crazy about the prices either, but if you charge $900 for a GPU that people are willing to pay $1200 for, you're basically subsidizing arbitrage. The Super Bowl could sell all their tickets for $5, but exactly zero people would actually pay $5 to get their tickets. The only way this would be smart for Nvidia is if this were what people actually would only pay for. Sales are way down, but getting actual stock and production numbers is almost impossible; if Nvidia's are *actually* on the wrong point on the curve, they're certainly intent on waiting it out.

KyaraM

Admirable
Nvidia should be listening to gamers but instead I get the feeling of being an after thought at best. Even when we griped about not only the outrageous increase in prices of the 80 series card(s) but the fact Nvidia wanted to sell two vastly different performing cards under the same sku bonnet showed the shear level of disconnect with its gaming consumer base. What we ended up getting for our 'outrage' was an "unlaunched" 12 GB card with a 20-30 percent deficit rebadged as is and sold as the RTX 4070 Ti with a hundred dollar decrease in its original price but a 200 dollar increase in cost over the previous 70 Ti card.

RTX 4090 $1600
RTX 4080 $899-949
RTX 4070 Ti $599-649
RTX 4070 $499-549
RTX 4060 Ti $399-449
RTX 4060 $329-379
RTX 4050 Ti $279-299
RTX 4050 $249-269
The thing is, as others stated. The world doesn't revolve around gamers. And the question is also of those cards can actually developed and manufactured at the prices you propose. If not, well, tough luck for everyone.

InvalidError

Titan
Nvidia should be listening to gamers but instead I get the feeling of being an after thought at best.

Inflation stinks we all get that.
There are limits on how much of an "afterthought" gaming can be before shareholders start asking questions about collapsing consumer sales. Nvidia could also find itself in somewhat of a predicament as more new players enter the AI field with dedicated chips that shed all unnecessary functions to pack the most BF16 and INT8 throughput they can in the least silicon and power possible.

While inflation may be a thing, practically every year until four years ago brought cheaper faster chips regardless of inflation. While the cost of GPU wafers may have gone up, the cost of support components has fallen substantially now that the supply chain is mostly back to pre-covid normal which should easily offset it yet GPU prices are still going up. Someone is being exceedingly greedy and attempting to hog all gains.

Most of the inflation we see today is thanks to market consolidation where too many economic sectors have only one or two real players controlling nearly everything.

atomicWAR

Glorious
Ambassador
Why would this have been smart for Nvidia? It *might* be, but you'd need significantly more data than just the preference (though it's one I share because like most people, I like paying less for the same product).

I'm not crazy about the prices either, but if you charge $900 for a GPU that people are willing to pay $1200 for, you're basically subsidizing arbitrage. The Super Bowl could sell all their tickets for $5, but exactly zero people would actually pay $5 to get their tickets. The only way this would be smart for Nvidia is if this were what people actually would only pay for. Sales are way down, but getting actual stock and production numbers is almost impossible; if Nvidia's are *actually* on the wrong point on the curve, they're certainly intent on waiting it out.

The reasons I believe it would have been smart is a few fold. The obvious bit is of course mind share of actual gamers who tried to buy last gen but didn't do to prices/supply. And while I don't have access to all Nvidia internal sales numbers, I can say the amount of outrage I see in various forums, discord channels and with real life connections is higher than I have seen it in the past even exceeding the RTX 2000 series launch by a fair tick.

Lets not forget how much 4080s sat on shelves when they launched when they normally sell out instantly. And while yes gamers are still likely to go Nvida because of performance/features but as new companies enter the GPU game like Intel, rubbing your consumer base wrong again and again is a risky move to make in the long term at the moment, or so I would think. Lets not forget 3dfx's Voodoo cards had some 80% of the market just before 3dfx started releasing their own hardware only to lose that market share to nvidia almost over night. EVGA just left the Nvidia AIB market over Nvidia antics and only a few generations after Nvidia began releasing their own cards. If your not careful history will repeat itself.

The second reason It would have been smart for Nvidia is the buzz it would have created in the media helping them grab even more sales while again increasing mindshare. Which leads to my third reason. With performance issues cropping up due to 8GB vram buffers and 12GB showing their age as well, it would be easier for media outlets and users a like to jusitify the lack of vram in some models with cheaper prices.

I don't think your wrong though, Nvidia is willing to sit through this and wait.

Last edited:

atomicWAR

Glorious
Ambassador
The thing is, as others stated. The world doesn't revolve around gamers. And the question is also of those cards can actually developed and manufactured at the prices you propose. If not, well, tough luck for everyone.
I never said the world revolved around gamers I only stated Nvidia might want the good will of gamers for their gaming oriented cards (edited post to show intent more clearly). As for the prices being lower as I propose. Maybe my numbers aren't exact on what they can hit but InvalidError covered if before I could reply so I'll give him credit here...
While inflation may be a thing, practically every year until four years ago brought cheaper faster chips regardless of inflation. While the cost of GPU wafers may have gone up, the cost of support components has fallen substantially now that the supply chain is mostly back to pre-covid normal which should easily offset it yet GPU prices are still going up. Someone is being exceedingly greedy and attempting to hog all gains.

Most of the inflation we see today is thanks to market consolidation where too many economic sectors have only one or two real players controlling nearly everything.
And this sums up my thoughts on the manner well as I very much agree with his insight here. Maybe my numbers were to 'small' but certainly Nvidia's are too big...historically speaking that is.
There are limits on how much of an "afterthought" gaming can be before shareholders start asking questions about collapsing consumer sales. Nvidia could also find itself in somewhat of a predicament as more new players enter the AI field with dedicated chips that shed all unnecessary functions to pack the most BF16 and INT8 throughput they can in the least silicon and power possible.

I don't disagree here. Nvidia has a fight on their hands. Maybe doing a better job of isolating AI vs general compute vs gaming work load product skus could help them. A little less of jack of all trades and more focused offerings might help them out in the long run but would certainly increase their R&D costs so I could be wrong. I honestly don't know for sure as these markets are in hyper speed. But the indiscriminate raising of prices will bite them in the back side eventually if Nvidia and AMD aren't careful.

Last edited:
Reactions: daworstplaya
D

Deleted member 2838871

Gamers don't even make up the majority of Nvidia's revenue I don't think... and they are still a corporation out to make money just like any other.

4090 only card worth the price this gen IMO due to the performance increase over the 3090. I paid it for that reason alone... and 24GB is honestly as low as I want to go with VRAM.

InvalidError

Titan
But the indiscriminate raising of prices will bite them in the back side eventually if Nvidia and AMD aren't careful.
Piss on a market segment long enough, someone else may usurp your market share and you'll be the one struggling to get it back. If Intel decides to go for a market share grab with a $299 "B750", there will be carnage in the mid-range segment.

Gamers don't even make up the majority of Nvidia's revenue I don't think... and they are still a corporation out to make money just like any other.
Gaming used to be 2/3 of Nvidia's income at over 3G$/Q. Now it is down to 1/3 due to massive increase in AI/DC sales to over 3G$ while gaming revenue dropped 50%.

There aren't many markets where a supplier can afford to let 50% of its sales disappear by pricing itself out of their customers' budget without suffering consequences.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 2838871

Gaming used to be 2/3 of Nvidia's income at over 3G$/year. Now it is down to 1/3 due to massive increase in AI/DC sales to over 3G$ while gaming revenue dropped 50%.

There aren't many markets where a supplier can afford to let 50% of its sales disappear by pricing itself out of their customers' budget without suffering consequences.

Time will tell... I haven't bought a Samsung phone since 2011 because iPhones are better. I've never purchased an AMD GPU because Nvidia's cards have always been better... dating back to my GeForce 3 purchase in 2001.

Point being... until the other guy makes a better product I'm sticking with the best even if it does cost more.

atomicWAR

Glorious
Ambassador
Piss on a market segment long enough, someone else may usurp your market share and you'll be the one struggling to get it back. If Intel decides to go for a market share grab with a $299 "B750", there will be carnage in the mid-range segment.

Gaming used to be 2/3 of Nvidia's income at over 3G$/year. Now it is down to 1/3 due to massive increase in AI/DC sales to over 3G$ while gaming revenue dropped 50%.

Exactly my point! You get it. I am not in here raging to rage as I am no fan of trolls. BUT Nvidia has gotten bad, gotten away with it for far to long and the escalation is near impossible to ignore at this point. It only takes one company the right product at the right time and all of a sudden Nvidia (or anybody) becomes the next 3dfx.

D

Deleted member 2838871

Exactly my point! You get it. I am not in here raging to rage as I am no fan of trolls. BUT Nvidia has gotten bad, gotten away with it for far to long and the escalation is near impossible to ignore at this point. It only takes one company the right product at the right time and all of a sudden Nvidia (or anybody) becomes the next 3dfx.

I feel the same way about Apple products. I honestly don't see how they sell computers given the prices for what you get. $3000+ for hardware that came out 2+ years ago... :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

btmedic04

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2015
Because people aren't buying them. My local microcenter had 14 different models up yesterday and were only available for in store pick up. A day after launch, they still have 14 models available, but more tellingly is the fact that you can now place online reservations for them. There isn't a gpu I can think of in recent memory that was able to be reserved online from microcenter the day after launch.

InvalidError

Titan
Because people aren't buying them.
Everyone willing to spend $600+ for a GPU has already done so. For most people who are left, price-performance that scales almost exactly 1:1 relative to previous-gen 70-tier stinks.

Nvidia should have seen this one coming from how sharply demand softened once scalpers started returning the 4090s and 4080s they couldn't pawn off for profit.

Question is whether Nvidia will care enough to do an official price correction.

I'm shocked. SHOCKED!

Well, not that shocked.
--

This is good and nVidia needs to strike a balance, because most people will put things in the balance when you start going up in price without touching grass, which is quite ironic since nVidia is green. HA.

Anyway, I hope nVidia takes some lessons from this and competes in good faith and doesn't try to screw its fanbase so blatantly.

Inb4 "in good faith": check their latest marketing shenanigans and how God awfully misleading they are. More than previously. No hat AMD is much better, but they do get called out rightfully for it.

Regards.

Reactions: atomicWAR

tek-check

Commendable
Aug 31, 2021

At $600, it is more of that uninspiring 1% more cash per ~1% more performance stagnation. At least you save ~120W over equivalent performance from the previous generation.
Plus, it's 12GB if VRAM only. This will become problematic in increasing number of games from now and in next two years, leading to stuttering, lower RT performance and muddled textures, as shown in recent video by Steve from Hardwave Unboxed testing 3070 against 6800.

Apr 14, 2023

I have to disagree here. There are too many questions about, if 12g is enough ram for 1440p in 2 years, and we should not have to buy a new card every 2 years. With this specs, this really become an entry level 1440p card. Even at $500, that is too much money for Entry level. Now Saying it is $500 for a Moderate to High end 1080p, that might be a better deal. Presently though, must of us are still programmed that xx70 are 1440p to entry 4k cards.

InvalidError

Titan
With this specs, this really become an entry level 1440p card.
Tying a resolution to a tier makes absolutely no sense to me. Graphics performance is almost infinitely tunable, almost any GPU can play any resolution as long as you are willing to make compromises. Historically, "entry level" GPUs meant aiming for medium-high settings out of the box at best to get a steady 60FPS. An actual entry-level shopper wouldn't even dream of achieving Ultra-Psycho-Nightmare at 80+FPS (1440p) on launch-day titles like the RTX4070 can.

While the price-performance may suck and the 12GB of VRAM could be problematic for enthusiasts in the future, the RTX4070 isn't performing like an entry-level GPU ("got to make significant compromises just to hit 60FPS") until you hit 4k or turn RT on.