News Some RTX 4090 Graphics Cards Recommend a 1200W Power Supply

D

Deleted member 14196

Lol. Going the way of 3dfx. Don’t worry there. Next version is going to require a molten salt reactor

none of this is sustainable, and none of it makes any sense because all they’re doing is building a bad reputation

Reactions: PEnns

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
none of the top tier cards have ever been about need. it's a matter of "if we build it, they will buy it" mentality.

so long as there is another box to check in the game or some other unneeded "feature" folks will line up to pay whatever to be able to say they got that thing.

most of us laugh at it, but they are still going to sell out, mega psu's will still be needed and bought to run them and some really insecure people out there will continue to measure their worth by the pc on the desk.

enjoy it i guess, but know we all see through the smoke and are laughing at you to your face :)

well at least i am laughing to your face anyway.... hahahahahahaha

D

Deleted member 14196

To be totally honest, graphics have been good enough since the Xbox 360 for me and it’s all been gravy since. so I don’t even see the need to game on a PC

I agree with you, I don’t need those extra features, nor do I even care. I just think it’s ridiculous with the power requirements.

Jul 7, 2022
Lol. Going the way of 3dfx. Don’t worry there. Next version is going to require a molten salt reactor

none of this is sustainable, and none of it makes any sense because all they’re doing is building a bad reputation
Nonsense, Nvidia is doing all of us a solid and providing dual use value!!! Graphics card with space heater capability!!! Thanks Nvidia for being so in tune with what us small fries need!

D

Deleted member 14196

Remember with the 3DFX cards— the power requirements were getting ridiculous and Nvidia came along and put them out of business?

Feb 10, 2022
If this is the route PC gaming is headed, then PC gaming is soon to be dead. Normal people can't afford a $1600 GPU, that requires a $200+ PSU, on top of all the other system components. This is just absurd, and Nvidia is either out of their minds, or simply don't know how to innovate any longer. Hell, even their lower tier options are ridiculously overpriced.

Anyone can buy a (hopefully soon, anyways) $500 gaming console and enjoy solid performance on their existing TVs. At these price points, why would anyone want to game on PC anymore? I hope Intel (eventually), and AMD stomp Nvidia into the ground. Screw Jensen and his dumbass leather jacket.

D

Deleted member 14196

I think they know this is not sustainable just like the automobile companies now it’s not sustainable, but right now, the market is bearing high prices

PiranhaTech

Reputable
Mar 20, 2021
1200W PSU... you usually don't use 100% of a PC's PSU, but man, 1200W is really pushing things in terms of a typical circuit breaker. It's more than likely safe, but it's getting close to that 1500W generally safe limit.

Last edited:

PiranhaTech

Reputable
Mar 20, 2021
Anyone can buy a (hopefully soon, anyways) $500 gaming console and enjoy solid performance on their existing TVs. At these price points, why would anyone want to game on PC anymore? I hope Intel (eventually), and AMD stomp Nvidia into the ground. Screw Jensen and his dumbass leather jacket.
I was surprised. I thought the Xbox Series X would be in stock, but only as bundles right now. But honestly, if it weren't for the disc drive, I would probably been happy with a Series S (rumor is that a series S disc drive is coming)

Last edited:
Reactions: sherhi

aberkae

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009
Can you please make a list of available atx 3.0 psus? Also what's up with EVGA dropping the ball on not having a single atx 3.0 in it's entire PSU lineup? Also is there any 4090 gpu vendor that will have an actual atx 3.0 on October 12th?
Lastly can you undervolt these throttle monsters to get 95 performance at significantly less power draw?

Barefoot

Distinguished
May 30, 2013
Nvidia's RTX 4090 consumes a lot of power, and already recommends an 850W power supply for the reference Founders Edition. Some Nvidia partners with their overclocked designs meanwhile are recommending 1000W and even 1200W PSUs for their RTX 4090 cards.

Some RTX 4090 Graphics Cards Recommend a 1200W Power Supply : Read more
What Intel ought to do, is contact EVGA with their new cards, and say "Here! See what you can do with it, we're having some driver issues! Can you help if you can have unlimited creativity?"

Can you just see EVGA taking out Nvidia with graphic cards that have (like some in the old days) free reign to make a dual processor GPU that out performs Nvidia's best?
Intel on the label that smokes everybody else!! Here's hoping SOMEONE at Intel contacts EVGA and watch what happens!

Reactions: boe rhae and Why_Me

sherhi

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2015
If this is the route PC gaming is headed, then PC gaming is soon to be dead. Normal people can't afford a $1600 GPU, that requires a $200+ PSU, on top of all the other system components. This is just absurd, and Nvidia is either out of their minds, or simply don't know how to innovate any longer. Hell, even their lower tier options are ridiculously overpriced.

I really tried even asking on this forum to upgrade my 8 year old 4790k+gtx760 1080p rig...the most financially relevant answer was (at that time) to buy 3060 for 500€ (now at 400€, also 6700 10gb costs the same). Well the Xbox series X for 500€ (consoles cost almost the same in Euros and dollars while PC parts do not!) Is much better choice for my 4k TV than new GPU for my small 1080p monitor.

vinay2070

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2011
Not sure what everybody is complaining about. 4090 is a titan class card. 75B Transistors, 24Gigs of memory, and running at 2,6 to 3Ghz. Thats a monster. It will definitely need a big power supply. This is for gamers who needs a best in class performance. Just dont buy it if you game normally. This is for 4k high FPS gamers. Most gamers should be happy with a 3080 12G.
Is 4xxx efficient? It is if you consider the 4080 and its 3dmark score. 14K for the same power consumption of a 3090 or less? Thats good enough efficiency.

Would it be as efficient as AMD? Probably not. Then there is a lot of things AMD cannot do like DLSS3's frame insertion or CUDA or RT as good. Only future will tell how good those are. But 4090 is card in a class of its own and its a good thing it exists.

What really sux currently is the 4080 16G pricing. No, not speaking about the 4070 12G - thats an error in naming.

Reactions: Why_Me

vinay2070

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2011
Not sure why these guys dont provide those 4:1 power adapters with longer 12 Pin wires. Why do they have to intersect just near the GPU. Why dont they provide a bit of a longer wire so 1 set of wire can be drawn till the back of the case where it can be split to 4 8 pins? How much money will they save by doing the short version - especially when they are bundling with a titan class card. Ridiculous.

Perhaps AIB partners learned the lesson with the high end RTX 3000 series, and now they are accounting for transient power spikes?

With not many ATX 3.0 PSUs around, you have to handle the power consumption carefully I guess.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Can you please make a list of available atx 3.0 psus? Also what's up with EVGA dropping the ball on not having a single atx 3.0 in it's entire PSU lineup? Also is there any 4090 gpu vendor that will have an actual atx 3.0 on October 12th?
Lastly can you undervolt these throttle monsters to get 95 performance at significantly less power draw?
Only one listed with a price on PCPartspicker.
https://pcpartpicker.com/products/power-supply/#J=1,2

Most of the PSU manufactures are selling the cables that go into your 8 pin PSU side to the video card. You can also buy these from cable mod and some other custom cable sellers.

For the undervolting I guess you need to wait and see.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Not sure why these guys dont provide those 4:1 power adapters with longer 12 Pin wires. Why do they have to intersect just near the GPU. Why dont they provide a bit of a longer wire so 1 set of wire can be drawn till the back of the case where it can be split to 4 8 pins? How much money will they save by doing the short version - especially when they are bundling with a titan class card. Ridiculous.
When you add a adapter you have already added a extra potential fail point, when you add length to the cable you change the resistance lowering the power it can provide.

EDIT and most of the PSU and cable mod companies are selling cables for the cards that plug into the 8 pin PSU side and right into the video card.

Good stuff right here.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvsPZA8CkBY

TRENDING THREADS