[SOLVED] Some things going on with the Vega 56

Aug 1, 2019
Here is the case.
Got in my hands a Vega 56 card from a friend who says that he has some problems with it. He said that had some grafic glitches and even worse crashes. He gave it to me for the test because he was trying to send it back to the shop to repair and they turned it saying that it works normally, no problems were noticed.

So I placed it in to my system instead of mine GTX1060, have Ryzen 5 3600, 650w 80+ bronze PSU, and was playing the whole evening in AC Origis, Metro Exodus, the card was loaded for %100, no problems, no glitches. But when my wife today launched and played Sims 4 for an hour, the whole system went black and pc turned off. After that it was not starting, she pressed turn on button couple of times but nothing happend (all led things like the ROG logo on the mobo were on and bright) so the system had a power. But, it was not reacting on the "power on" button. So she took took it off the power connection, in 5 minutes tried to turn back again and it worked out, pc started. We are trying to understand what is this, this random bug, why it happened, and how it could possibly block the power switch.

Solution
Bronze, Silver, Gold, these are not things that MATTER, AT ALL, in terms of PSU quality.

Yes, any PSU that is decent quality WILL have some kind of 80plus certification these days BUT there are PLENTY of power supplies with 80plus certifications that are worth less than the metal that was used to build them. There are Gold and Titanium rated models that I wouldn't trust to power a string of LED lights, much less an entire system.

The 80plus certification is NOT how we identify whether a unit is any good or not. It is COMPLETELY IRRELEVANT in terms of build quality and platform performance, UNLESS it is a platform that we already know is good, in which case it might add some value overall.

I would highly recommend you read ALL of the...
Likely, there is an intermittent problem with the card, like a short, that is triggering the protections on the PSU. I would tell your friend to begin a discussion with the "shop" or the manufacturer explaining that the card has an intermittent problem and that it works fine sometimes but after some extended usage it will do as you have seen it do. That way they can keep it a bit longer and continue to test it until they can duplicate the problem. It is very unlikely that this is anything that can be "fixed". The card almost certainly needs to be replaced.

Reactions: Tsaryk Anton
Aug 1, 2019
Likely, there is an intermittent problem with the card, like a short, that is triggering the protections on the PSU. I would tell your friend to begin a discussion with the "shop" or the manufacturer explaining that the card has an intermittent problem and that it works fine sometimes but after some extended usage it will do as you have seen it do. That way they can keep it a bit longer and continue to test it until they can duplicate the problem. It is very unlikely that this is anything that can be "fixed". The card almost certainly needs to be replaced.
Yes, I also don't think that Sims 4 would load graphics card more than last AC or Metro, more over, my friend said that after the last time he sent it back to the shop and it got back to him - he made a stress test for couple of hours on his own and no problems were noticed. Also, no lags happened on my own rig so I'm pretty sure that something wrong with the card.

Aug 1, 2019
The best you can probably do is to let them know it's been tested in at least 2 systems with the same symptoms. Maybe even test your card in his system so that you can prove as well that both systems are stable when the vega 56 is not present.
He has R9 280x, in order to upgrade which he bough that Vega, and with his R9 system works smoothly.

This shouldn't make a difference since you tested in your system as well, but what power supply is he using? I am inclined to tell them at that point, the card was tested in at least 2 different systems that are stable until the vega is introduced and could they do an exchange or something? Depending how long ago he bought it they may or may not allow that.

Reactions: Tsaryk Anton
i actuall encou
Here is the case.
Got in my hands a Vega 56 card from a friend who says that he has some problems with it. He said that had some grafic glitches and even worse crashes. He gave it to me for the test because he was trying to send it back to the shop to repair and they turned it saying that it works normally, no problems were noticed.

So I placed it in to my system instead of mine GTX1060, have Ryzen 5 3600, 650w 80+ bronze PSU, and was playing the whole evening in AC Origis, Metro Exodus, the card was loaded for %100, no problems, no glitches. But when my wife today launched and played Sims 4 for an hour, the whole system went black and pc turned off. After that it was not starting, she pressed turn on button couple of times but nothing happend (all led things like the ROG logo on the mobo were on and bright) so the system had a power. But, it was not reacting on the "power on" button. So she took took it off the power connection, in 5 minutes tried to turn back again and it worked out, pc started. We are trying to understand what is this, this random bug, why it happened, and how it could possibly block the power switch.

i had this SAME behavior happen to me with a vega 64 from PowerColor, the same thing you describe. everything powers up but sometimes had to power cycle a few times just to get a display. a lot of times wouldn't come out of the sleep state either, just black screen. I ended up having to sen the card back for a replacement. tried flashing with many different BIOS's but it would never work untill i sent it back

Aug 1, 2019
This shouldn't make a difference since you tested in your system as well, but what power supply is he using? I am inclined to tell them at that point, the card was tested in at least 2 different systems that are stable until the vega is introduced and could they do an exchange or something? Depending how long ago he bought it they may or may not allow that.
I have 650 bronze, he has 600 silver

Aug 1, 2019
i actuall encou

i had this SAME behavior happen to me with a vega 64 from PowerColor, the same thing you describe. everything powers up but sometimes had to power cycle a few times just to get a display. a lot of times wouldn't come out of the sleep state either, just black screen. I ended up having to sen the card back for a replacement. tried flashing with many different BIOS's but it would never work untill i sent it back
This one is from Sapphire, but yes, seems like he just need to get rid of it.

Bronze, Silver, Gold, these are not things that MATTER, AT ALL, in terms of PSU quality.

Yes, any PSU that is decent quality WILL have some kind of 80plus certification these days BUT there are PLENTY of power supplies with 80plus certifications that are worth less than the metal that was used to build them. There are Gold and Titanium rated models that I wouldn't trust to power a string of LED lights, much less an entire system.

The 80plus certification is NOT how we identify whether a unit is any good or not. It is COMPLETELY IRRELEVANT in terms of build quality and platform performance, UNLESS it is a platform that we already know is good, in which case it might add some value overall.

I would highly recommend you read ALL of the following.

https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...t-to-avoid-and-psu-discussion-thread.3212332/

https://www.sevenforums.com/pc-cust...y-80-plus-irrelevant-you-when-buying-psu.html

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/psu-buying-guide,2916.html

Solution