[SOLVED] Some weird issue after switching motherboards recently

dormdude

Honorable
Aug 3, 2016
So recently I got a new motherboard for my pc and just paid a PC store to install it for me since I didn't want to mess anything up and I was super busy with work at the time. Since then I've had 2 issues I didn't have before so I assume they're related to the motherboard. The first is my Ethernet just randomly stops working. I just suddenly have no internet connection and it happens at random times. The first time it happened within 10 mins of using my desktop for the first time. Other times I've gone days before it happens. I've tried switching cables and still get the issue. The only way I've found to fix it is to just restart the desktop. I can't really find anything online that helps so idk where to begin with it. I have a USB WiFi adapter but I haven't tried it yet to see if I end up having the same issue. I get significantly faster internet wired so I'd rather no use wifi at all. The other issue is Xbox live parties no long work on my desktop. I've tried every solution I can find online with no help. Just get the error "something went wrong please try again later" (what a helpful error description) whenever I start or join a party. I thought maybe microsoft had issues on their end but it's been well over a week and I don't have the issue on my xbox. These issue are getting really frustrating especially since I can just get banned from some games if my internet decides to stop working when I'm playing . Anyone got some suggestions?

The motherboard is a Gigabyte B550M DS3H
Other specs AMD Ryzen 2700x
32GB DDR4 Ram
RTX 2070 Super

Solution
I've never done a clean install on anything but a new harddrive so how do I go about doing a clean install?

kanewolf

Titan
So recently I got a new motherboard for my pc and just paid a PC store to install it for me since I didn't want to mess anything up and I was super busy with work at the time. Since then I've had 2 issues I didn't have before so I assume they're related to the motherboard. The first is my Ethernet just randomly stops working. I just suddenly have no internet connection and it happens at random times. The first time it happened within 10 mins of using my desktop for the first time. Other times I've gone days before it happens. I've tried switching cables and still get the issue. The only way I've found to fix it is to just restart the desktop. I can't really find anything online that helps so idk where to begin with it. I have a USB WiFi adapter but I haven't tried it yet to see if I end up having the same issue. I get significantly faster internet wired so I'd rather no use wifi at all. The other issue is Xbox live parties no long work on my desktop. I've tried every solution I can find online with no help. Just get the error "something went wrong please try again later" (what a helpful error description) whenever I start or join a party. I thought maybe microsoft had issues on their end but it's been well over a week and I don't have the issue on my xbox. These issue are getting really frustrating especially since I can just get banned from some games if my internet decides to stop working when I'm playing . Anyone got some suggestions?

The motherboard is a Gigabyte B550M DS3H
Other specs AMD Ryzen 2700x
32GB DDR4 Ram
RTX 2070 Super
Was a clean Windows install done when you got the new motherboard ?

kanewolf

Titan
I don't think so. I have all my data on my drives still so I'm guessing they just popped them in and picked the boot drive. I've had this desktop for like 7 years and I don't want to lose all my stuff.
You should have backups anyway. A drive can fail at any time.
But, when changing motherboards, it is recommended to do a clean OS install to minimize "ghost" problems like you are having now. It is a pain, but, like going to the dentist, sometimes it is required. You just need to prepare properly.

dormdude

Honorable
Aug 3, 2016
You should have backups anyway. A drive can fail at any time.
But, when changing motherboards, it is recommended to do a clean OS install to minimize "ghost" problems like you are having now. It is a pain, but, like going to the dentist, sometimes it is required. You just need to prepare properly.
My case only hold 2 drives and I've never really had the money to buy 2 big drives, 1 big enough for what i need while also creating a backup the whole time. plus it's just gaming stuff mostly so it's not a problem if I lose any of it just extremely annoying. Would doing just the windows reset work at all? Is that technically an install?

dormdude

Honorable
Aug 3, 2016
What was the original motherboard? Why did you get a new one?
It was kinda some crappy cheap motherboard that I started on a budget. I suddenly had some weird issues recently with the desktop just crashing for no reason so i took it to a store so they could run some hardware tests to see what the problem was. It had to be the PSU or motherboard. The Power supply worked fine so it had to be the board and I figured why not just get a new one now. It'll give me a lot more options for future upgrades. Turns out there was a power surge and it just needed a power cycle to fix it, I figured that out when my TV and Xbox had issue not too long after I took it in and nothing worked until i gave up and just turned the power strip off and on as a last resort.

kanewolf

Titan
My case only hold 2 drives and I've never really had the money to buy 2 big drives, 1 big enough for what i need while also creating a backup the whole time. plus it's just gaming stuff mostly so it's not a problem if I lose any of it just extremely annoying. Would doing just the windows reset work at all? Is that technically an install?
You are definitely operating on shaky ground. If you boot drive fails tonight, what do you do?

Windows reset is not the same as a fresh install. It doesn't wipe out enough to get rid of the remnants of the old motherboard.

dormdude

Honorable
Aug 3, 2016
You are definitely operating on shaky ground. If you boot drive fails tonight, what do you do?

Windows reset is not the same as a fresh install. It doesn't wipe out enough to get rid of the remnants of the old motherboard.
I don't really care that much if it fails. I just don't have money right now to buy another one. Anything mildly important is backup to an external drive and my google drive. 99.9% of it is useless stuff for gaming. I've never done a clean install on anything but a new harddrive so how do I go about doing a clean install?

USAFRet

Titan
I've never done a clean install on anything but a new harddrive so how do I go about doing a clean install?

Solution

dormdude

Honorable
Aug 3, 2016
Well that looked like it would take a lot of time which I don't really haver so I figured if I was going to lose most of my stuff anyway I went with the full windows reset since it would be quicker and easier. That seems to have worked. Xbox parties are at least working and it's hard to know for internet yet since it was such a sporadic issue I can't be sure for a few days.

USAFRet

Titan
Well that looked like it would take a lot of time which I don't really haver so I figured if I was going to lose most of my stuff anyway I went with the full windows reset since it would be quicker and easier. That seems to have worked. Xbox parties are at least working and it's hard to know for internet yet since it was such a sporadic issue I can't be sure for a few days.
It takes longer to read that than to actually do it.

But if you just wanna take half measures...its your system.

Reactions: King_V

dormdude

Honorable
Aug 3, 2016
It takes longer to read that than to actually do it.

But if you just wanna take half measures...its your system.
Like I said I didn't really care about losing most of my stuff. If anything it was a deep clean I probably needed to do soon. If I find other issues or if problems come back then I'll try the full wipe and install. But I figured I might as well try the easier route first so I can at least be back at a functional capacity for a game I had planned with my friends tonight. Thanks for your help and suggestions. I do appreciate it.