Question Somebody accessing my laptop ( via signals, not physical )

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 13, 2019
I have this problem with all desktop PC's and laptop's. Currenty bought 3rd computer.

The housemate is keep accessing (somehow) my computer, once I click power button, Otherwise housemate is unable to use my computer. ( housemate dont have physical access, only remote way via signals )

Very likely that housemate needs ( one of the following ):
Diffrend MAC adress -> spoofing may not help for him.
His device is being tracked, so uses my computer 'as a stop or filter' to cover.
His device is being sniffed or infected. So using my device, to rid off something.

I think there should be far more advanced UEFI/BIOS options. Or maybe even DOS actually should have true commands to prevent computer leave open connections.
As in my case, firewall or airplane mode dont do a job, even disabling drivers - also dont help.

I have bought 3rd computer from a store.
Once I click 'power on' button, I tap F2 to enter BIOS. Entering password and staying in the BIOS. Thats enought to do ( even dont need to boot OperatingSystem ), and houseMate getting some kind of benefit from my laptop.
I/O security inteface: all stuff selected as 'lock'.
Does'nt help.

I strongly suspect that laptop still leaves open connections, but they are not so visible.

I attached visual schema, to understand easier.

View: https://imgur.com/a/x08gLNU

nobody is doing anything with/thru a laptop merely powered on and merely sitting in a BIOS menu/pre-bootup state...

But, if you are using a router, I'd factory reset it to defaults, then apply a VERY secure password thru a known non-infected computer, and disable/forgo wireless altogether, switching to straight wired connections... (Does the router at home belong to you?)

Any computers you feel might be compromised, best to assume they are, and they need to be 'nuked and paved', and pronto...and safest to assume all passwords to anything/everything you've ever done from that computer are assumed compromised, and need to be changed ASAP.

May 13, 2019
nobody is doing anything with/thru a laptop merely powered on and merely sitting in a BIOS menu/pre-bootup state...

But, if you are using a router, I'd factory reset it to defaults, then apply a VERY secure password thru a known non-infected computer, and disable/forgo wireless altogether, switching to straight wired connections... (Does the router at home belong to you?)

Any computers you feel might be compromised, best to assume they are, and they need to be 'nuked and paved', and pronto...and safest to assume all passwords to anything/everything you've ever done from that computer are assumed compromised, and need to be changed ASAP.

I don't use router. ( I no complain about internet, not intenting to use it )

I strongly suspect, that housemate, connecting to my computer motherboard ( or other component ) as soon as I turn on computer, as it gets electricpower.

Or there is other ports lefts open. HOUSEMATE ACCESSING OR USING MY COMPUTER REMOTE WAY, NOT PHYSICAL, AS HOUSEMATE HAVE NO PHYSICAL ACCESS TO MY COMPUTER.

LAN, BlueTooth, WiFi is disabled in UEFI.

Sorry, but, short of sorcery, a laptop/desktop in it's prebootup/BIOS menu state is not really exploitable or vulnerable ... mainboards don't have hidden access methods, ports, etc., allowing access to your data drives in a pre-bootup state

Are you using a wireless keyboard/mouse? Go to wired....inspect that no devices are in between peripherals, including capture devices inbetween computer and monitor......; and make sure you have no hidden cameras that might have betrayed your BIOS password, etc., which would give someone access in your absence...

What is it that makes you think/know anything is happening whatsoever while the computer is still in a BIOS menu/preboot state?

BIOS passwords can be bypassed, but, then it would be obvious that it had been removed/changed next time you powered on the computer in question...

Reset your CMOS, put in a new password in a dark closet via flashlight, delete your partitions, reinstall Windows, and remove your hard drive and take it with you...

Lastly, get some new housemates? :)

Last edited:
May 13, 2019
Sorry, but, short of sorcery, a laptop/desktop in it's prebootup/BIOS menu state is not really exploitable or vulnerable ... mainboards don't have hidden access methods, ports, etc., allowing access to your data drives in a pre-bootup state

What is it that makes you think/know anything is happening whatsoever while the computer is still in a BIOS menu/preboot state?

First of all, I thinking this is done not via network-internet.

This housemate 'injection' to my computer motherboard causes result:
( once housemate in house ) Horrible ping, actually 'lagg spikes' and bad jitler.
( once housemate in house ) IF disabled internet or not, the computer both ways more likely to work like a zombie.
( once housemate in house ) Shut down process is 3x slower then usual. ++Extra: { once 'start' icon within toolbar is removed } -> dropping "reference error tab" or "some program wont shut down properly".
( once housemate in house ) The desktop PC is more likely to get 'electric powerSurges' -> causing computer to shut down or restart. Laptop to get blackScreen, requiring to hold 'power button' or reinsert battery, to make usable again.

AND THE BIGGEST EVIDENCE.
Once I turn off laptop, housemate becomes moist:
starts coughting;
impersonating going to toilet, and locking inside 1-2 hours;
going to do house-work like cooking/washing dishes -> secretly refreshing iphone.

If I turnOn or turnOff the POE wire, I can clearly hear that houseMate also reconnecting some sort of physical device, dont know which one. But this is not because of internet, houseMate have his own ISP and router -> not dependant by my POE wire nor ISP anthenna.

I suspect that houseMate using my ISP anthenna, as a radar or scanner, to find all TURNED ON computers around and connecting to its motherboard. Of course he may not break into OS, but using my laptop RAM-CPU-NETWORK CARD, once it gets electric power ( Once I click power button ).

This problem persist, over 5 years, with:
My bought 3x computers from a store ( with box and warranty ): 2x desktop ( 2000; 2014 ), 1 laptop ( 2018 ).
(Once was) Borrowed 2x laptops.

"turn on/turn off the POE wire"...POE wire connected to/from where?

Your computer has a power over ethernet connection going to it? connected to where?

No idea if your computer has any sorts of malware /spyware/keyloggers on it... (if you think it might....delete your partitions, and a full reinstall are in order)

DId you not say the computer was not connected to internet, and/or that you were not using it? Yet now you are referencing ping times...(naturally, if multiple people are sharing a marginal connection , ping times on one or both devices can suffer if one device is downloading movies while another tries other activities....

If your computer is connected to router (wired or wirelessly), then whoever has admin rights over router can easily see when/if devices are connected....

As to if your OS is set up for connection sharing in the past, whatever, we don't know. No idea if anyone can see your data once your OS is booted.

I can only point out that your computer is NOT usable in a pre-boot /BIOS menu state... there is no 'magic' that allows your MB or hardware connected to it to be used remotely by someone else.

No one is getting to your data or sharing any internet usage except thru either a wired or wireless connection...and even that can only happen once you are booted up, barring some of the most sophisticated rootkits, installation of a hypervisor without your knowledge, etc. Decide which applies, and we can further investigate.
You can't have this both ways, saying your PC is 'used' somehow, yet not over wired connection, wireless or , 'internet'....there simply is no alternative...

"computer more likely to work like a zombie' - literally no idea what you are attempting to describe here...

WHen you can more accurately describe what is going on (who goes to/pretends to go where or s'secretly accesses phone' is irrelevant with helping figure out what is going on), and what your network/internet connection methods are, then we can speculate what might be happening...if anything.

As someone who pays close attention to modern day hacks he cant access you computer without carefully crafted man in the middle attacks or using ime then injecting a rogue uefi security key. That said if youre using poe make sure your poe is encrypted. He cant join your network without knowing the key.

The kind of people that know how to do this already work for security departments or state actors. The kind of people who know about intel ime, uefi binaries and secure keys is beyound small. We are talking ,1% of the .1% of the .1%. ime documentation is near non existant. Uefi security keys have to be stolen and not discovered to be stolen so they arent revoked. Then you have to understand uefi binaries. then you also have to jack the poe ethernet. Its a lot easier and logical to hijack a random computer on the internet.

Youre being paranoid sorry. And it would do us poorly to feed into this.

The symptoms you are experiencing are imagined.

Last edited:
Go into Control Panel snd click on System. Under the Remote tab, go to Advanced then change the 6 hours to 2 minutes. Then untick the box that allows the computer to be controlled remotely. Click on OK then back at the first box you saw, remove that tick as well.

Then look in your programmes list and if you see Team Viewer, uninstall it.

That might have been the way in to your system. Keep the laptop in a locked drawer or take it out with you whenever you leave the house. Also, as has already been said, choose better housemates in future or move into a place of your own.

First of all, I thinking this is done not via network-internet.

This housemate 'injection' to my computer motherboard causes result:
( once housemate in house ) Horrible ping, actually 'lagg spikes' and bad jitler.
( once housemate in house ) IF disabled internet or not, the computer both ways more likely to work like a zombie.
( once housemate in house ) Shut down process is 3x slower then usual. ++Extra: { once 'start' icon within toolbar is removed } -> dropping "reference error tab" or "some program wont shut down properly".
( once housemate in house ) The desktop PC is more likely to get 'electric powerSurges' -> causing computer to shut down or restart. Laptop to get blackScreen, requiring to hold 'power button' or reinsert battery, to make usable again.

AND THE BIGGEST EVIDENCE.
Once I turn off laptop, housemate becomes moist:
starts coughting;
impersonating going to toilet, and locking inside 1-2 hours;
going to do house-work like cooking/washing dishes -> secretly refreshing iphone.

If I turnOn or turnOff the POE wire, I can clearly hear that houseMate also reconnecting some sort of physical device, dont know which one. But this is not because of internet, houseMate have his own ISP and router -> not dependant by my POE wire nor ISP anthenna.

I suspect that houseMate using my ISP anthenna, as a radar or scanner, to find all TURNED ON computers around and connecting to its motherboard. Of course he may not break into OS, but using my laptop RAM-CPU-NETWORK CARD, once it gets electric power ( Once I click power button ).

This problem persist, over 5 years, with:
My bought 3x computers from a store ( with box and warranty ): 2x desktop ( 2000; 2014 ), 1 laptop ( 2018 ).
(Once was) Borrowed 2x laptops.
I know exactly what it is, it's not a virus, it's not your roommate/housemate "persay" and no NO ONE is connecting to your computer..... I had this same problem over and over sharing houses... Even if he has his own internet and motem and router and all this and that.... You still have TWO internet signals being drawn from one source split to several and this is causing your slow down/lag "latency" issues... I know from experience... And trust me if he was using your pc/laptop at all over 5 years even diffrent Devices. He would have do he something by now. Trust me i know, and from the sounds of it you may not use internet much but he for sure does and no matter what you think your pc is connect to internet it's using the internet. Looking for updates, ad's, microsoft backup's... So even though your not usong the internet your still are and him downloading,gaming,streaming off his intenet will still slow down the over signal to you house which means your pc which means updates and all that which means lag

May 13, 2019
I will add more info, if i get some.
I will try once again, If you are sure that:
There is no way to use ( not OS ) RAM, CPU, Internet Card components -> of Internetless computer ( I/O locked in UEFI ).

I will even tempt to use standard account & safe mode ( if exist on win10 ).

I wont lie that was slightly confusing... But yeah in General even if the pc isn't using internet it again still is able access, provide, what ever you want to do with it.... Internet and more... If the pc has bluethooth you could have 4 people connected to your pc..... But again im telling you your being paranoid and no one is messimg with your computer download and run bitdeffender if your that paranoid and worried it will detect backdoors and entrie ports to your pc

May 13, 2019
I meant to say:
Housemate using my computer component's ( once it is turned on, only ).
It has nothing to do with router settings.
Nothing to do with firewall.

Ralston18

Titan
@postor

This thread is 10 days in existence with over 451 views.

Overall, @mdd1963 has made considerable effort to help and address the issues that you are concerned about. Likewise @white.a.drew...

And I find myself in full agreement with mdd1963's current assessment.

Please understand and be convinced that no one, under the described circumstances, is accessing or otherwise using your laptops and computers.

I will be more than happy to be proven wrong if you can (as has been suggested) provide some actual facts or other proof of the suspected incursions or hacks into your computers.

Will speak only for myself here but I know I cannot solve what I believe is an imaginary problem.

Barring any meaningful facts or proof, I believe that this thread should be closed accordingly.

Nothing further to be gained.

Reactions: white.a.drew
Status
Not open for further replies.