Somebody help!

xillrashun

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
Hi, I was wondering if someone here could be the answer to all my problems.

Well, I had built my own PC about 2 and a half years ago, and it was all working fine and dandy until about last week. Suddenly, one day when I'm on the computer the monitor screen turns white with small vertical stripes, and I have no idea what happened. So naturally, I simply restarted the computer, and it functioned properly afterwards.

But since that day last week, my computer has repeatedly done the same thing, now happening much more frequently. It seems that whenever I try to do anything when the PC is under load -- burn a CD, print a document, etc -- the monitor goes white and renders the computer inoperable. I'm pretty sure even when the monitor goes white I cannot do anything; as in, when I try to control+alt+delete the computer into restarting nothing happens.

I can always load windows, but once I'm logged on, its only a matter of time untl the dreaded "white screen of death." Anybody have any suggestions? I'm not sure if it's the video card, since it only seems to occur when the PC is under load... or is it? Processor? Hard drive? Motherboard? I'm all out of ideas over here, so any response will be greatly apperciated.

TheRod

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2002
1. Have you done some app./drivers update in the period where your problem started? If you are not sure, try a "System Restore" to a date prior to the problem. If this correct the problem, it's probably that you have installed some piece of software that caused instability.

2. Have you try another monitor or have you tried your monitor on another PC?

3. Have you try another Video Card or updating your video drivers?

4. Have you removed all your crap? Virus, SpyWare, etc...

--
It's tricky to use words like <b><font color=green>AMD</font color=green></b> or <b><font color=blue>Intel</font color=blue></b> in a signature some users could think your are biased.

ksoth

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I responded to your post in the CPU section, referring you to check your video card fan. For future reference, try not to post the same message in multiple sections.

-------------------------------------------
<font color=blue> "Trying is the first step towards failure." </font color=blue>

xillrashun

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
Now that you mention it,

I recently blew out the dust out of my case with compressed air. And normally when you blow the air on fans (such as the cpu fan, case fan, etc), they spin freely; but on the video card, when i spray the air on the fan, the air alone isn't enough to make the fan spin. is this normal? because I'm unsure of whether or not the fan is blocked or just spun by motor...

Oh, and sorry for posting in several different areas. I just figured that was the best way to get a response. I won't do it in the future, since I can see how that would get annoying.

ksoth

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
The fan should spin freely if you blow on it. Odds are your fan is dead or dying. You should buy a new fan, or if the card is still under warranty, RMA the whole card because irreversible damage may have been done to the chip, and it may void the warranty if you take the fan off and put an aftermarket one on.

<font color=blue> "Trying is the first step towards failure." </font color=blue>

xillrashun

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
Well I picked up a new video card today (I was due for a new one anyway) and the computer now works! Thanks a lot for your help, especially you, ksoth.

ksoth

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Glad your problem is solved, but I guess it's unfortunate you needed to replace a component to do it! But hey, now you have a new video card which I'm sure is better than your last one.