[SOLVED] someone connect his router using LAN connection from my main router how can I block him? is there any way?

evandertapel

Commendable
Oct 25, 2017
Hello everyone someone help me please We have two routers first is from ISP and the second one is the main router that I connected to distribute the internet using LAN cables but I found out someone here in our office connected his router using the lan provided to him without permission for him to have his own WIFI connection the question is is there any way to block his router from the main router? I don't want to confront him

Solution
If you're saying the user is directly connected to the router via a cable then there's nothing you can do to block the traffic. They have access to the router. If they are accessing it wirelessly from another router then depending on the router you installed and it's features: Access Control, MAC address filtering, assign the other router a static IP then loop that traffic to a dead end.

gmagdna

Prominent
Jul 16, 2018
If you're saying the user is directly connected to the router via a cable then there's nothing you can do to block the traffic. They have access to the router. If they are accessing it wirelessly from another router then depending on the router you installed and it's features: Access Control, MAC address filtering, assign the other router a static IP then loop that traffic to a dead end.

Solution
I found out someone here in our office connected his router using the lan provided to him without permission for him to have his own WIFI connection the question is is there any way to block his router from the main router?
You can find mac address of this "rogue" router and block mac address.
But if "rogue"router is being used as access point (without nat), then you'll have to block mac addresses of all the wireless clients individually.

Ralston18

Titan
I will add that although you do not wish to confront him, the matter needs to be addressed by management.

Confrontations are not nice but it does not need to happen that way.

What he is doing is putting the entire network at risk for hacking, data loss, and just failures in general.

If you do not raise the issue you may be deemed as an accomplice at worst and personally/technically ineffective at best.

Most companies and organizations have rules regarding employee's use of technology. If your office does not have such rules then those rules need to be established, published, and distributed to all employees. And each employee should be made to sign that they read, understand, and will abide by the rules.

For now, simply tell him that what he is doing is putting the network/data/office/company at risk. He may or may not stop.

If he does not stop then you must escalate the problem upwards. And maybe start drafting some rules to present to management.

Google words such as "office technology rules", "IT policies", and so forth. Limit the search to the last year or so.

Plenty of examples and templates to work with. Re-write as necessary for your office environment.

For example here is a link covering a wide range of policies:

https://www.techrepublic.com/article/100-it-policies-at-your-fingertips-ready-for-download/

Then use your policies to educate and train employees accordingly.

Some folks will always try to work around the rules; written or unwritten.

However, signing an agreement that puts their job at risk (should there be a direct, intentional violation) sends a strong message.

There is an easy solution.
  1. Who is in charge? Is regulating the router access a task that belongs to you?
  2. If you are not responsible for that task, then let whomever is responsible handle it.
  3. If you are responsible then you should not worry about letting the other person know you have to stop their connection.